PDA

View Full Version : My time with the 3gee comes to a close

87DXHatch
09-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Well girls and boys, fellow 3geezers and those that have moved on, I have finally come to the end of my tenure with the beloved 3rd generation accord. As of friday I will be the owner of a '92 Honda Civic (www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=167369889&dealer_id=54822733&dealer_name=AUTO+PRO+AUTO+SALES&make=HONDA&distance=50&max_price=4000&model=CIVIC&advcd_on=n&end_year=1993&min_price=3000&address=55414&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1991&color=&cardist=21) with 72k miles.

Why am I bidding farewell to my (once) beautful 89 SE-i coupe? It has reached the end of its life with me. It has been hit twice (the latest totaled it) in the last year, with enough total insurance money from the accidents that the company has PAID me $1500 to drive my car.

Last summer:
www.astoned.net/images/fazed/sideview.jpg
About two months ago:
www.astoned.net/images/fazed/wreck2.jpg

I still would have kept driving it had it not for the problem that has now developed: my engine runs extremely rough now, as if the car isn't even running on all cylinders anymore. It started off as if the car would be running, and then not get gas for a split second, and then keep running, but now it has progressed to where it runs like crap all the time. This, coupled with the solid stream of unburned gas fumes that are entering my cabin and stinging (yes, stinging) my eyes, has made me seek out a new vehicle.

What do you guys think of the choice? The dealer bought it for $2700 at an auction and put $300 in repairs into the car ($100 detail and $200 timing belt) + all the taxes, moving fees, etc. I bought it for $2999 with them fixing the spedo cable (works sporadically) and the power locks (wouldn't work). The VIN is 1HGEG8650NL034269 if anyone has free carfax reports.

So my final question, and my main purpose in creating this thread, is to ask what I should do with my SE-i now. The problem with it might be something minor that I haven't checked (I haven't done a lot of maintenance to this car... :() or it could be something major. The car runs and drives still. Should I part it out (stock alloys, arm rest/cup holder, custom speaker baskets... anything else?) or should I try to sell the whole thing for like $300 obo? Any MN 3geezers want an SE-i parts car to swap the rear brakes, leather seats, arm rest, etc, into their car? The brakes were overhauled last summer, with new discs and pads all around, and new (used) calipers in the back.

Anyway, tell me what you think I should do with my 3gee, and what you think of my new purchase... it will be sad to finally leave this family... the 3gee was such a great car... and sorry for the ridiculously long post.

88accordhb
09-13-2004, 07:32 PM
ouch i'm sorry to here that. good luck in the future.

Vanilla Sky
09-14-2004, 01:55 AM
damn man... that sucks..

and fix it or part it out... don't sell it as whole, unless you are getting like $700 from it (about that much can be made by parting it out)

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 06:50 AM
I forgot about you, Vanilla... I may have to hit you up on Yahoo later.

Vanilla Sky
09-14-2004, 07:25 AM
man, it's been so long that i took you off omy my buddy list on yahoo... i added you back, though... hell, i hadn't heard from you at all in so long, it was like you went off a cliff in the accord or whatever, lol

this time with the wreck, was it another hot chick in a parking lot? hehe

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 10:49 AM
What all can I part out of it? I know sure as shit that I won't be able to get more than $300 for the whole car, considering the trunk is still crumpled in and it runs like shit.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-14-2004, 11:02 AM
Holy s*it! I live in Mankato, MN!

Only problem is that I wouldn't be able to have a parts car. But what's wrong with it? Maybe I could get my fiance to own it if it isn't too bad. Or I could pay you some money to gut it all out and stuff and then you could sell it to the junkers.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
09-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Ahh I see why you want to sell it now. I guess I wouldn't want to buy it for my fiance, but if my dad still had his own body shop I wouldn't second think it and buy it. I can tell you right now that I would be interested in talking with you about parts though. Maybe we could work something out. Please pm me or aim me if you have it.

-Mike

Mike's89AccordLX
09-14-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm mainly interested in the brakes everything for the swap and the sei wheels. Since I would have bigger brakes I would need the bigger wheels (winter) b/c my 17's would be fine with the bigger brakes. I have a set of prelude si wheels that I bead blasted and had painted and put new tires on them but they are the stock 13" rims. So maybe we could trade and I could give you some money.

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 11:16 AM
EMAILEDowned!

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I don't know about the wheel swap, the Civic comes with 14" wheels with almost new tires... and I can't remember if the bolt patterns are the same either.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-14-2004, 11:20 AM
well how much would you want for the brakes and wheels without trading? I could probably get more selling the rims to someone.

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 11:20 AM
But I would sell the wheels, for sure. I'm thinking parting it out will be the way to go for this thing, considering it won't have a stereo or speakers or anything like that for someone buying it.

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 11:22 AM
Are there any parts anyone else would want? I think I might just eBay anything/everything I could pull out of there...

I have some custom speaker baskets with custom grills for the front, to fit 6.5" speakers.

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Also, does anyone know where the best resources are for the 92-95 gen of Honda Civics?

Mike's89AccordLX
09-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Entire Brake System front and rear and Sei wheels are mine :) :rockon:

MattsAccord
09-14-2004, 12:42 PM
What color is the interior?

87DXHatch
09-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Tan with black dash.

MattsAccord
09-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Do you happen to have a cup holder?

danronian
09-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Ashame to see you go. I hope you still stop by here and help us out with our stereo system problems once in a while. Good luck with the civic. Lets just hope no-one hits this one.

Cheeseburger
09-15-2004, 09:52 AM
that sucks ass

Vanilla Sky
09-15-2004, 09:56 AM
i do wish you'd stick around and moderate our audio forum... they really need a moderator for that... i've wanted to do it, but i don't think i know enough to do the job well...

87DXHatch
09-15-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys... maybe I shall start frequenting the audio section again... I know these damn cars top to bottom, audio-wise.

Heh, it took me 5 hours to take out most of my audio equipment yesterday... 10 PM to 3 AM... it made me remember how much time and effort I put into my accord to get the whole thing in there.

With the civic I'm starting ground up, doing everything perfect right off the bat. Taking up carpet, seats, door panels and sound deadening EVERYTHING, then going from there.