PDA

View Full Version : Help Transmisson problems

franks89sir
07-24-2002, 10:01 PM
ok the other day one of my transmission lines started leacking and i didnt notice it tell i was driving when my car wouldnt shift so i hurryed up and parked it and replaced the line and filled it up with transmission fluid for fords and chevys for about a week it ran fine and i kept checking the level and it was good then the other day it started to slip in 2nd gear and then would jerk realy hard in third i just replaced the transmission in september my dad said i should get the honda tranny fluid and he said hopefully it would solve the problem but i havnt had any troubles with it tell i put that chevy tranny fluid do u guys think that will help pleeeeeeeezz respond:burn:

GreenMachine
07-24-2002, 10:21 PM
ummmm... I believe that our tranny just takes regular 10w-30, I've checked into and thats what a couple auto stores told me.
Possible the chevy tranny takes thicker oil and is causing this problem. hope this helps

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-25-2002, 12:16 AM
That's the manual trannies that use the 10w-30 motor oil. For the autos use genuine Honda ATF . I would recommend having the transmission completely flushed -- which does not mean drain the old fluid and put new fluid in. Doing that still leaves quite a bit of old fluid in the torque converter, whereas flushing gets allll the old fluid out and then you can fill it up with new Honda fluid (just like your cooling system). I wouldn't put this off because that other fluid probably isn't too good for your tranny.

:)

franks89sir
07-25-2002, 09:38 PM
so how do i flush my tranny do i drain it put the new honda tranny fluid and shift it threw the gears and then drain it again and fill it up or do i have to take it to someone

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-25-2002, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure exactly how they flush it. I would just take it to a shop (that you trust of course, if possible) and tell them you need your tranny flushed. Find out though what kind of ATF they use. It is important to use only genuine Honda ATF, or you'll find yourself having wierd shifting problems. If they won't put in the Honda ATF, you may just have to take it to the dealer.

:)

hondaisthebest
07-26-2002, 07:46 AM
They use a special machine that pump all the fluid out of your tranny. But if you are too lazy like me and dont want to bring your car to the dealer. Just take out the drain bolt and Drain the half of you tranny approximatively 3liters run your car a week and do it again until your tranny fluid is redpink and very clear!!
Not good as the first method but safer for your seal!!!

hondaisthebest
07-26-2002, 07:48 AM
ps:like jared said use ONLY GENUINE HONDA FLUID!!!
ATF TYPE Z

DanG86LX
07-26-2002, 08:19 AM
Went to Honda dealer yesterday to buy some parts and since I have to flush my tranny too, I asked some Q. $150 (~$100US) with the flushing machine, they run a cleaning fluid first and then 10 liters of ATF-Z1 (Honda's ATF) probably to flush the cleaning fluid first and then to fill the tranny!

offthahook
07-26-2002, 12:32 PM
Worth $100 if you ask me... Replacing Honda trannies is not cheap and the wrong fluid will shorten the life in the long run.

njpeter
07-28-2002, 05:33 AM
I would fully agree...get some honmda fluid in there in a hurry..check the shift cable also. migth as well buy a junkyard tranny for what a rebuild costs ( better then 2k) $3.50 a quart is a bargain