PDA

View Full Version : Pics of turbo setup yo :)

AccordEpicenter
09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_23_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_25_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_15_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_16_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_17_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_18_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_19_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_20_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_21_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_22_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_26_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250993_27_full.jpg

ehulst
09-14-2004, 03:08 PM
looks nice...keep the good work up bro.....how much boost u running? what u got for a turbo?

AccordEpicenter
09-14-2004, 03:09 PM
only 5lb... my clutch is sooo shot the car barely moves... so i cant do anything until i do that first, then more tuning... then more boost. Its a Garret T3 .60 .63 off of a turbo svo mustang

Elijah
09-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Looks like you got a hole for a bov.But know bov?

AccordEpicenter
09-14-2004, 03:23 PM
i have a 1g dsm bov in it now... at 5psi and an open dp it isnt loud... yet

Elijah
09-14-2004, 03:25 PM
Mad prop's.I know how much work it is.And $

chiroprakter
09-14-2004, 03:29 PM
kew....but you didn't pay alot for that welding job did you ?

keruhas184
09-14-2004, 03:49 PM
looking good.... although a drop wouldn't hurt... good luck with the clutch and tuning.

RobT5580
09-14-2004, 04:01 PM
That intercooler looks just like mine and about the same size. Im going in the morning to pick up the B20 finally from the machine shop so hopefully it will be in soon. The shitty thing is i don't have crap for time now because of school work but im excited just to get it back from the shop after 2 months. Good work hopefully you get the clutch taken care of so you can run it a little harder.

Robs89LXi
09-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Nice work, Jason :thumbup: ! Tell us about your engine management, and how the car runs so far. Any pre-detonation problems?

Accordtheory
09-14-2004, 04:15 PM
mad props from me too, yo. What is your manifold contructed of? Overall, it looks cool, but if I could offer a couple tips for next time they would be coupling the non adjacent cylinders together results in slightly better scavenging if you don't have a 4-1 collector, and also, a higher heat setting on the welder (or a lower wire speed) would have resulted in a little cleaner appearance. And I highly recommend you wrap your power steering line with that thermo tec heat reflective shit. Very cool though, it's nice to see another turbo 3g, too bad you aren't in cali though, so I could smoke yo ass! ha ha, just playin
p.s. im running 9lbs now (still with sketchy tuning though)
hey when you mash on it at night and then look at your manifold, is it glowing? I had to make a heat shield for my shit

Accordtheory
09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Nice work, Jason :thumbup: ! Tell us about your engine management, and how the car runs so far. Any pre-detonation problems?
Pre detonation? Pre detonation isn't a problem, it's actual detonation!

Robs89LXi
09-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Detonation is a good thing. It's what makes our engines run. Pre-detonation is a bad thing, and is more common with the higher heat produced in boosted engines.

shepherd79
09-14-2004, 05:33 PM
very nice setup. mad props.
i don't know why you want detonation. it is not good for engines at all.

88accordhb
09-14-2004, 05:50 PM
good job, i'm very jealous.

AccordEpicenter
09-14-2004, 06:11 PM
rob i think your spearco core might be bigger... idk. Yeah i wanna do a drop etc but soo far id rather go fast then work on suspension... suspension costs $$$$ that i dont have but it will get done sooner or later. yeah you are right accordtheory, those top welds i should have gotten hotter with... the bottom ones i did so it came out ok, no cracks etc. Yeah the mani is better than a log but not as good as say... a ramhead design, its just a 4 into 1 basically. Also the mani or anything underhood really doesnt throw as much heat as i had thought it would, esp being mild steel... The front motor mount and the front beam had to be notched a little bit to get the turbo to fit with a little bit of clearance. Soo far im using an SAFC and 450cc 1g bluetop dsm injectors with a walbro 255lph intank and the msd btm. The pics make the welds look worse than they really are (just trust me) they arent the cleanest but they are damn strong. I need to hook up the MSD BTM tho when i start running over 5 psi... I want to run about 10-11 if i can then maybe more with different managemant and built engine (i have another engine im working on) we will see. It does have a golden eagle adjustable cam gear that i have set to -3 degrees retard, im not sure if thats hurting me or helping me making power with boost, that was from my N/A days... ill tell ya for 5 psi the car has one hell of a top end... The transition from vaccuum to boost is seamless, it spools up around 4k and is a little laggy, but its a .60 .63 with a lengthened wg actuator rod... so honestly i expected it to be worse. When the wastegate rod fell off the first night i took it out it boost creeped to 3psi... with no actuator on it and the wastegate completely open. Heres what i have in the car soo far:

Garrett T3 .60 .63
sillicone couplers with T bolt clamps
Custom Coach Intercooler
owner built (thats me) custom turbo mani, flanges by BMC
2.5" Charge pipes
Apexi SAFC
450cc 1g dsm bluetop injectors
MSD BTM
Aasco aluminum flywheel (8.5lb i think)
Auto to manual conversion (used to be an auto car)
1g dsm bov
open downpipe
removed a/c and back seat as well as some supporting metal in the hood, stripped trunk.
Bypassed coolant line mods, disabled intake manifold runner switching etc...
Oh yea and Stealthmode performance stainless braided oillines....

