PDA

View Full Version : Engine Lag

RED LXI
09-13-2004, 05:39 PM
My car is acting as if I have a bad clutch, BUt the clutch isn't burning. It feels as if the cluth is not getting enough pressure. After about 3,000 rpm,s the rpm's rise but the car goes nowhere until I either ease off of the gas or shift into another gear. I though it was the cluth but after extesive highway driving, I don't think its possible, plus if the cluth was that bad the car won't be driving. Is it possible that I may have a pressure plate problem? one more thing..... behind of our intakes (on efi cars) there are two water hoses going into the a part that screws onto the intake. Mines got rotten where the two water lines attach to the module , so I just plugged the hoses. I just want to know what this part is and is having it dissconnected going to affect my car.

mag_pbg
09-13-2004, 05:43 PM
Can't help ya with the clutch ( have a auto) but it sounds like you plugged off the cold Idle vavle, it controls the idle when the motor is cold, it should do anything just make your car idle low at the start.

RED LXI
09-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Seems like noone has any idea what my cluth is doing? I'm getting tired of all these stupid little problems. Hopefully this car will be worth the trouble.

Jareds 89 LX-i
09-19-2004, 05:46 PM
Sounds to me like your clutch is just worn out. It'll still drive for awile with a worn clutch, but once it starts slipping it self destructs pretty fast. After driving on the highway it will actually feel a bit better cuz it heats up more, and as we all know when stuff heats up, it expands (think: dragging brakes), so it'll grip a little better. Either way whether it's a pressure plate or just a worn clutch, it's gotta be replaced anyways and they're all in the same spot, so it's just time for a new clutch. 99% of the time it's just the disc worn down.

As for the hoses, you will probably want to get some new hoses or whatever is rotting out and get it replaced. Those go into the EACV (electronic air control valve), which controls the idle for fast idle, as well as the a/c idle boost and p/s idle boost. You may get some strange idling characteristics without it

danronian
09-20-2004, 07:01 AM
When you replace the hoses just use universal replacement hose. I thought I wouldn't be able to b/c of all of the sharp turns but I was able to replace every coolant hose with the universal type except two that I'll have to order from Honda (the one near the oil filter and the one that goes to the firewall from the heater controll thing).

smufguy
09-20-2004, 08:16 AM
My car is acting as if I have a bad clutch, BUt the clutch isn't burning. It feels as if the cluth is not getting enough pressure. After about 3,000 rpm,s the rpm's rise but the car goes nowhere until I either ease off of the gas or shift into another gear. I though it was the cluth but after extesive highway driving, I don't think its possible, plus if the cluth was that bad the car won't be driving. Is it possible that I may have a pressure plate problem? one more thing..... behind of our intakes (on efi cars) there are two water hoses going into the a part that screws onto the intake. Mines got rotten where the two water lines attach to the module , so I just plugged the hoses. I just want to know what this part is and is having it dissconnected going to affect my car.

For the clutch, when have u adjusted it lately? U need to adjust the clutch every oil change or check for right play.

And for the blocking off the two coolant lines, That is for the fast idle valve. It needs to be there to have ur car idle right and sometimes even run right. So get a foot of that hose (not sure what the ID is ) from autozone or pep-boys or any auto parts strore (make sure its braided) and put it in.