PDA

View Full Version : why no gas to the engine?!?!

hatchback86accord
09-07-2004, 09:57 AM
well im kinda new but i was wonderin if anyone could help me with this i looked thru all the post didnt see any that quite matched up to my problem..... i was runnin my car about a week ago...on up hill it would sputter like its not gettin enough gas....it eventually died ona major up hill...we pushed it to a flat and got it started 20 min later and i drove it home (no more hills) well i parked it going uphill at my house ( :dunno: dumb idea i know) hasnt started since.....we pulled all the fuel filters out( theres like 3 of them i think) all good, gas can be pushed thru them no problem,, pulled the lines off at diff places and opened them to push compressed air thru them...not a problem no clogs.... to rule out main relay we hooked up battery straight to the pump...it works... th pump ran continously long enough that gas should have run long enough to get to the engine to the carb....could my pump still be able to run but just not strong enpough anymore to push the gas up hill to the engine?...in that case i would have to get a new fuel pump right? i dont have any fuel pressure gauges but i have a feeling my car needs a new fuel pump....need some help!!!

shepherd79
09-07-2004, 10:16 AM
well, connect the fuel line to the carb and run the car.
there is little window that can tell you if the fuel level is too low in the fuel bowl.
if it is too low, you can adjust the fuel level, but beware of old o-rings. sometimes on old carbs when you try to asjust the fuel level, the o-ring will break and it will leak fuel through that screw. there is no way you can stop it unless you replace the o-ring.
the other thing is, you may want to take your carb apart, clean it very very good and use carb rebuild kit to rebuild it.

hatchback86accord
09-07-2004, 11:07 AM
well, connect the fuel line to the carb and run the car.
there is little window that can tell you if the fuel level is too low in the fuel bowl.
...does the carb help pull the gas to the front of the car....b/c there is not even anygas gettin to the second fuel filter it only gets about half way up the lines and we cant get it to push gas the whole way up to the 2nd fuel filter9 in the engine compartment) but both filters are fine.....i took the line apart underneath the car and some gas came out..so the gas is gettin pushed halfway up but wont go the rest of the way....it wont even start i keep turnin the key to the on position to turn the pump on...for as many times as i have done it it should have pushed gas to the engine already and it wont :help:

SteveDX89
09-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Sounds like you have some major restriction in the fuel line. Seems weird that the pump would just quit producing enough pressure to get to the engine. Is the tank close to empty? If it gets close to empty, sometimes the pump won't pick up the gas. I've had that happen already and the car was hesitating like crazy.

hatchback86accord
09-07-2004, 11:22 AM
the lines are completly clear ...checked all of them by blowing an aircompresser thru one end with my finger on the other end to see if there was pressure there was..... i had problems with my gas tank before with it leakin i ran it very close to empty for about 3 weeks only puttin about a gallon of gas in there when i ran it bc it leaked out so fast for awhile.....finally got it patched up and holdin gas so it has about a half tank of gas... the filter screen thing on the bottom of the fuel pump has nothing on it so it didnt suck junk into it...its a eletrical pump in the tank... for some reason it just wont make it far in the car and im outta ideas...sunday i was plannin on replacin the fuel pump but i dont wanna load the money into it yet if it might be something else.. the car wont even start at all right now

SteveDX89
09-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Unless you have really long arms, you won't be reaching from one end of the hard line to the other. I used to have a carb fuel pump that I could have let you try but that doesn't help now. See if you can find a pump at the junkyard. It'll cheaper than buying a new one.

hatchback86accord
09-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Unless you have really long arms, you won't be reaching from one end of the hard line to the other.
no not really long arms :lol: just 2 people to try the aircompressor thing..... i called junk yards only found one so im either gettin that one or goin with the $70 one from autozone...... so could that be what happened?... i strained the motor on the pump for to long and now it doesnt have the strenght to push the fuel to the engine?

SteveDX89
09-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Only thing I can say is to try it. If you get one from the junkyard and it works fine, then boom all better. If not you got some other problem.

tatmark1
09-07-2004, 04:30 PM
have one brand new.$45 SHIPPED

Mac
09-07-2004, 04:49 PM
I never messed with a fuel pump, but I'm pretty sure that there is a strainer/filter on the end of it. It might be worth it if you check that before you buy a new pump. Maybe because you ran the tank low for awhile it might be clogged. Not sure if this is possible, just a thought.

hatchback86accord
09-07-2004, 05:23 PM
checked the filter already theres nothing clogging it... its complelty clean .. i think what happened is i was straining the motor on the pump to much for to long and now the pump is to weak to push teh fuel uphill (because thats when it started sputtering is on uphills) its sitting uphill right now and wont even start bc the fuel is reaching the engine.... tatmark... is the pump u have for an 86 accord? i cant fix this until sunday but i need my car running by monday morning so i may just get it from autozone b/c i have less than a 24hr time period to get this done.... thanx anyways

tatmark1
09-08-2004, 12:48 PM
87 but it will work

hatchback86accord
09-12-2004, 02:10 PM
thanx to everyone that helped me out little by little... i changed the pump, all 3 filters ,and redid some of the wiring.... i now have by baby back with more power than she ever had before for as long as i have had this her.... thanx again :thumbup: