PDA

View Full Version : More problems with stalling

acranox
09-05-2004, 05:53 PM
For those that have seen my previous threads, you know that my car stalls when I take my foot off the gas. I've got the throttle stop screw cranked up, but the underlying problem still exists. Here's some new info. (kinda long post)

Today I replaced all the vacuum hoses. It took about 30ft of hose. I didn't replace the hoses that go into the "mystery box" because that seemed like more trouble than it was worth.
The problem still exists. I know my power valve is broken, so I've got it disconnected, but when disconnected, that leaves it in the 'on' position.

Here are my latest observations.

Twice this week, the car started idling really high, which would make sense if the original problem cured itself, because the throttle stop screw is set high. The first time I floored it in 1st gear, and hit 5000RPM, and then it went back to it's normal idle. The second time I just left it alone. So the problem can temporarily cure itself.

Sometimes though, it still stalls. Often when I'm braking for a red light I'll see the revs start to drop real low. The harder I brake, the lower the revs go. If I stay light on the brakes it won't stall, but if I use them moderately, it'll stall unless I blip the throttle before I stop. Hard braking can definitely make the car more likely to stall, but the brakes work fine, and according to the tests outlined in the Haynes manual, my brake booster is air tight.

The car diesels pretty bad when I shut it off. Usually just one or two clunks. But if it's idling high when I shut it off, it'll keep deiseling for 10 seconds or more, and it really bucks hard.

I did a compression test a few weeks ago. The manual said the engine should be warm, but unfortunately I had problems getting the plugs out, so the engine cooled back down before I could run the test. I tested anyhow, and got about 200psi on 3 cylinders, and about 170 on cylinder #2 (but I think i might not have screwed the gauge in tight enough)
But 200psi is high. Do you think it was high because the engine had cooled down? Or was it something else. I know carbon build up can cause a high compression reading, and that can also cause dieseling.

Does the throttle plate in the secondary barrell ever open fully? When I've used a vacuum pump to test it, it only opened a tiny bit.

I bought a used carb from eBay, it should be here next week. I'm hoping that will solve something. Anyone have any new thoughts about my car?
Thanks.

--Peter

A20A1
09-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Did you connect the pump directly to the secondary diapragm? if not vacuum will bleed thru line # 28 I believe.

Also Dieseling could just be cause you turned up the trottle stop screw to fix your idle.

Did you spray carb cleaner again along the manifold head carb base and PCV system and all that to test for vacuum leaks?
Does your distributor diaphragm hold vaccum?
Is the timing set to TDC without vacuum advance?

I don't remember if I asked this but the top hat gasket should be replaced if old as well as the O-ring for the internal vacuum line to the choke opener.

zero.counter
09-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Have you checked the distributor for leaking seals? If it has oil in it, it can cause problems with shutting off after reaching a certain temp or cause rough idleing among many other things.

acranox
09-12-2004, 04:04 PM
I bought a used carb off eBay. Today I installed it, and the car runs like a dream. No stalling, a nice smooth idle. I had to transfer the fast idle unloader over from the old carb, since the new one had a broken vacuum port. And I adjusted the idle and the float level, but all is well.
I ordered a gasket/rebuild kit and I plan to do the rebuild on the new carb in a few weeks.
I think there may have been a leak between the EFE heater and the base of the carb, so I'll replace that gasket as well.
One interesting thing was that the choke on the new carb seems to have been slightly modified. One of the tabs was bent slightly, so that the choke opener would hit it differently, and pull the choke further open than on my old carb.

thanks guys.

accordlxi2.0
09-12-2004, 04:20 PM
i'm glad for ya. . . .