i put my car up on stands to start working on it:
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3543&stc=1

and the hole in my block from when it blew, and the crap that came out:
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3542&stc=1
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3544&stc=1

sorry about the quality..., i'm limited by the 83 kb upload for 3geez.com

maka_RTH
09-06-2004, 01:42 PM
also, as a side note, anybody ever had a steelie stuck on really good? and how did you get it off? my driver's side is stuck on pretty good, and i've loaded it with rust eater too.

Busted_Blue
09-06-2004, 01:48 PM
how on earth did your block blow?!

A20A1
09-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Sorry???
The pics are great...
you get 83kb???? I only get like 50 Kb darnit I paid good money for it too. :(

And to think all this time I could have posted much better quality pics.

A20A1
09-06-2004, 01:52 PM
the rod punched the hole I assume.

maka_RTH
09-06-2004, 01:52 PM
lol, i dunno. i was driving down to CA keeping between 90-110mph, and about 200 miles from home my engine blew. it sucked. luckily my friends down in CA came and got me. my uncle was gonna be down in the area so he towed it back to my house for me. just gives me an excuse to build me up a good engine.

maka_RTH
09-06-2004, 01:54 PM
yah, the rod must've done it. i mean, what else would have? and the reason i said the low quality is the one with the car up on stands looks a lil fuzzy around the edges... guess i'm picky with my quality

Busted_Blue
09-06-2004, 02:20 PM
use image resizer from microsoft powertoys. its the best lazy man's tool. Right click a picture and hit resize and it will make it to a smaller size without sacraficing too much quality. majority of my pictures are 800x600 from a 20xx someodd size picture and it stays in the area of 70-150k :D

anyways, what are you planning to build up now?

adams86lxi
09-06-2004, 02:48 PM
damn dude you wernt kidding when you said that hole you blew in your block was that big at the socal meet! That sucks good luck with the build up though!!!

maka_RTH
09-06-2004, 03:40 PM
i use adobe photoshop to resize, i just do the best quality i can without going over 83kb. i hope to pull the engine sometime within the next week or so. when i tear it apart, then i can see what the internal damage was. i'm thinking i'm gonna buy my uncle's 86 LX-i hatch and use the block from that, my head, and part the rest(to include all parts for a 5-spd swap and a spare head/intake manifold).

markmdz89hatch
09-06-2004, 04:27 PM
also, as a side note, anybody ever had a steelie stuck on really good? and how did you get it off? my driver's side is stuck on pretty good, and i've loaded it with rust eater too.

If you just get a soft-sledge (a rubber sledge hammer) and give it a few good smacks on the wheel (not the actual outer rim) it should pop off. I've come across a few of those on the 3G's I had.

Good luck on that motor. That pic is one for the record books.

maka_RTH
09-06-2004, 04:35 PM
i've already pounded it from the backside..., no luck so far. i'm almost thinking i'm gonna take it off with the rotor and whatnot still attached, then figure out how to separate them. well see if it comes off. a sledge might be a lil better than a breaker bar or hammer.

markmdz89hatch
09-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Bang it from the front. If you want, just make sure it's not going to fall off the jack-stands, and litterally kick the wheel. You can get a much better swing of a sledge, or a better kick if you kick it from the outside, instead of being under the car. Just a good knock, or kick at 12 o'clock on the wheel a few times, and it should pop off.

maka_RTH
09-06-2004, 05:02 PM
yah, i've tried that too. i think it's rusted right in the middle, right by the hub nut. i'll prolly try some more tomorrow, maybe get some different stuff to spray on there.

AccordAddict
09-06-2004, 07:22 PM
get a compressor or borrow one.

SteveDX89
09-07-2004, 06:39 AM
get a compressor or borrow one.

What's a compressor gonna do?

