PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Infinity Reference 6x9's?

MIK3
09-12-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm planning on purchasing these for my dx in a couple of weeks. I was just wondering how good they sound w/ out an amp or subs. I'm only running 6 1/2" References in the front, and I wanted to see how the 2 way 6 x 9's accomidate them. So if anyone has these, tell me how they sound. I'm pretty bias towards Infinity because I feel they sound the most clear w/ out amplifiers. Thanks.

maka_RTH
09-12-2004, 02:08 PM
i love infinity kappas. that's what i have. i haven't really tried the references at all though. i'm sure they'd sound good with the references up front though, cuz you know they'll be voice-matched being the same type of speaker.

jonrichert
09-12-2004, 02:15 PM
good bass response and treble is crystal clear, i've heard them amped and run off of a deck. on a good amp they will go stupidly loud without clipping at all.

MIK3
09-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Good bass eh? Good deal then. That is the response I was looking for. I know Infinity leads the industry w/ the treble field, no doubt in my mind on that one. I'm pretty sure that the Kappas are made more for the amplifiers, and Reference series off of deck power. If it's ok, I just might hook up an amplifier in a couple months, it's be a hell of a lot cheaper than converting to Kappas. Good deal then, I think I will seal this deal in about 2 weeks.

Vanilla Sky
09-13-2004, 01:39 AM
i have a set of reference components... if they are anywhere near that kind of sound quality, then they are farking great... good thing about them is the sensitivity... i believe it's 93 or 94dB 1w/meter... loud off a deck, but even better amped

maka_RTH
09-13-2004, 10:02 AM
yah, i love infinity's sensitivity ratings. i love infinity period :rockon:

Vanilla Sky
09-13-2004, 01:39 PM
yeah, it really makes (especially) the reference line a great bargain... that coupled with the fact that the infinity reference line is already on top of most other brands' mid lines or top lines (take pioneer for instance... sony and alpine, too...)... all around a good bargain... i personally would never amplify 6x9's as they are an oval cone as opposed to a round one (round cones are more rigid), and the fact that they can sound pretty muddy when pushed because of resonance and cone flex... if you already have the 6x9 pods, then by all means use them, but if you have to get new pods, or are willing to do some minor cutting and drilling to mount them to the rear deck itself, then 6.5's are a much better option...

Raduque
09-13-2004, 07:12 PM
I've always wanted Infinity Refs, and I'm going to get them on/around my birthday for my doors, and I plan on running them off a 40w avg x2 amp, except that I've heard they have a "bright" or "harsh" high end... my ears are very sensative to treble, and something with harsh, sharp highs would kill me.

Are they really like that, or not?

MIK3
09-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Well people who say that they have harsh highs in the treble field aren't properly tuning they're deck to output the correct amount of base/treb output. A good balance is necessary to feel the true clarity of these speakers. It's all in how you configure your output of sound. But infinity speakers are more of a treble based speaker than bass. They're about clarity, and with bass, that's simply not possible. But no, when properly tuned deckwise, infinitys will never let you down or have annoying high end treble.