PDA

View Full Version : Replacing wheels studs?

deevergote
08-28-2004, 06:25 AM
When I got my car, it was missing a stud on each of the front wheels. Now, I plan to make AT LEAST 200hp to the wheels with this car, and that won't hold for long! I haven't even attempted to take the wheel assembly apart yet. Before I go and screw something up, I might as well ask on here to see if anyone else has done this!

Will I need any special tools, machines, or even a professional mechanic to replace the wheel studs? I'm kinda thinking of it like replacing the rotors on my 4th gen... nearly impossible without a hydraulic press...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-28-2004, 07:55 AM
The front wheel stud replacement does not require a press or any special tools. You will however need to remove the axle nut and move the hub out slightly to allow the studs to come out of the back. Reinstallation requires a lug nut and some washers. Put the washers on the stud (wheel side) and then tighten down the lug nut. This will effectively press the new stud into place. Also, check out the shop manual at http://www.pauldesign.ru for more information.

deevergote
08-28-2004, 08:04 AM
Ok, great! Thanks a lot!

Now, to find some studs... :lol:

nswst8
08-28-2004, 08:41 AM
And a 3lb sledge is the only way to do wheel studs. :rockon:

deevergote
08-28-2004, 08:45 AM
The axle nut and the hub seem to be the causes of concern... I believe that's where the trouble starts on the 4th gen.