PDA

View Full Version : HU kills battery

BadBeefX
09-07-2004, 05:25 PM
hey guys i have a question. i have an 87 lxi hatch, just installed a new cd player and speakers. i think the problem is the HU. the cd player is a pioneer deh-p3500 and it drains my battery. the battery was just replaced a few months ago so its probably not that. and the car will keep its charge for a long time if i take the cd player out, but when i put it in, the battery will only last for a few days. i know the cd player kinda stays on when i turn it off to keep all of its settings, cuz when i disconnect it and reconnect it, it loses all of its previous settings, but i wouldnt think it should drain a battery in a few days. i did blow a fuse when i was installing it, but that was cuz i stupidly mixed the wrong wires. i replaced the fuse and im pretty sure that the wires are in their right places now.

so whats draining the battery? and how do i fix it? id appreciate any help, thx.

catalin
09-07-2004, 07:27 PM
What did you connect the wiring to?? Do you remember what the constant Pioneer wire (yellow in color) and the accessory (red) is connected to? How about an external amp, did you install one.

AccordAddict
09-07-2004, 07:49 PM
my dads prelude has the same problem. he has a sony headunit. and its ALWAYS on, a couple days later the screen is blinking and his battery is dead. i dont think hes fixed it yet. i guess its cuz the headunit is always on, maybe you should detatch your faceplate when your car isnt on if it is detatchable. just a guess...

shepherd79
09-08-2004, 03:32 AM
if your radio stays on, when you turn your ignition off, you wire it up wrong. it should turn off when you turn the ignition off.

HostileJava
09-08-2004, 08:25 AM
When you say it stays on do you mean that the settings and time are saved or that you can actually use it and play music? If it's the latter then somting isn't wired right. The former is normal. That little bit of power it requires to store those settings will not drain the battery. I'd say it's more then likely somthing faulty in the wiring or for some reason the battery is holding very little charge. Have it tested at autozone or a similar place.

BadBeefX
09-08-2004, 03:24 PM
the pioneer yellow (+battery) is crimped with the stock white wire.
the pioneer red (ACC) is crimped with the stock yellow/red wire
and i dont have an external amp installed

o ya when i meant it stays on i meant to save the time and settings, i cant turn the HU on while the keys are out.

ill try taking off the detachable faceplate as soon as i charge the battery, and bring it into pepboys or autozone. if neither of those fix it ill probably cut the ACC wire. thx for the replies