PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

88BlackEXi
05-03-2002, 02:33 PM
I saw somewhere on the site the whole make your own turbo thing. Has anyone done this successfully on the stock engine? I'm thinking of asking a few places in my town to see if they feel like trying to make it and install it for me. Kind of a promotional thing.
:smokin:

Don87LX
05-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Justin88turboaccord did it. But his motor is WAY not stock. try it on a stock motor and you can bet on blowing gaskets, cracked pistons and ripped up trannies. you could maybe get away with it if you ran less than 6psi of boost.

toastyghost
05-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Who wants a turbo running less than 6? :P

Don87LX
05-04-2002, 05:04 AM
If you run more then six prepare to blow you engine to shit if its all stock.

toastyghost
05-12-2002, 06:07 PM
No I'm going to do a straight hardcore buildup, don't care the cost. I've got some good shit priced for B-series engines for high-pressure applications. So if anyone is interested, just ask.

A20A1
05-12-2002, 06:27 PM
You can have high compression ratio with low boost.
You can have low compression ratio with High boost.

the main problem is exceeding the limits of the gasoline which if pressurised too much will ignite all by itself, causeing pre-ignition or detonation.

also you have to make sure your internal parts can withstand the increased pressure.
you have to be able to deliver the right amout of fuel to keep a rich mixture...
----------------------
Higher octane
Rich A/F mixture
and retarding the timing (I'm not sure on this one)
will help decrease the chance of pre-ignition.

I would go for 5psi... you can pretty much get any size turbo... but the bigger the turbo the longer the spool up time.

I've seen a blow thru 5 - 7 psi turbo on a weber 32/36... It was very inspirational...

check me on this Justin... I don't wanna be handing out false info.
:)

gr3k0sLaV
05-12-2002, 07:39 PM
How long would one of our honda matics stand up to been turbo'd?

Im still wanting to run a low boost 5-6 psi turbo setup.

Im just wondering is there anyway you can get away without modding the fuel systems (rails, an all that) in other words keeping it all stock?

I know this isn't right, but wouldn't you be able to get away with with the manifold, the turbo, the piping and the boost set to max 5.

Also on Justins turbo what is that blue wire that goes from the ronund thing on top of the turbo?

A20A1
05-12-2002, 08:16 PM
http://store5.yimg.com/I/machv_1681_1916348

Garrett T28 Turbo

Price is for a factory-new Garrett T28/T28 (turbine/compressor) turbo, ported for maximum flow.
$950.00

A20A1
05-12-2002, 08:27 PM
TURBO INFO... READ ALL OF IT (http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm)

Justanothermike
05-12-2002, 11:33 PM
Also on Justins turbo what is that blue wire that goes from the ronund thing on top of the turbo?

its the vacuum line that controls/activates the waste gate. when the turbo produces a certain amount of pressure the waste gate valve starts to open, by passing some of the exhaust gases around the turbo, to keep the turbo from building more pressure.

s0crates82
05-12-2002, 11:48 PM
A20A1:

you said you saw a blow-thru 5-7psi through a weber and it was inspirational

what kind of car/engine was it? stock otherwise? gains?

thanx

A20A1
05-13-2002, 12:23 AM
Toyota truck... I think early 80's

4 cylinder 22R rear wheel drive

I'm not sure about the internal mods or excactly how it was done... I just know it's possible.

MoonScryer
05-13-2002, 04:08 AM
It's possible to turbo anything: 1953 Studebaker for example.

http://www.cancermn.net/TS/TURBO.html

gr3k0sLaV
05-13-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by Justanothermike

its the vacuum line that controls/activates the waste gate. when the turbo produces a certain amount of pressure the waste gate valve starts to open, by passing some of the exhaust gases around the turbo, to keep the turbo from building more pressure.

Ahh in other words that is the famous boost controller?

gr3k0sLaV
05-13-2002, 04:18 AM
Ive got a 6cyl 1966 Ford Falcon XP that i wouldn't mind turning into a turbo'd or S/charged hot rod.

gr3k0sLaV
05-13-2002, 04:38 AM
Ok I need a straight answer...

If I wanted to do a short cutted turbo setup, with a Small turbo
using a max of 5 pound boost, using the stock fuel system, an upgraded igniton coil, 2.5 inch exhaust, piping and all that, and an auto transmisssion with a high stall torque converter...

can it work ?

si-speed
05-13-2002, 06:30 AM
Possibly...

But it will be expensive. You will have to make a custom made exhaust manifold with a turbo flange (sp?). I can't remember how Justin did his but maybe you can get the specs from him.

If you're gonna run "normal" boost (5-6 psi), you won't need a new or big turbo. Something from maybe a Ford TurboCoupe or Mustang SVO. They have a small turbo, I think it was a T-3. Or you could get one from a Mitsu. And I think that's a Garret T-25. I'm not really sure, I have to find the links again. You can pick-up either of those turbos from a junker for about 100, give or take a few. A rebuild kit for a T-3 is about 130.

I don't see any reason why running normal boost will hurt your engine. But you also have to take into account the miles and other things. Personally I would buy another engine just as a back-up in case something goes wrong, 'cause most likely it will. I don't see this being any different than installing a small shot of nitrous with the only exceptions: you don't have to refill the bottle and it's always on.

I thought about it. Did the price thing. Searched for parts and resources. And realized, Damn, I live in an apartment. I can't do this stuff here so I canned it. If I was back home in Greensboro, NC, it would already be finished.

gr3k0sLaV
05-13-2002, 06:40 AM
I live in an appartment to, but im lucky that I know a few people with facilities and tools...and or they know other people with the facilities and tools.

There is someone who was on the old accord msg boards who has an Impreza turbo hooked up to their car.

I was told i should rip a turbo out of a VL commodore, which are T 28's or something.

Well for that basic setup

Manifold $500 give or take.
Piping $100-150 (includes oil lines)
Turbo $100-$400 (depnds on who you speak to)

And there's other things,

A20A1
05-13-2002, 09:23 PM
I have hood/bonnet vent's from the turbo ford falcon... I think it's turbo deisel... not sure... the vents from the factory had 3 slots and had little mesh inserts...