PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Pedal Travel

taakahirano
08-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi, i was wondering if there is a method to adjust the clutch pedal free play on my '89 accord exi. My clutch engages/disengages near the end of the travel of the clutch. probably about good 5 inches or so. Help?

thanks

AZmike
08-28-2004, 10:34 PM
The clutch cable should be adjusted so that there is about 1/4" of free play in the cable at the release arm on the transmission. Follow the cable and there is a plastic adjuster knob a few inches above the release arm.

It should not be adjusted based on where you want the clutch to engage. Otherwise you may end up with a setting that never allows the pressure plate to apply full force or that never fully disengages.

Slavic
08-30-2004, 05:25 AM
Hi, i was wondering if there is a method to adjust the clutch pedal free play on my '89 accord exi. My clutch engages/disengages near the end of the travel of the clutch. probably about good 5 inches or so. Help?

thanks

Wanna swap clutch pedals? I wanted to ask this for a while so I'll just use this occasion. First of all I don't think the OP was talking about the actual clutch adjustment rather about the clutch pedal.
I noticed that the 87 clutch pedal is much higher than the 89. Because of that I find it is very awkward and tiresome on my leg to keep it above the clutch pedal and even causes me to disengage the clutch unwillingly over bumps.

Further more it has some free play on the top and then some free play at the bottom of it's travel path after it disengages. That to me makes the clutch pedal process a 3 step instead of a 2 step process (on an 89). I would press the clutch, than depress the clutch pedal a couple inches until it starts to engage (a step that takes some getting used to to learn to feel the pedal), then engage it slowly whereas on an 89 I would press the clutch than immediately engage the clutch by depressing the clutch pedal because it has no or minimal free play at the bottom of it's travel path once the clutch is disengaged.

I also noticed on the 87 that it jerks and has a loud thump whenever I shift from 1-2 by quickly stepping on the clutch pedal ALL THE WAY. It is dampened if I don't push it all the way, but that means I need to train my leg to push it just part of the way to the point where it disengages which is much more easily accomplished if it was limited in it's play at the bottom which it isn't unlike the 89. This was present in the last car I owned also an 87 whereas 89 shift process is incomparably smoother.

So I see what you're saying and I myself would really like to know if there is any way to change it but I'd like to change it to how you have it set up right now and I can't understand why you would want to have it set up any other way.

BTW My clutch is set as tight as possible. I'm not talking about clutch free play here.