PDA

View Full Version : dropped car with rims in winter?

dmitri84
09-08-2004, 08:42 AM
hey i'm planning to drop my 86 4 door about 2" and put 17's or 18's on it, but it snows here during winter and sometimes its pretty bad... what do i do? :bow:

shepherd79
09-08-2004, 08:57 AM
1. have two sets of tires. keep stock rims and put some winter tires on it.
2. get another car for the winter.

HondaBoy
09-08-2004, 10:27 AM
most people i know will just have 2 sets of rims. luckyly i dont have to worry about winter mess. you could have your nice rims and also have some nice looking rims off another honda or acura. that's what i'd do.

SteveDX89
09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
The problem is not the rims, it's being too low. You'll get stuck all over the place especially if they don't keep up with the roads very well. I just bought a beater with 4 wheel drive cause I don't feel like dealing with it and letting the salt fuck my car up anymore.

dmitri84
09-08-2004, 12:11 PM
thanks for ur replys guys, but i know that the true problem is being too high up and not the rims but the option of getting new car just won't cut the mustard for me, not because of price and hustle of buying new vehicle, but the INSANE insurance rates here in ontario, canada :sad2:

The problem is not the rims, it's being too low. You'll get stuck all over the place especially if they don't keep up with the roads very well. I just bought a beater with 4 wheel drive cause I don't feel like dealing with it and letting the salt fuck my car up anymore.

RobT5580
09-08-2004, 12:40 PM
If you go that low you will have issues if you get any accumulation of snow. But if you want to be low and get around the best suggestion would be to get some GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice snow tires. They are not cheap but i never owned snow tires in my life and i bought these last year for both my accord (both lowered) and i never ever had any traction problems or got stuck. These tires stick to the road and are just awesome snow tires.

night
09-08-2004, 02:05 PM
dont seem to have a problem with winter driving around here

:kekeke:

SteveDX89
09-08-2004, 03:12 PM
dont seem to have a problem with winter driving around here

:kekeke:

Quiet you! :)

ehulst
09-08-2004, 05:18 PM
If you go that low you will have issues if you get any accumulation of snow. But if you want to be low and get around the best suggestion would be to get some GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice snow tires. They are not cheap but i never owned snow tires in my life and i bought these last year for both my accord (both lowered) and i never ever had any traction problems or got stuck. These tires stick to the road and are just awesome snow tires.

we have yokahoma's on my moms wagon.....man those baby's grip......i tried throwing the car side ways around a corner after a shitty plow night........didn't even get oversteer it was so strong on not sliding......def must get......

Justin86
09-10-2004, 07:46 AM
well are you getting adjustable coilovers or not. Could just rasie the car up when you need it............

86LXItooFAST4me
09-10-2004, 07:56 AM
yes, there are advantages of living in Texas!! Cuz "Texas is tha home of tha players and pimps!!"

dmitri84
09-10-2004, 02:55 PM
oh, really? i didnt even know about those yet... are they significantly more expensive?

well are you getting adjustable coilovers or not. Could just rasie the car up when you need it............