PDA

View Full Version : i think i got bad grounds?

BIGEEZ
09-09-2004, 12:32 PM
my car is weird. i am driving and every time i turn or bump my cd player turns off than back on. of me to turn it back on sometimes i got to wiggle the keys. also if i want to open my sun roof i got to hold down a cable on the bottum of my passenger side seat. any geez out there understand whats the deal?

danronian
09-09-2004, 03:23 PM
First look under your passenger's seat at that cable that you need to hold and see if it is physically damaged, or if the connector is loose. I really don't think there is any grounds underneath that seat but if that wire is damaged replace it with a good one and see if that helps you out. Sometimes one wire like that can mess up a whole car.
As for the radio problem that just sounds real strange that it has anything to do with the keys. Well it could since the keys turn on the car and all, but that shouldn't affect just the radio, that should affect the entire car. If your radio is a stock unit I would be sure no-one ever messed with the wires behind it and if it is an aftermarket unit pull it out and make sure all of your connections are good and that they are insulated with something to keep them from shorting out.
Also just look under the dash above the pedals for any wires cut or rubbed. When I was installing my tweeters I found a whole bundle of wires under my dash that for some reason had all of the coating worn off of them (I'm guessing from my big feet rubbbing against them while shifting), so do that too.
If that doesn't help also go under the engine bay and make sure your battery terminals are secure and non-corroded and take off all of your grounds, sand the contact spots a bit and re-attach them. Also look for any frayed ground wires.
Good luck with your electric mystery!

Blkblurr
09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
you need to pull the gauge assembly loose from the dash and check the connectors on the back of the gauge cluster are tight. if they come loose many things in your car will not work. It happened to my 89 SE-i

hondamanlxi
09-10-2004, 12:50 PM
im confused? how could a cable under the pass seat have anything to do with your sr?

Vinny
09-10-2004, 02:11 PM
The sunroof open and sunroof close relays are under the passenger seat. They are 2 seperate relays, one for opening and one for closing. They are, however the EXACT same relays. I had to change the open relay on the sedan a while back. The roof woulldnt open unless you played with the switch over and over. Closed every time just wouldnt open

As far as the radio goes ................
does the blower motor/fan switch for the heat/AC cut off when the radio does? The radio and blower motor run off the same circuit on the key switch. Not the actual tumbler that you put the key into. Theres an electrical switch connected to the back of the ignition switch. Mine went out on the hatch last summer. The radio wouldnt turn on and neither did the blower motor.

Both are pretty easy fixes and are in Pauls Manual

BIGEEZ
09-16-2004, 01:08 PM
thanks for the info. i am going to try it out and see if that works.