PDA

View Full Version : Odd Brake Light Prob.

mag_pbg
09-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I searched for a bit but didn't really find anything that was the same as my prob. The prob. is that none of my brake lights work, except if I pop the headlights up and turn on the lights then they turn on but without the lights on and you step on the brake pedal then they won't come on. Any ideas¿

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Check the fuses for the brake system. The running lights are a different circuit from the brake lights so your tail lamps will function with the headlights on but not with the brakes. If the fuses are good, check the pedal switch, replace if in doubt.

mag_pbg
09-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanx, not to sound stupid but where exactly is the pedal switch besides on the pedal lol, I have checked all the fuses and all of them are good, and I checked the control boc on each tail light and they were also good, I took out a bulb and checked with the volt meter and there was like 8 volts going to the bulb when the lights where on.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-06-2004, 08:16 AM
If you look at the brake pedal, the switch is located close to the pivot point of the pedal assembly. You should be able to easily recognize it. If you are still having trouble locating it, take a look in the shop manual for more info.
P.S.: Manual cars also have a clutch switch which is located right next to the brake light switch. Make sure you are messing with the correct one.

mag_pbg
09-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Allright I went and bought a new switch, my car is sest up for cruise control but I took it off so I bought a switch without cruise cotrol since it was like $20 cheaper, but I need to know which two wires I need to hook up to the switch, looking at my chilton manual it looks like I need to hook up white/yellow and green/white it looks like it will control the lights but bypass the cruise control im I right¿

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-06-2004, 10:49 AM
An easier way to test it would be to connect the wires which you think should light up the brake lights and see if they actually do it. If they do, then connect those two. If they don't, try a different combination.

mag_pbg
09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
But it should work right¿ I mean the lights should come if don't have cruise control hooked up¿

mag_pbg
09-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Im getting so pissed off right now, I boght the new switch, I put the stupid thing in tried every combo of wire and the stupid brake lights still won't come on!!!! I have checked every damn fuse that has to do with the lights and none of them are bad!!!I have school tomorow and work so I would like ot get this done today, does anybody out there know what the cars prob. is¿

mag_pbg
09-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Everytme I hook the white/yellow wire and the green/white wire up to the switch it blows fuse # 4 in the motor fuse box, that fuse is the stop. horn (seatbelt retractor fuse, If I don't get this fixed by tonight Im prob. just going to sell the piece of crap im sick of working on every day!

Mac
09-06-2004, 12:40 PM
It looks like you got the right wires. When you hook these wires together the brake lights should come on. If it blows a fuse, you have a short in the horn, cruise or brake light circuit.

mag_pbg
09-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Sorry about the aditude, but I got fixed I think, the prob. was that the two wires kept on shorting eachother out when I hooked them on the switch, so I took electrical tape and taped the wires all the way around and then connected them that solved the prob., except every once in while I get a whiff of a burning smell like when you short soemthing out, so I don't know if that is from earlier or not, also when I drove round to test it the brakes were really hard and I popped the hood to find brake fluid all over the place.