PDA

View Full Version : 87 DX "3 Door" Starts then dies

dumbcarpenter
08-29-2004, 06:59 AM
Okay, so about a year and a half ago I buy this car at auction. I am happy cuz it runs all the way home. Two days later when I go to get the tags, it dies out on the way and won't start again for about an hour. Then it runs another 5 minutes or so. Both times the tach stopped working a couple minutes before it died. :dunno: This starts a whole chain of "unnecessary" maintainence. I have changed: fuel pump, distributor, fuel cut-off relay, and ecu. Currently the problem has progressed to the point that it wont run for more than 5 or ten minutes at a time. I would really appreciate any insight. :sadwave:

Mac
08-29-2004, 08:14 AM
You might want to check the ignition coil.

dumbcarpenter
08-29-2004, 08:30 AM
You might want to check the ignition coil.
Would that make the tach not read?

Mac
08-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Yes it could. But a loose or broken wire could also.

smufguy
08-30-2004, 09:00 PM
first off, you dont have a ECU, ur emission box does next to nothing.

Sounds to me that ur carb needs to be adjusted. Also a main point with the stock carb is that, you need to let the car warm up before u can move it. Cause if u dont, this old carb will leave u stranded and wont start for a long long long time.

If ur tach keeps dying, then like mentioned, check ur coil. Usually the coil does not go bad, but the radio condensor. The small rectangular box shaped thing that is hooked up to the ignition. Check and change it and also if u have not changed ur plugs and ur cap and rotor, i suggest that u do.

change all this and also add in a bottle of carb cleaner into ur gas tank and see if it helps out everything.

shepherd79
08-31-2004, 02:59 AM
i have to agree with smuff, sounds like something wrong with your carb. you can rebuild it or if you live in the state with no emissions, get rid of all thise pesky vacuum lines.