PDA

View Full Version : Distributer ?? Car not starting

SrvZro
09-13-2004, 10:24 PM
OK, first I did the search and found nothing that seemed relavant, so here goes.

The car turns over just fine but it just dosen't want to start. I've already checked the starter and that isn't the problem. I checked for fuel, and there was plenty of fuel going to the fuel rail. When I was able to get the car started, all plugs tested good for spark.

Now, here is the weird part. I thought maybe it was the igniter on the distributer. So I grab a few from the junk yard and no go. Now, I am able to get the car started if someone taps on or around the igniter on the distributer while i'm cranking and it starts. Bad pick up coil inside distributer right?

Well, I grab another distributer from the junk yard and same problem. I am like :mad: because what are the odds of grabing a distributer w/ the same problem as mine. And I stripped the darn screw trying to get the igniter off of the "new" distributer.

Basicly I want to now if I'm on the right track with thinking its the distributor. The whole tapping the distributer to get the car started just adds to the whole WTF.

Now for the good that came out of today: I found 6x9 speaker holders for the rear to replace the ones that were stolen. I also found a OEM style spoiler in clean condition for just 20 bucks. Plus some other little crap that my car was missing. :rockon:
Junk Yard Stuff (http://www.flyingtitan.com/nuke/89accord/pics/pk-prt%20run.jpg)

shepherd79
09-14-2004, 04:32 AM
i never had this problem, but check the ignitor. make sure they are working. the other thing is that ignitor is not making contact with distributor. so when you tap on it, it starts to make contacts.
other thing you can try is another distributor.

racerx
09-14-2004, 01:01 PM
did you remove and re-install in the distributor before this whole thing started?
you might have installed the distributor 180 degrees out. that would cause your car not to run.

i would also check your compression. you might have blown a head gasket. or you might have a cracked block i suppose.

shepherd79
09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
for the last time, you can't install distributor 180 deg in 3G. it goes only one way. if you somehow with a help of a hammer or force installed the distributor 180 deg your destributor is worn out to shit.

SrvZro
09-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Well, I'm gonna try to run to the junk yard after work today. Gonna grab another distributer. I'll post late tonight what the verdict is.

Other than a compression test, is there any visual checks for a busted head gasket or cracked block? I checked the oil and it dosent' have a milky appearence to suggest that coolant is mixing.

SrvZro
09-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Vrooooom :smokin:
Got a good one pulled from the junk yard this time. The pick-up coil, not the igniter chip was bad. The car I pulled the distributer from had 144k, less than half of what mine has (253k). So I figure I'll easily get another 100k from it. woot
It feels great to have a car that starts when you want it. I found a cup holder too (amazing you find these things when you're not looking for them). Gonna go E-Bay soon.

Thats my story and I'm sticking too it!

racerx
09-16-2004, 11:01 AM
i seem to remember my friend having installed his 180 degrees out when we rebuilt his engine. We took it out, spun it 180, and it started.

Maybe on the LXi's or maybe on the 86's distributor you can't, but it seriously fit just fine either way... or so it seemed... maybe it is just worn out.

oh, and congrats on your find! enjoy the cupholder, too. just think, when you're placing some beverage in it, how thousands of other 3rd gen drivers aren't enjoying that "priveledge". :D