That rod coming through the block definitely sucks. How it broke in the first place is a great mystery. Good luck with your new engine and it's build. What are the plans for it?

maka_RTH
09-07-2004, 10:29 AM
well.., i'm hoping to get some 11:1 compression diamond pistons with some eagle rods. i wanna balance the crank up to at least 8k rpms. upgrade oil pump and a few other misc. things for the block. then for the head i'm gonna get it port and polished, upgrade the valve springs, port match my aebs b16a intake manifold(and port and polish that as well). i also read something about using exhaust valves for intake. you have to modify them, but overall you'd end up with bigger valves on your intake. i'm gonna look into that too. that's the jist of the engine. still not sure about engine management/ignition. since sean isn't doing his stuff anymore i might end up going with a sci ignition from msd. anyways, my vbgarage has most everything i'm gonna do if you wanna check it out.

Spoolin'12
09-07-2004, 02:22 PM
i got my wheel off by kicking the upper part of the rubber i forgot how many time i did it but it worked

Sabz5150
09-07-2004, 02:37 PM
keeping between 90-110mph

In what gear?

maka_RTH
09-07-2004, 03:04 PM
lol, mostly 5th, but i downshifted to 4th a couple times trying to get a top speed..., so anywhere between about 4k-6k for about two hours

smufguy
09-07-2004, 09:15 PM
lol, mostly 5th, but i downshifted to 4th a couple times trying to get a top speed..., so anywhere between about 4k-6k for about two hours

wow, no kidding. looks like at that high rpm for that long, you probably heated up the head too much and it basically detonated. There is no other way a forged rod is gonna punch a hole right thru a thick ass cast iron block. cause normal guys cruize around 4k doing 90mph and u were pretty close to redlining. :uh:

anywho, i got the pictures saved and one good thing is that i can now say that we 3gers have a living proof of a rod punching a hole in the block and it all happened without the involvement of boost or mis-shift. wait, did i say mis-shift. but hell, it is sad. :sad2:

maka_RTH
09-08-2004, 12:16 AM
yah. i was watching my gauges the whole way too, and the temp gauge was exactly where you want it the whole time. it kinda caught me by surprise that it happened, then again at the same time i had a feeling that something was gonna go wrong, and i was just praying that it wouldn't be something i couldn't fix on the spot(like a flat or something). guess i don't have much luck...(and i was pushing it a little hard...)

Wipeout
09-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Mine was stuck on too. I ran at it and kicked it for about ten minutes and it finally came off. Sorry to hear about the motor.. but I'll be expecting a 10,000 rpm screamer when you get done. :)

Neuspeed87lx
09-12-2004, 06:51 PM
if you can get the car in the air ... put one lug nut on a few turns so the wheel dosent fly off ... and karatie kick it .... it should come off .... if not ... get a heat wrench (torch) :) and a big hammer.... that seems to work for everytihng ...

maka_RTH
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
well..., if anybody was wondering..., i finally got the wheel off yestereday. i gave it a break for a couple days. and then i sprayed some more pb blaster all around where it touches the rotor and whatnot, and this time i sprayed down the holes in the wheel itself practically on the rotor. anyways, i let it sit for a little bit more(i was doing the cv joints on my 4dr), and then i gave it a good kick on the bottom and it fell off. took way to long to get it off..., but it's finally off. i also got my rear drums/arms off too. i just need to get around to the front and then put my new suspension on.

2drSE-i
01-23-2005, 11:15 AM
i have an auto and i had it at about 110......not very long tho cuz i was scared....

But the temp gauge was right in the middle as always, and the tachometer read about 4....i was really impressed but i didnt wanna blow it because its my dads car and he would kill me hahaha......... He owns it i drive it.

Chadroper
05-03-2005, 09:27 AM
i have an auto and i had it at about 110......not very long tho cuz i was scared....

But the temp gauge was right in the middle as always, and the tachometer read about 4....i was really impressed but i didnt wanna blow it because its my dads car and he would kill me hahaha......... He owns it i drive it.

Could there also have been a defect in the rod when it was manufactured? There could have been a small crack in it.