PDA

View Full Version : life span on bad syncros?

88'er
08-31-2004, 06:41 PM
i've got sycros going out, they kinda grind going in to 2nd and 3rd, but usually only when you get on the throtle kinda hard. i am just curious how long i can go before i need to get the syncros replaced?

adams86lxi
08-31-2004, 06:45 PM
try a bottle of that lucas transmission fix! I used some on my old trans when it started to grind going into second alittle at high rpm and after i put some in, it never grinded again.

Slavic
09-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Don't get lucas oil stabilizer. I had the same problem in 3rd gear so I tried it and it didn't do nothing for me. Get penzoil synchromesh from AutoZone. It will show an immediate improvement as soon as you test drive it and will fix your manual tranny in a week's time.

Lucasoil gear oil might help, I wouldn't know cause I used both 25% and 50% lucasoil stabilizer mobil one gear oil mix but I'm all for synchromesh. Don't bother with lucasoil stabilizer for a tranny. From what I understand it works well for engines, I'm using it in mine with MobilOne right now before I switch to AMSOIL, but from my experience it made no difference in a tranny. Synchromesh did, big time. I recently looked through a DSM (eclipse, talon, laser) board and it's the only thing they'll use for a manual tranny, mainly because it's yellow metal.

AccordEpicenter
09-01-2004, 01:15 PM
run straight GM Syncromesh... Friction modified, not standard, only dealers have the Friction modified... Go to any GM dealership and ask for part # 12377916

adams86lxi
09-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Don't get lucas oil stabilizer. I had the same problem in 3rd gear so I tried it and it didn't do nothing for me.

I said get lucas TRANSMISSION FIX not lucas oil stabilizer. I havent heard much about synchromesh but might as well try that too.

Slavic
09-01-2004, 04:15 PM
I said get lucas TRANSMISSION FIX not lucas oil stabilizer. I havent heard much about synchromesh but might as well try that too.I wasn't necessarily knocking what you said but if I remember well from reading their flier I was under the impression the tranny fix was for AUTOs only hence I didn't use it. The flier said to mix 25% stabilizer for regular and 50% for heavy duty manual trannys. I might be wrong.

AccordEpicenter, I've heard good results reported for both Penzoil and GM, but didn't realize there was a difference other than the price. Just out of curiosity, care to briefly explain or link to an explanation why and how superior it is? It's about twice the money too no? Thanks.

I think this just confirms that you're right about there being a diference: The Penzoil one references GM part number 12345349 (spec9985648) or GM part number 12345577

mike king
09-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Are these produts (Syncromesh,Luca, etc)really quiet the grinding down for a long time or just temporary? My sychros pretty gone if these products work than that could save me $2,000 rebuild.

i've got sycros going out, they kinda grind going in to 2nd and 3rd, but usually only when you get on the throtle kinda hard. i am just curious how long i can go before i need to get the syncros replaced?

Slavic
09-01-2004, 08:40 PM
I just changed mine, so I can't tell you from experience and don't care to guess, but I'll point out the obvious: spend the $10-20 before you spend the $2000 and find out how it works out for you. I'd check into getting another car for the $2000. That's steep.

AccordEpicenter
09-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I think this just confirms that you're right about there being a diference: The Penzoil one references GM part number 12345349 (spec9985648) or GM part number 12345577

Ok guys i had a really bad grind from 2nd to 3rd at just about anything over 4500 nomatter how fast/slow i shifted, plus the tranny felt notchy and shitty in general... I was running straight 10w-30 for about 20k miles... so i switched to straight Syncromesh FM (friction modified, $12 a qt...) and all the grinds are gone and the tranny feels much much much smoother. The regular syncromesh is nice, its like honda MTF, which is what the round bottle Syncromesh and the penzoil syncromesh are, the Friction modified is a differnt part number and itll work better than the standard syncromesh fluid (it better for $12 a qt, its only available at gm dealerships) Youll need to drive it for a good 500-750miles to get all the grinds to go away, so if i were you id switch to gm syncromesh Friction modified (youll need the part numbers, none of the dealerships had any fucking clue of what it was... take them with you) and drive it easy for about 1.5-2 weeks and the grinds should be gone unless the syncros are sooo shot that nothing will help them.