PDA

View Full Version : B&G Springs w/ Koni Reds

markmdz89hatch
07-24-2002, 11:00 AM
Hey guys, what do you think about this setup? I already have Koni Specials for the front waiting to go on, and last weekend put on KYB GR2's for the rear. I just got a set of the Koni Specials for the rear, that I'll be putting on as soon as I get my springs.

So, here's the final result. I want to keep the Koni's and get B&G springs. I need to know what you guys out there think. Do you have these on your car? Would you suggest them to me?

If I go with this setup, what else will I need/should I change to do this right?

Jims 86LXI HB
07-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
Hey guys, what do you think about this setup? I already have Koni Specials for the front waiting to go on, and last weekend put on KYB GR2's for the rear. I just got a set of the Koni Specials for the rear, that I'll be putting on as soon as I get my springs.

So, here's the final result. I want to keep the Koni's and get B&G springs. I need to know what you guys out there think. Do you have these on your car? Would you suggest them to me?

If I go with this setup, what else will I need/should I change to do this right?

I would definately get the rear koni's and offer you GR-2's to someone that either has a unlowered car, or is running H&R's or neuspeeds as those springs have the softest rear spring rates among lowering springs for our cars. If your car doesn't have a stock rear sway bar you should get one and install it. Other wise you're looking at a kickass set-up that's gonna rock your world, with some awesome handling. P.S. a set up like this will be handicapped if your not running a set of good performance tires, perferalbly 15" or better.

markmdz89hatch
07-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Thanks Jim, now I'm really looking forward to getting this done. As for the sway bar, would you suggest Addco, or S/T?

Are there any other things that I'll have to look out for? Camber, etc.?

As for the 4 little round things, I am running 15x7 for the wheels, and 205/50/15 NItto 450's in front (soon to be on all four corners).

Jims 86LXI HB
07-24-2002, 12:28 PM
You cannot get the addco bar, no one has it, and I mean NO one. I called Addco and found out that they are on backorder, they won't make anymore until they have 10 ordered. Right now they only have one one order, you can bet they won't be availble any time soon. So get the ST bar. Your cheapest price should be nopi.com, because of state sales tax shox.com will be higher.

You will not need a camber kit, not with a 1.5" drop. Stickier tires than the NT-450's would let you feel more of what your set-up can do for you. NT-450's are on the mild side in my little world:D

AZmike
07-24-2002, 12:37 PM
I am considering the B&Gs when it comes time to upgrade my suspension. Be sure to post once you've given them some testing time.

Jim, if I want to stick my my factory 14" and get 4 Dunlop SP Sport A2 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Dunlop&model=SP+Sport+A2 would I still benefit from some suspension work? The car will see a lot of highway use so I didn't want to get new wheels that use more expensive tires that have significantly lower wear ratings. I know I will lose some traction, but buying springs and struts once is OK whereas buying new tires every 15-25k is not.

Thanks

markmdz89hatch
07-24-2002, 12:47 PM
jIM,
What tire would you suggest? I need a good tire for the street that, in similar case to 89lxi4dr, will last me a little while as I put a lot of miles on the good 'ol hatch. 80K mi. in the last 20 mo. lol.

I will be autocrossing with a diff. set of wheels/tires. Same exact type of wheels w/same size tire, just a really gooey tire (Yoko. A032R's)

Jims 86LXI HB
07-24-2002, 01:12 PM
Kumho 712's are a pretty darn good tire with a thread rating that should let them last awhile. Bridgstone RE730 are just as good,but much more expensive. A even better choice would be the Falken Azensi sports, but the kumho's will out last them.

You'll benefit from suspension improvements no matter what tire your running. But you won't get all the handling benefits without nice performance rubber. Put it this way. Installing lowering springs with struts that are valved to deal with stiffer lowering springs will transform how your car feels. When you then move up to performance tires it gets even better, if you were to move up to at least 15" AND performace tires that would be yet another transformation. I know I put my stock wheels and tires on this summer and whoa!, what a difference.