PDA

View Full Version : Really High Ideling

mag_pbg
08-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I took my throttle body off, and fuel rail off today, becuase I was thinking of taking off my intake manifold, so I put everything back together with all the vac. lines in their spots but now my idle is around 2k, I screwed the idle screw in as far as it would go but it only took it down to about 1900 rpm, my and my dad went a looked at it and he thinks where the throttle cable and kickdown cable connect onto the throttle body is sticking, but I havn't had this prob. ever, I usually idle to low around 400 rpm's to me it seems like the vacume for the idle is shot, do you guys have any ideas

A20A1
08-29-2004, 04:31 PM
well you could have a vacuum leak, cause you removed things without replacing the gasket... also old vacuum line ends expand and as they dry out and get old they stay expanded so they don't seal well on the ports...
Did you put back the coolant line? I think the cold idle may be kicking in becasue it's not getting hot coolant to close it off? I dunno how it works, I'm just guessing you have a cold Idle vavle.

it's easy to tell if the cable is sticking becasue the idle won't drop when you remove the cable...

mag_pbg
08-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Is the cold Idle valve the valve on the side of the intake manifold with like 2 or 3 coolant lines running in and out of it¿

A20A1
08-29-2004, 04:58 PM
I dunno, I have the intake manifold but no lables... You have to look at pauls shop manual... or ask an efi techi...

mag_pbg
08-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Im prety sure it isn't the cold idle control valve, If it was vacume related, which vacumes do you think they could be¿ Also is there any chance that it could be the the assembly that the throttle cable connects to sticking, it goes both ways fine, and goes to where it idles fine.

mag_pbg
08-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Ok to give you a better idea of whats goin on this is what happens. You turn the key, fires up and idle starts at 1500 rpm, but it slowly starts to climb and stops around 2k.

A20A1
08-29-2004, 06:19 PM
does the throttle body have an idle diaphragm?
One that works off of vacuum... like when vacuum drops / lowers the idle goes up... normally this is how it's supposed to work... but a vacuum leak will drop the vacuum and cause the idle to raise even though other areas are getting high vacuum.
Normally you have high vacuum at idle and that keeps the idle diaphragm from engaging / raising the idle.

AccordAddict
08-29-2004, 06:54 PM
heh, my car is idled high also (1500 rpm). i read in the shop manual, you can adjust the bolt on the AC Idle Boost Valve and that will lower your idle if you cant adjust it by turning the idle screw. but i havent tried it yet, too lazy.

shepherd79
08-30-2004, 03:10 AM
you are correct. fast idle valve is the valve on the side of the TB.
remove two screws on the top of the valve. take a wide screw driver and screw it in. you should see the idle drop.
if it doesn't drop, replace the valve.
your fast idle should be 1400prm when the car is cold.

mag_pbg
08-30-2004, 11:04 AM
Ok so is this the fast idle valve http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31634&highlight=fast+idle+valve it is #7, if so should all i Have to do is take the top off and adjust it till the idle goes back to normal. Also could low coolant levels have something to do with it, I some fliud earlier, but nothing bad.

accordlxi2.0
08-30-2004, 12:23 PM
yea.
i say screw it down to 1,200 rpm's (when cold) adjusting it this way, when you start the car it'll warm up quicker plus not doing any harm on the cold engine.

mag_pbg
08-30-2004, 03:28 PM
Could part of the prob. be the fact that my battery was completely shot.

shepherd79
08-30-2004, 03:34 PM
well, you didn't tell us that you had low coolant level. full it up and bleed the coolant system.
after that you can adjust the valve.

mag_pbg
08-30-2004, 04:24 PM
sorry about the low coolant, but anyways I turned the cold idle valve down as far as it would go, now the idle is at about 1500. I can live with that concidering for a long time the idle was at 400.

AccordAddict
08-30-2004, 06:42 PM
did you replace the cold idle valve or did you just adjust the stock one? if you adjusted the stock one, could you tell me where its located im not familiar with the "cold idle valve." thanks, because i have to adjust mine also.

mag_pbg
08-31-2004, 05:24 AM
it is facing the firewall, on the intake manifold, right beside the throttlebody, you should see two coolant lines running into it, and two screws ontop.

AccordAddict
09-03-2004, 03:05 PM
um i turned it all the way right, nothing happpened, turned all the way left, nothing. its a golden screw right right by the throttle body (above the throtle body) right? heh...

mag_pbg
09-03-2004, 08:39 PM
nope, that would be your regualr idle screw, if you are looking striaght at the motor, it should be the only thing right behind the top of the intake manifold on the manifold, you should be able to see the top of it, it is just like a round valve and has two screws on top of it, philip head screw to be exact.

AccordAddict
09-04-2004, 05:09 PM
ok thanks, ill check it out tomm morning.

mag_pbg
09-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Just be carefull when you turn the scrwe on the cold idle valve, it isn't really a screw so much and mine ended up breaking a little

accordlxi2.0
09-04-2004, 05:26 PM
once i convert efi i don't think i'll need that fast idle valve, the car seem's to warm faster when it's just idleing.

AccordAddict
09-04-2004, 06:12 PM
you know i have a efi right? I hope i have the valve your talking about.

accordlxi2.0
09-04-2004, 07:36 PM
yea dude, that's why i said once i convert to efi i'm not gonna use that valve, it'll warm up quicker and do a lil' less damage to the engine since it's jkust idleing.
just take it out and block it, and have it at the regular rpm's it'll be fine.