PDA

View Full Version : machined

chiroprakter
09-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I've rebuilt chevy engines and had head s shaved. Now being a honda noobie is that an option for our cars or no....rebuilding my engine this winter and was just wondering . :dunno:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-06-2004, 10:52 AM
You can either shave the head or use a thinner head gasket on these engines. So yes, shaving the head/block is an option.

chiroprakter
09-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Thnx fer info :)

Robs89LXi
09-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Just curious, how much can be shaved before you run into valve/piston interference?

night
09-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Just curious, how much can be shaved before you run into valve/piston interference?

on these motors just about never. but there is a round tab on the head that shows the max spec. as for the actual number, i dunno

smufguy
09-07-2004, 09:54 AM

the shop manual says the tolerance on it. but i would just shave it only if it badly needs it. but im sure its about less than 1mm or around there.

Vinny
09-07-2004, 10:26 AM
Max resurfacing in .2 mm Its not alot but its still enough to raise compression

Mike's89AccordLX
09-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Now you guys I know I have heard of some stories where people had their heads milled and didn't put a shim to compensate for the metal being removed and guess what it causes the engine to get quite hot since it raises the compression and it will cause slack in the timing belt.

I've heard of this happening on some hondas and I know first hand that it does this since it did it to my fiance's Sunbird. She had a shop put a rebuilt head on b/c hers was junk and they remilled it and didn't put a shim in and 2 years later same problem. So I get to tear into it and I found there wasn't a shim and I went to one of the top Machine shops in the Midwest (2nd to be exact) and he told me that head needed a shim to compensate for the resurfacing that was done. So I got a shim b/c I have to get a new rebuilt head and it was milled. So yeah if you want more compression do it right and get better pistons.

-Mike

Vinny
09-07-2004, 10:42 AM
People need to give up on the timing belt slack. You are talking .2mm. The tensioner is more than be capable of making up for .2mm Heres an end all to it. If it was going to cause preoblems then why would the service manual give that number as a maximum? They dont just pull numbers out of their arse ya know.

As far as the temp goes my head has be resurfaced, so has Jareds, and I belive Dennis as well. None of us have problems. I know mine gets up to temp quicker and runs just a touch hotter (per the gauge) than the sedan, but it doesnt come anywhere near being a problem. My cooling fan rarely comes on and my temp never comes even close to rising above the halfway point on the guage

Mike dont take this the wrong way but this isnt a sunbird. Gm's smaller engines are notorious for going through head gaskets

chiroprakter
09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Sooo...if Iwas bored .30 over with a milled head would dual electric fans cool it down enough? Just wondering cause once engine rebuild is done it's time to start working on the turbo but I don't want the thing to melt.

night
09-10-2004, 06:32 AM
thats what adj gears are for

chiroprakter
09-11-2004, 10:04 AM
K...after a little more research I won't be boring my block. Did not know the the heat factor or to keep a lower comp ratio for turbo but I do thank you all for the replys. :alc:

smufguy
09-11-2004, 10:47 AM
to begin with, its not like we can bore our blocks anyway. Sucks that its a closed deck and we cant even bore them out. but hell, turn up the boost and there u make the power ;)

Mike's89AccordLX
09-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Vinny you are sorta right but don't take this the wrong way. If your tensioner not perfect and is not doing it's job it will cause problems.