PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan not working..i think

od2681
09-01-2004, 10:00 PM
hi
for a past couple of days my car runs kinda hotter than usual..
it could be the freeway driving but i think my fan is not working....when im at a standstill in traffic the temp goes up to half and when im driving it drops back down to a quarter...
it always stayed at a quarter..
does anyone know what the problem might be if the fan is not working or is this normal

k-roy
09-01-2004, 10:41 PM
You should pop the hood while the temp is up a bit to see if the fan is running or not. While you are at it check your rediator level AFTER your car cools down at least 10 minutes after turning it off. Oh crap you have an lxi soo the fan should run after you turn the car off if its hot. IF it is not then check the fuse and relay. The wire may be damaged too, the harness comes in from beside the battery and the connectors are geen. You can try one of the other relays that you know is good if you need to. How long has it been since you flushed your cooling system? If its been a while you should flush it out and fill it up. IF your coolant is even low then you should top it off and bleed the air out of the system (check the howto). You could also have a bad coolant hose so give those a good lookover. Check out your thermostat you might want to chenge that if its bad. Hmm the only other possibilities are the water pump ($26) and the radiator($125).
Good luck and keep us posted.

od2681
09-01-2004, 10:45 PM
thanks ill try to check wahtever i can from that list tomorrow...

sofaking_bob
09-02-2004, 12:16 AM
my cooling fan currently doesn't work at all.. i had to turn it off because it was running all of the time and killing my battery. my car runs at about half normally. when i sit in traffic or at a drivethru... it goes up to red. also, because of the fan being off and the engine not cooling itself off and all.. my pgm light has came on and i think that my cooling sensor is fried because i have to wait about 3 hours before i can start the car again. i'm getting that fixed sometime this week or next though. could be your fan. you should check it out, or have it checked out.

accordlxi2.0
09-02-2004, 07:10 AM
you can check for code's, by looking under the seat.

but my 88 lx, the temp gauge move's but does'nt go up to the half mark.
the other day i took out the starter and i happened to open the rad. cap and it was low on coolant.

od2681
09-02-2004, 07:20 AM
my car always throws a 13 code...for the egr not functioning properly...i dont care cuz i had i replaced it and it still does that

accordlxi2.0
09-02-2004, 07:29 AM
oh that was meant for sofaking bob.

okay, did you have the radiator flushed.
and did you check to see if the cooling fan's ranned.

od2681
09-02-2004, 12:03 PM
is that for me???
i dont know what you mean by "ranned"??
and no i havent had my radiator flushed.....

how do you check if the relays are bad or not..i checked the fuses and they are in good shape......im new at this
i went to work...the temp barely got up to a quarter on the temp gauge...so the fan didnt really run or anything...

od2681
09-04-2004, 08:29 AM
bump

$40089'accordproject
09-04-2004, 08:53 AM
same shyt is going on iwht my car right now and it is being worked on right now i am putting 4 new sensors in and new fuses and new relays because i knopw the fan works but tha guy that is working on it live next door kinda and he worked at honda he say it is some enigen wiring

HondaBoy
09-04-2004, 09:25 AM
when my thermostat broke a few years ago, the fans wouldnt come on. that left the car overheating and having the radiator fluid overflowing in the resivior tank. i didnt let it do that for a long time. i took it to get it fixed. its really easy to fix that though, i now know that. lol. also, earlier this year i found that my smaller of the 2 fans wasnt working. i tested the circuit on the plug and it was fine. so the motor on the fan was burned out. i replaced it with a higher CFM universal fan and it works fine now.

rideredorgohome
09-06-2004, 05:10 AM
my cooling fan currently doesn't work at all.. i had to turn it off because it was running all of the time and killing my battery. my car runs at about half normally. when i sit in traffic or at a drivethru... it goes up to red. also, because of the fan being off and the engine not cooling itself off and all.. my pgm light has came on and i think that my cooling sensor is fried because i have to wait about 3 hours before i can start the car again. i'm getting that fixed sometime this week or next though. could be your fan. you should check it out, or have it checked out.

UMMMMM FAN SWITCH????? Just a thought.....

od2681
09-06-2004, 08:33 AM
where would the fan switch be...all my knowledge would let me to check were the fuses and relays and they are working....

accordlxi2.0
09-06-2004, 08:36 AM
well there is one sensor on the thermostat housing, i belive that's for when the engine turns off.
the other sensor or "main" sensor, is located at the pass. side on the bottom of the radiator.

od2681
09-06-2004, 08:45 AM
what does it look like....sorry for newb questions

Chadroper
09-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Mine did that until I put 2 boxes of parts on the car. Radiator, fusees, switch, sending unit, fans, shrouds, and wiring.

Mac
09-09-2004, 06:11 PM
what does it look like....sorry for newb questions

If you are asking about the fan temp switch, it is round and screws into the bottom of the radiator. There is a electrical connector with 2 wires. If you disconnect the connector and short the 2 wires out, turn on the key. If the fan runs your fuse, fan motor and relay are good.

You might want to check the thermostat also.

od2681
09-09-2004, 06:20 PM
ok i narrowed it down...the fan worked when i shook that connector you are talkin bout...its on the passenger side around the radiator on the bottom...the temp was bout half way and i shook it a little and the fans turned on....
so you think it might be a bad conexion??

Mac
09-09-2004, 06:58 PM
It could be, or 1 of the wires going to it. Take the connector off and look at it. See if the wires are loose or if the contacts are dirty.

Blkblurr
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Sounds to me that your thermostat is stuck part way open. When your at idle you don't get much cooling due to not moving so the temp goes up. when you get moving your temp goes below normal due to too much cooling.

sofaking_bob
10-09-2004, 09:24 PM
wow... i vanished for a while... i knew about the codes uderneath the seat.. it was flashing a 6 which was the cooling sensor.. had it fixed, two blown relays.. the people at the local dealership didn't have anything on the car and had to get the schematics downloaded from honda after that they found out what was wrong, but didn't have the parts to fix it, and had to get those from honda as well. all in all for the cooling system they charged me about $250 bucks, but they charged me another $550 for changing some boots and drums on my front axle.. they told me that the engine was in great shape and that we had been taking care of it and there was no reason why it wouldn't still be on the road for another 250,000 miles or so.. which would rock ass.

Brentm
10-10-2004, 02:04 PM
hmm my brother has an 86 bronco 2, and his fan died, so he went out and bought a big crazy electric fan that attatches to your rad, and then you wire it up to a switch or whatever, is this possible to do on the 3g? plus would it add any extra horsepower? they are pretty big fans that move a lot of air. Im thinking like a 2hp gain.