PDA

View Full Version : carb question?/ auto tranny question?

accordlxi2.0
09-10-2004, 06:15 PM
okay i got to drive my 3g today but i'm curious.

okay as i was told and could've sworn though that the 1986-1989 accord's did'nt have an electronically controlled automatic transmission, but this is weird.

i know my 86 did'nt have one, this one i'm stumbled.

okay i was driving, like around few time around the block(can't go too far on expired plates)
but i had gotten up to 35mph and the trans was already in 4th gear, this was when i was driving like a granny.

but when i drove normally it did'nt reach 4th gear until i was going about 41mph.

now what got me really curious was when i went through an alley as it went from first to second, then i let go of the gas then went to touch the brake pedal it went back into first.
i did the same but this time i did'nt touch the brake's i let it coast then once it got down to 10mph it went back into first.

so then i went back on the road got up to 40mph and up, t/c locked i barely tap the brake's enough not to slow the car but once i did that the t/c unlocked.

i guess it's low on fluid but im gonna go check right now, though.

but before i typed this, i searced on here but could'nt find nothing, then searched the web and found a couple of site proving that some of our 3g's may come with a electronic controlled auto tranny.
i know that in 1988 the prelude came with a electronic controlled tranny, both engine's carb and fi.

i'm kinda stumped here.

A20A1
09-11-2004, 02:20 AM
I say it's fluid... plus the act of braking could affect the fluid in the trans.

accordlxi2.0
09-11-2004, 09:20 AM
okay i checked the fluid it's full, and it's new.
the previous owner left a recipt indicatingthat the tranny fluid was recently changed.
plus the dipstick is different, not the screw on type it has a yellow dipstick.
now and under the power steering hose , and a/c hose, their's is a wire harness and it goes over the trans then 2 or 3 wire's coming out, then this metal cover, i seen two things that looked like solenoid's, i'm assuming solenoid's because they each have a wire leaving the side of 'em.

A20A1
09-11-2004, 12:34 PM
metal cover on the trans? you need to take a pic.

accordlxi2.0
09-11-2004, 02:53 PM
it's like a thin metal thingy, plus it's kinda hard to see, cause the p/s and a/c hose and the wire harness plastic thingy, over it too.

oh i forgot to tell you about the carb problem, it's like when it warm's up to mormal temp, when you press the gas, it'll stay at 2,000 rpm's, then in order to to it back down is by pulling the gas pedal.

ya would'nt happen to know whould ya . . . .

plus about this tranny curiousity, i mean is it VERY unusual for 3gs' to have it.

i mean like i said before, i know the prelude came out with this type in 1988, even the honda civic came out with these type of tranny's.

accordlxi2.0
09-12-2004, 10:03 AM
bump?

accordlxi2.0
09-12-2004, 02:57 PM
am i alone???

A20A1
09-12-2004, 03:14 PM
nope, I'm just waiting for a pic... it is rare to see the e-trans...

accordlxi2.0
09-12-2004, 04:21 PM
allright i'll try to post pic's a.s.a.p, but what about that problem with the carb though??

thozf
09-14-2004, 10:52 AM
Isn't there some spring either on the carb or the pedal itself that is suppose to return everything back to normal? This ususally only happens to mine when my floormat gets shoved up too far and causes the pedal to hang.

accordlxi2.0
09-14-2004, 11:32 AM
it's nothing like that, the pedal return's but not the idle its as if the fast idle system turns back on.

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2004, 06:35 PM
UPDATE::
okay if you still want the pics i'll take em, i need to get a battery for the cam.
but in another thread it made me pissed, i checked further on down the wire's and it was tucked under the plastic cover that protect the wireharness.
but i pulled the wire's and they were'nt even connect it. . . . . . .
so like i said in the other post i stand corrected.

but it's strange though it still shift's unless the solenoid are in a open position . . . . . .

but what about that high rpm problem??

accordlxi2.0
09-22-2004, 10:25 AM
bump?

A20A1
09-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Stuck throttle plate or linkage... this is about having to pull the pedal right? you may want to add a return spring if carb cleaner doesn't help and you don't plan on a rebuild... loosen the throttle cable a bit too and see if that helps.

accordlxi2.0
09-22-2004, 11:49 AM
it's weird though a20a1, i can start it without pushing the gas pedal(when engine is cold) which i like.
but it's like as it warm's up the higher the rpm's go.
if the throttle plate was stuck would the gas pedal stay down also.

i'm gonna try that though lubricating the spring.

A20A1
09-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Wait... you mean the pedal is stuck up too?

When the throttle is stuck then the cable has plenty of slack.

accordlxi2.0
09-23-2004, 09:39 AM
nope no slackin the cable.

and get this i have something's that's worrying me.
the engine make's like a tick/hiss sound.
it was coming from one of the sparkplugs it was loose, VERY loose.
i looked at it, it seemed crooked, then i took it out it was not only very worn plus stripped at the top, so i took one of my old sparkplugs, which looked newer than it, screwed it in, it seem's fine.

the second thing is when i go to press on the brake's, the back kinda sqeak's (well i assume it's because it was in the garage for about 2 month's without being moved).
i go to take off(i drive in my alley).
hit the brake's and the back lock's up compared to the front.
i mean they seem like they easily lock up compared to my 86.

now thier are to solenoid's that is joined withing the vacuum line's that goes to the throttle controller, and each of em' click on and off rapidly, till the gas is hit, they'll stop.
then on the driver side thier are some solenoid's that click on and off when the engine is cold though, then i guess they stay open when the engine is warm cause they get warm too.

but i have to admit though for a that need's a new dizzy, sparkplugs and a few other thing's, it's got some nice ass take off.
i like the torque steer! i don't know why.
and when the window is rolled up it quieter.

but the thing's i mentioned above, i really need some input . . . . . .. .
thanx-n-advance.

accordlxi2.0
09-24-2004, 02:57 PM
bump

accordlxi2.0
09-24-2004, 06:28 PM
noone???

accordlxi2.0
09-25-2004, 03:01 PM
:sad2: