PDA

View Full Version : tinting?

hatchback86accord
09-09-2004, 06:17 PM
anyone know the pa laws for tinting... i found a blue tint (35%)at autozone i wanna put on my hatchback...is it legal ? (i've been introuble with the cops to many times and wanna stay out of it for once)

AccordAddict
09-09-2004, 06:32 PM
blue tint doesnt sound illegal, and i dont know the laws of PA but where i used to live it was 35% and here in GA its anything (no law on tint). but i would say your legal... but dont take my word, some other guys on here will post soon...

PortugalFocus
09-10-2004, 04:53 AM
I have seen a VW Golf and a Neon around here with 50% tint and they are A.O.K.

The tint laws vary from county to county in PA. In Berks where I live the limit is 35%

hatchback86accord
09-10-2004, 05:15 PM
am i ok to put it on back window though? i have one of those defogger things and when u look at my back window at and agale it almost looks as if it had something on there before...is it still legal in pa?

danronian
09-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Actually the thing is the laws have changed in PA lately (past 5 years) about window tint and today any tint on a car's front or side windows that is not put on from the factory is a fine-able offense, the thing is pretty much all cops look the other way at it unless they just feel like giving you a hard time. My uncle was a traffic cop for a few years before being a Berks county detective and he says that if your can see in the window enough to make out a face, you should be fine. The best way to find information on tint laws is to go to the PA department of Transportation website and search. The hardest part is finding the website but after you do that the actual page with the tint info is easy to find. There is certain colors that aren't legal though, make sure you check the page out first. If your trying to do the tint yourself for the first time start on the front windows and then do the back sides. The rear window really isnt possible w/o strips of tint overlapped and then cut or w/o tint that you can use a heat gun to adhere. I did all of my tint myself almost 2 years ago and it looks great and is holding up perfectly. It is easy to do yourself but you need a lot of patience and a few extra rolls of tint. I found the best quality tint to be the metallic kind from Walmart. It is thin enough but at the same time is really easy to keep crease free when applying. Don't go with the dyed type or it will turn purple in months. Good luck on the install.

Ludi Mali
09-10-2004, 09:31 PM
if you don't wanna tackle the rear window ( i tried 3 times with a full sheet before i gave up) you can take it to a pro, the guy i know did it for 35 which isn't bad since you don't have to worry about cutting strait and all. The sides are cake tho.

88Accord-DX
09-10-2004, 09:43 PM
if you don't wanna tackle the rear window ( i tried 3 times with a full sheet before i gave up) you can take it to a pro, the guy i know did it for 35 which isn't bad since you don't have to worry about cutting strait and all. The sides are cake tho.
I'm with Ludi Mali. You don't want to even mess with trying to tint the back window yourself. It is too much trouble. Pay to have a pro do it. I paid $75 to have mine limo tinted. Good luck trying to do it yourself.