PDA

View Full Version : rear brake swap

Coy
09-02-2004, 10:26 AM
im planning on swapping the rear brakes on my 2g accord and i hear that i can get them from the 85 prelude. im not sure which models have them, wether i need the front rotors and calipers, and what exact parts i need from the rear.
what about the booster and master cylander, id guess it would swap over from the lude and id bet id need that as well.

does the 85 Si have springs cause im not finding part numbers for them, i havent yet had a chance to head to the junk yard to take a look yet so i figured id just ask.

Coy
09-05-2004, 06:24 PM
i found out that the ludes booster and cylander are both direct bolt ons.

now all i gotta do is find out what other parts i need. i know i need the rotors calipers, rear hoses, e-brake cable, and the caliper brackets but im not sure what else i will need or if thats everything.ive never done this myself before and i dont perticularly want to let the car sit on b locks in the driveway cause my neighbors are assholes and theyd either fuck with it or something else i dont wanna deal with.

Justin86
09-06-2004, 10:35 AM
I would imagine that you would need pretty much the same stuff that is on the how to for the brake swap. Get some j/y time and comapare the two suspension and get a good look at the differences.

Coy
09-07-2004, 10:22 AM
aw, the preoportioning valve, didnt think about that.
didnt know there was a how to on it, but it doesnt help me a whole lot cause mines an 85. but informative nonetheless.

Coy
09-08-2004, 10:31 AM
ok so i guess im on my own on this...

i still cant find any part numbers for springs on the 85 ludes.

Busted_Blue
09-08-2004, 10:45 AM
whhat kind of springs..

Coy
09-10-2004, 08:43 PM
i cant find numbers for any of the springs, wether its stock or aftermarket.

Busted_Blue
09-11-2004, 12:38 AM
when i get back to my apartment i'll try and grab up some part numbers.

Coy
09-11-2004, 12:43 AM
cool. 85 right?

Busted_Blue
09-11-2004, 01:08 AM
no i got that part catalog..hopefully i can draw up some numbers.. wont be till sunday night though..

PhydeauX
09-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Being problaby the only person to have ever done this I have all the info you need.

The swap is pertty easy, but I will warn you you will need a very slight bit of welding done, more on that later.

The parts you need from the prelude:
E-brake cables
Rotors
Calipers
Caliper brackets
Propotioning valve
The booster and mc are not needed.

I'd recomend pulling the parts off of a Si prelude, it looks like they use a sligthly larger rear pad.

All of the parts can just be unboled off from the rear axle of the prelude and go right on the accord, plug and play. There will be no place to secure the breake hoses but zip tieing them to the strut body is fine, same for the ebrake cable and the suspension arm, just keep it from hitting the tire. The only hand up you are going to run into is attaching the ebrake cables to the handle. The preludes ebrake sits farther back then the accords so the cables are about an inch shorter then the adjuster can compensate for. What needs to be done is the threaded adjustmen rod needs to be cut near the handle and a 2" long piece (to give you a bit of play) needs to be welded in to lengthin it. The only other hitch is the proportoning valve bracket is a little diferent shapre, but just "adjust the bracket with a saw and hammer then carefully bend the lines to they mate up with the new valve and your fine.

andy

Coy
09-14-2004, 11:23 AM
hmmm, i may be able to figues something out for the ebrake cable vesides welding stuff. as far as the mc and booster ill prolly end up changing them as well, just for the fact that the ludes has a slightly bigger bore.

as soon as i get a chance a buddy of mine has the prices for the parts. hopefully by the time im done ill have my digital camera back and post some pics...