PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problems...

AccordAddict
09-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Ok i dont know if you can help me but i think its my rear brakes. when i slow to a stop my whole car kinda shakes and shit and also the Ebrake doesnt really work AT ALL. so thats why i think my rear brakes are out cuz the ebrake uses the rear brakes right?

BKKloppenborg
09-06-2004, 04:23 AM
Ok i dont know if you can help me but i think its my rear brakes. when i slow to a stop my whole car kinda shakes and shit and also the Ebrake doesnt really work AT ALL. so thats why i think my rear brakes are out cuz the ebrake uses the rear brakes right?

I just had the brakes fixed on my car and thats what my car did to... You also had to pump the brakes to stop. :ugh: Anyways that is probaly it... Although both of my disc and Dumb brakes were replaced i figured what the hell i will replace both of them at once. :) Good luck!

shepherd79
09-06-2004, 05:44 AM

well, lets start with shaking. shaking has nothing to do with rear brakes.
it is the front brakes. if your steering wheel shakes when you brake, you need to get new rotors. your burned up the ones you have. they got warped because you overheated them.
such a thing can be cause by very heavy braking (last minute braking), a lot of high speed braking, or just plain abuse.
change the rotors and you should be good to go.

about the ebrake. well, i am sure you never changed the rear brakes, so i am sure that the adjuster is frozen and it doesn't adjust the brakes on it is own.
pull the brakes. clean the adjuster, and put everything back. you may as well change the rear brake shoes. after that, if your ebrake still doesn't work, adjust the ebrake from the inside. you should only have 4-5 clicks. if that doesn't work, you have broken ebrake cables. replace them and you will be fine.

smufguy
09-06-2004, 06:05 AM
changing the rear brakes is a bitch for the first time compared to changing the regular brakes pads (calipers). i would suggest that u get the new drums too in the process. I know its not needed, but if ur gonna keep it for a while then i suggest u do so. Regular brake shoes is good enough for driving around, but a lil expensive one like a bi-metallic or ceramic (if available at autozone) get it depnding on the way u drive.

Also about the shaking. Check to see if your upper control arm bolts are tightened and there is not place. also make sure that the control arm bolts are also tight (in the engine bay).

im gonna be changing the front disks too, and man im hoping the axle nut wont give me a big problem.

AccordAddict
09-06-2004, 10:53 AM
ummmmmm ok so its basically the front brakes making my car shake? ill just turn the rotors. and do i need to replace the brake pads in the front? also the rear pads are probably bad or the rotors so ill get the rear turned and the pads changed and if the ebrake dont work still its the ebrake cable?

tatmark1
09-06-2004, 06:10 PM
also front alignment and struts can cause this

AccordAddict
09-06-2004, 06:41 PM
i actually think this is all on the rear brakes. im thinking that the front end shakes is cuz the front brakes only work and back are not working at all, and the ebrake dont work either which works off the rear brakes. ill get the rotors turned in the back and put new brakes on. correct me if im a dumbass for doing this though...

smufguy
09-07-2004, 04:04 AM
i actually think this is all on the rear brakes. im thinking that the front end shakes is cuz the front brakes only work and back are not working at all, and the ebrake dont work either which works off the rear brakes. ill get the rotors turned in the back and put new brakes on. correct me if im a dumbass for doing this though...

ur right. IF ur rear shoes are worn out bad, u will experience bad shake under braking. Before i changed my rear shoes, my car would wabble (you could say) under braking. BUt once i got it done, it does not do that anymore.

Make sure u adjust the tension on the clip for the shoes before you put the drum back on. This is to save about a million pump to the damn brake pedal

Mike's89AccordLX
09-07-2004, 09:09 AM
Ok don't do them yourself it's kind of obvious you can't handle it. Otherwise there will be a 4 page thread on how to take off your calipers. If your car shakes its your front brakes. Our Disc / Drum Setup the discs to 80% of the braking. I've done a ton of brakes and I can tell you its your front brakes. It could be that your rear drums and shoes are toast but that doesn't mean your fronts are ok. They're probably crap b/c the rears are crap and they have been doing 100% of the braking for quite some time. The reason I know you won't be able to handle this job is b/c you asked should I change my pads if I turn the rotors? That is how I can tell how much knowledge of brakes and braking systems you have. So just take it to a shop and have them do it for you.

-Mike

AccordAddict
09-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah im gonna take it to pep boys today and get them looked at, once i find out what the problem is ill either get my dad to do them and ill help, or get pep boys to do them which costs alot more...

smufguy
09-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah im gonna take it to pep boys today and get them looked at, once i find out what the problem is ill either get my dad to do them and ill help, or get pep boys to do them which costs alot more...

here is something fun to do. While the shop changes ur brakes, see if u can look at what they are doing and get some tips. there is pretty much only one way to do this 3g front brake job. I changed mine last night and my driver side was totally gone while the passenger side was okay. This means that my caliper is at fault or there is air in the system ( i know there is). So ask them to show u the old pads so u can tell us how they looked like. See what they say about ur whole brake setup as is and what needs to be changed.

Also, its cheaper to install a new rotor than turning an old rusty one. Cause u can get new ones for 20 bux a piece and turning a rotor costs about 15 bux a piece. IMO, dont bother turning ur rotors, just put a new one on. :)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Jeez I've found OEM rotors for $11 each. But I went and spent $150 for the Sport Rotors :)

smufguy
09-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Jeez I've found OEM rotors for $11 each. But I went and spent $150 for the Sport Rotors :)

cause u suck :) :lol: