PDA

View Full Version : Finally Im boosting!!! YAYYY

AccordEpicenter
09-10-2004, 12:34 PM
Ok guys its taken me a 2.5 day thrash at a friends house to get her together, i custom made my own turbo mani (its decent... not some shitty flowing log) Custom coach FMIC, 2.5" charge piping, short open downpipe 2.5" (sounds like ass but its not TOOO loud)... Garret .60 .63 T3 off of a turbo mustang, damn ill post pics if i can borrow a digicam. For management i have a SAFC and MSD Boost timing master, the safc is running the 450cc 1g dsm injectors and its working nice. So far i was taking it out and tuning it and it would take absolutely an eternity to make boost... id have to be in 3rd at about 5500 rpm to make 3-4psi boost, but once it spooled this car has one HELL of a top end pull, even at 3-4psi. Im having clutch trouble at the moment, my spec 3 puck clutch is not cooperating. First thing once i had it somewhat satisfactorily tuned is i raced my friends mini cooper supercharged S with some minor mods... cai etc and we were side by side (i had a few feet) until about 95 mph and then he started to pull away... this is while my clutch is slipping like crazy, only making the peak 4 psi at the top of 3rd.... BTW i found out why she wouldnt build boost at all until way later... the wastegate actuator rod fell off....

The hard parts of the install: making the manifold and getting it to fit, i didnt take into account how low the turbo sat so i had to notch the front beam (not badly... just beat the living fuck out of it with a hammer etc) and cut about 1/2 an inch out of the front motor mount... also the front mount intercooler was a bitch... other than that it wasnt too bad. The manifold took a long time to fab too.

Current problems:
The turbo smokes quite a bit, i have the oil feed line turned down 1/2 way or so with a ball valve but i think my oil drain is kinked... ill figure it out... oh yea and my GOD FORSAKEN CLUTCH

hondamanlxi
09-10-2004, 12:44 PM
why so little boost? or was the wastegate messin with the pressure and "boost timing"?

that is so fuckin awesome! im so jealous its not even funny! On the bright side, i have new wack-off material;)

AccordEpicenter
09-10-2004, 12:47 PM
why so little boost? or was the wastegate messin with the pressure and "boost timing"?

The wastegate actuator rod fell off so the wastegate stayed completely open the entire time...

NXRacer
09-10-2004, 12:53 PM
thats awesome man! Congrats! Cant wait to see pictures. Did you finally get your shit from sean or what?

NXRacer
09-10-2004, 12:54 PM
The wastegate actuator rod fell off so the wastegate stayed completely open the entire time...
if you were making decent boost in 3rd gear with the wastegate open, i cant imagine what its gonna be like with it working.......

dub88acc
09-10-2004, 12:56 PM
That is so raw man, so have you felt a major difference, or do you just like the sound of a turbo? Anyways, post your times as soon as possible and hp and torque fiures of course.

Elijah
09-10-2004, 03:31 PM
It seems like a whole new car doesnt it.I love being boosted.I had the a similer problem.I could not boost over 4 psi but I was running out of fuel.Stock pumps are garbage.At 4 psi I was only makeing 115whp I think.If I remember correctly.It was only for one day.I love street tuning.But once you get it how you like it.You should get it on a dyno.Better to be safe then sorry.

AccordEpicenter
09-10-2004, 04:38 PM
well i gots the walbro 255 intank, right now im at 5psi steady, it spools up as it should, about 4k (on a lengthened wg rod and .63 turbine... not TOOO shabby) but..... my clutch is almost completely gone but now she blows off softly... but blows off nonetheless... people look at it like WTF? Ohh hell ya, im falling in love with the car all over again :) except for the S#(*)$& CLUTCH

Elijah
09-10-2004, 04:57 PM
I got my new ckutch.Just have to change it.I have the centerforce stage 2 in there now and it sucks.So I know where your comeing.As soon as I hit boost it starts to slip.
I now have a stage 6act waiting to go in

hondaman87
09-10-2004, 08:17 PM
nice work

AccordEpicenter
09-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I now have a stage 6act

A stage 6 act? How much/where did you get it? I gotta yell at somebody about this clutch (spec stage V)... i have 600 miles on it, 65 of which are in boost and it wasted itself within most of the past 65 miles... wtf?? I was thinking about trying a clutch masters stage 4 or somthing... not sure yet. Interesting thing is that my intercooler at the inlet side is nice n toasty, on the outlet side going to the TB its STONE COLD... when i mean STONE COLD i mean STONE COLD...

smufguy
09-11-2004, 10:54 AM
damn bro. That is what im talking about. mad probs to you. I have to talk to ACT and probably get a custom made street disc or their not-so-hard engaging race clutch with their extreme pressure plate. I am thinking of sending in my clutch and pressure plate (old one) and try to get them to match me an already existing high torque one. But this is all for next year. Im glad u got it done bro. And thanks for telling us the problems u run into, cause that would help us future boost-freaks to watch out for them.

AccordEpicenter
09-11-2004, 11:43 AM
yeah idk we gotta get somthing clutch wise... im talking to clutchnet also... Surprisingly enough i didnt run into too many problems with the safc and 450cc injectors... i thought it would have been much harder to tune... im running it rich now but its really easy and the car runs pretty good

shepherd79
09-11-2004, 01:24 PM
how long does it take to spool up? i think your turbo may be too large for the engine unless you are planning on dragster.

Accordtheory
09-11-2004, 04:47 PM
throw some pics up, I want to see that shit!

smufguy
09-11-2004, 09:35 PM
from what i can remember those turbos were kinda small and came outta a 6cyl ford right? I have seen one in the junkyard and was suprised to see that on a ford and looked like a mustang. They look like the 14B turbos or even the stock dinky ass turbos on the S14s.

well, i bet he lags till 3k.

AccordEpicenter
09-12-2004, 02:32 PM
well its a t3 off of an svo turbo mustang... it spools at 4k, not terribly laggy... itll support 300whp, i believe its the second biggest T3 compressor other than the garret turbonetics super 60 compressor wheel (only like 50 more whp) there is a difference between an actual super 60 compressor and a standard 60 trim t3 compressor. It is a little large for 5psi right now but itll give one hell of a top end at any boost level due to the .63 exhaust turbine