PDA

View Full Version : I Broke It!

89dxowner
09-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Well I was turning around in my 89 DX and stomped it and I hear CRACK clank clank clank. I was like oh shit. Got out jacked it up and guess what, BROKE AXLE! Well I think thats what it is anyway. The piece in the boot with the bearing broke into about 6 pieces and was all over the road. Well I took the axle out cause It made hella noise when I pushed it. Got it towed home. I guess I need a whole new drive axle or thats what I have been told anyway.

blazin3gen
09-13-2004, 11:22 PM
holly shit bro, good thing u stoped on time thats danger waiting to happen!

89dxowner
09-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Yea tell me about it. lol.

88accordhb
09-14-2004, 01:45 AM
uhhhhh sounds like...uhhh you might uhhh...have uhh.....little....uhhh...uhhh problem...uhhh there.

Moodybluesr
09-14-2004, 02:29 AM
You got lucky... I have seen them rip the lower ball joint right out of it's socket when they get that bad; be thankful you only have to replace the axle.

Vinny
09-14-2004, 04:07 AM
Make sure you check everything over when you change the axle. I just snapped mine a few weeks ago on the inner joint. It ended up putting a hole in my oil pan. Luckily I cleaned off all the splattered grease and everything and took a good look before I installed the new axle.

Might want to check your mounts as well. A broken/bad mount will cause an axle to break like that

89dxowner
09-14-2004, 01:04 PM
You got lucky... I have seen them rip the lower ball joint right out of it's socket when they get that bad; be thankful you only have to replace the axle.

I think thats what happened. Put it this way the cup from one end is still attached to the hub and the boot came off, grease flew everywhere and pieces of bearings were all over the road. The axle was completely detached from the wheel.

I just put new mounts on it.