PDA

View Full Version : so the B20 clutch went...?

Civvy
08-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Need some help here guys please

Driving along in the car on a monthly 350mile drive to my parents and suddenly she wouldn't go in gear easily, then eventually not at all!
So i thought crap were on holiday and the last thing i want is this! So managed to get her home matching the revs and slipping it in with no pressure and using the starter for initial setoff.

So two days later we managed to get the clutch after much pleading with motor factors over getting the part this weekend and not after the bank holiday. I got out the old clutch and found that one of the composite rollers (instead of springs) had somehow smashed its way free and then disintegrated. anyways in went the new clutch torqued the bolts and did everything so.

But, here's were it is, started the car and felt the clutch - feels great adjusted correctly pressure's there - no probs....?
as i tried to put it in gear it wouldn't go in. I switched the engine off checked i done everthing right- no probs i can see. tried the gears w/o the engine - no probs. started the engine in gear with the clucth pressed in and let it out - it works!
So NOW i have all forward gears but, sometimes its crunching and wont go in reverse, also when im engaging a gear it has a strange noise!!
I cannot point the finger anywhere! only question i have is, Iv'e never stripped the B20 box before and i haven't a manual on it. So i'm a little unsure about the oil. There's a bolt on the topside of the gearbox that looks like the filler - but how do i know how much and where is the level? my a20 box has a filler plug on the side and floods out when its level. I went on the amount that drained, about a litre???
The car is drivable but, for reverse i sometimes have to start it in gear with the clutch pedal down. - so its not a gear problem its an engagement problem
Thanx for your help guys

RobT5580
08-29-2004, 08:12 AM
It could be the oil level. There is a drain plug at the bottom and the fill plug just above the axle line that you fill up until the oil comes out. I would check that first by taking the fill plug out and put your finger in and it should be up to that level. Im guessing this is your problems since you didnt mention putting fluid back in after the clutch and im sure you lost fluid when you pulled your axles. You can go to honda and get the manual tranny fluid or use regular engine oil but i use Honda fluid even thought its not cheap.

Civvy
08-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Yea, i have put a litre in but i haven't found a fill plug like the a20 gearbox! this one's on the top of the housing not the side.

RobT5580
08-29-2004, 01:57 PM
There is a plug on my B20A tranny the F2K5 and i recall the B2k5 i had did have it as well.

shepherd79
08-30-2004, 03:14 AM
if you have oil in your tranny. lets say it is up to proper level, and the car still doesn't want to shift, it is not he gear box, it is the clutch. since it is new, you have to break it in. take it for a drive and see what happens.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OIL IN THE TRANNY!!!!!!

Civvy
08-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I put in another litre today - now i've got 2litres in.
I no longer have changing problems and she's driving normal again
Except, - in any gear or neutral if i push the clutch pedal down all the way its making a metalic catching sound if i lift it a touch it goes off!
Also and more annoying. in fourth and fifth its whinning away to itself. but i've done 350 miles today and no probs

shepherd79
08-30-2004, 03:39 PM
add another .5 or .75 liters of oil. it should be betweent 2.5 -2.75 quarts. which is equal about 2.3- 2.4L.

Civvy
08-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanx guys

RobT5580
08-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Glad it worked out i recall having a problem like that with my other accord and it was because it had no fluid in the tranny. The shop that did it was trying to scam me and of course the tranny blew but thats what happens when you go to scam artist shops for auto work. So hopefully the other problems will get taken care of and hopefully there was no damage to the tranny.