PDA

View Full Version : How does the bypass value work?

chiller670
07-24-2002, 03:05 PM
some CAI come with a by-pass valve how does it work? And if it get activated how does ur engine get air?

anchovies
07-24-2002, 09:07 PM
something like sucking on a straw with a hole
somewhr...i won't suck up the water
so in other words..u won't get "as much" air if u put on the bypass

shepherd79
07-25-2002, 03:50 AM
but it is better than sucking water in your engine.

POS carb
07-25-2002, 06:34 PM
yea, my friend fukkt up his ranger when his iceman sucked in a puddle

89accordlxi
07-25-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
something like sucking on a straw with a hole
somewhr...i won't suck up the water
so in other words..u won't get "as much" air if u put on the bypass

I don't think this statement is totally true. With the straw analogy, you are talking about two totally different fluids, water and air. Water is a lot heavier than air that is why you suck more air than water with the straw with the hole in it. If you were to take the straw with the hole in it and totally submerged the straw+the hole in the water and sucked, you would get nothing but water, just as much as you would with a sealed straw. That is why the bypass DOES work. When driving normally, the air at the filter has less resistance than the air at the bypass valve so the intake pulls from the filter. However, when the filter gets surrounded by moisture, the pressure drops causing more resistance and the resistance around the bypass valve is now less so the intake will pull from the bypass. Just like the straw with the hole....the end of the straw is submerged in water so when you suck, you suck the air not water. I think the AEM engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the bypass valve. They wouldn't be known as one of the top CAI sellers for inventing stupid things.

What I wrote might not be exactly true, but I think it is pretty close.

Peace out..

A20A1
07-28-2002, 12:52 PM
I like the idea of bringing the cold air to the filter instead of the filter to the cold air.
It saves on excess intake pipe and the need for bypass valves.

shepherd79
07-29-2002, 01:47 PM
ok, take the straw and make a small cut before it reaches the top.
than putt itin the water and try to drink it.
it will bring some water, but mostly air. that is how it works.

monsonhonda
07-30-2002, 04:40 PM
right, and then take the straw and put it in air, remember, air is all around you, you dont need to fill a cup, this is what your intake is like when its not in a puddle

definately for the bringing of air to the filter and not the filter to the air concept though, alot safer, and allows for larger openings for sucking in air.

peace

fussell

NeubJ
07-26-2003, 08:52 PM
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0104scc_tested/

Dibbs
07-28-2003, 06:21 AM
Great link Neub! So by their explanation, the rubber flaps in the valve create a positive seal so as not to let air bypass. This would defy the "hole in the straw theory" which is the way I thought it to have worked as well. Since the only time the valve opens is when a positive pressure medium (water) is introduced into the system, power loss would be minimal b/c the engine starts it's air intake at the valve instead of the filter, then of course one the water level drops, the intake starts back at the filter. This was a great explanation of how the system works and I am officially sold! If/when I get a CAI for my car, I will make sure I get an air bypass valve.