Also some other little things like gauges etc

Justin86
09-14-2004, 06:13 PM
props for putting up another turbo 3g on the street. What did you have to mod to run the intercooler piping, I know there is no room between the bumper and frame.

AccordEpicenter
09-14-2004, 06:16 PM
i had to cut about an inch out of the bottom of the bumper steel beam to get it to fit, and also take out my windshield washer bottle etc to get the pipes to fit. Also i notched the radiator core support so the power steering cooling tube is between the radiator and the intercooler... i moved it back. All this stuff took FOREVER to get to work, lots of cutting and fitting

Robs89LXi
09-14-2004, 06:23 PM
very nice setup. mad props.
i don't know why you want detonation. it is not good for engines at all.

Detonation is what occurs in internal combustion engines when the spark ignites the air/fuel charge. This explosion is what expands the gas charge to cause increased pressure and thus force the pistons to move. Properly timed detonation is what we want.

Pre-detonation can occur when increased heat causes the air/fuel charge to self-ignite before the spark event (pre-ignition), which leads to pre-detonation of the charge. Because it is not at the proper time in the piston travel event, it can be bad for our engine, and we do not want this.

Due to the increased heat produced by turbocharging, this is a fairly common occurance in boosted engines. Intercooling is certainly one of the ways to help correct this.

od2681
09-14-2004, 07:24 PM
holy sleeping beauty batman
damn that is a sleeper right htere

Gregg86DX
09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Detonation is what occurs in internal combustion engines when the spark ignites the air/fuel charge. This explosion is what expands the gas charge to cause increased pressure and thus force the pistons to move. Properly timed detonation is what we want.

Pre-detonation can occur when increased heat causes the air/fuel charge to self-ignite before the spark event (pre-ignition), which leads to pre-detonation of the charge. Because it is not at the proper time in the piston travel event, it can be bad for our engine, and we do not want this.

Due to the increased heat produced by turbocharging, this is a fairly common occurance in boosted engines. Intercooling is certainly one of the ways to help correct this.

Actually, detonation is always a bad thing because it describes uncontrolled, explosive combustion that creates violent shock waves in the combustion chamber and leads to piston damage and blown head gaskets. Proper combustion is a smooth burn of the mixture across the chamber and is different from detonation. Pre-ignition is essentialy what you described above and I have never heard the term pre-detonation used before. For a good description of these processes, check this web site: http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service%20Tips/detonation_and_preignition.htm

Gregg

A20A1
09-14-2004, 08:43 PM
I like it, What gauge was the mild steel?

od2681... it's not really a sleeper if you can see the IC.

Robs89LXi
09-14-2004, 10:11 PM
Actually, detonation is always a bad thing because it describes uncontrolled, explosive combustion that creates violent shock waves in the combustion chamber and leads to piston damage and blown head gaskets. Proper combustion is a smooth burn of the mixture across the chamber and is different from detonation. Pre-ignition is essentialy what you described above and I have never heard the term pre-detonation used before. For a good description of these processes, check this web site: http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service%20Tips/detonation_and_preignition.htm

Gregg

LOL. Okay, I stand corrected. I was using the word detonation to describe what I had in mind, which is combustion. Tomatoes, tomatoes.

smufguy
09-21-2004, 05:31 PM
:comes back with his right hand hurting after jackin off: umm...... i was not doing anything......... oh nice pics dude. Mean ass front mount. :) :bow:

Civvy
09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Smooth man! (not the welds) can we not put a carb vac diaphram on the dizzy mounts and sum how have it pull the dizzy into retard position under boost?

A20A1
09-22-2004, 03:37 PM
there is a ( HITATCHI DISTRIBUTORS ) metal vacuum advance diaphragm on some 86-87 models that can be cut open, crimped back together and then you can reference it to boost. actually not welding it would allow you to change the spring rates inside... you need to swap over the spring anyways. There are other diaphargms on the stock carb but I'm weary on the amount of travel they have, some too much some too little. The secondary diaphragm and Vacuum idle diaphragm are the best bet. I believe only one is actually able to be unscrewed... the rest are crimped and sealed.

NXRacer
09-22-2004, 03:38 PM
dude you RAWK. :bow: One more turbo 3g on the streets. I gotta say a drunk monkey could make better looking welds but if it holds and there are no holes, then the rest is aesthetics which dont matter really. hope you get a new clutch in soon so you can really feel the power of that beast.

can we not put a carb vac diaphram on the dizzy mounts and sum how have it pull the dizzy into retard position under boost?
that pain wont be necessary when this uberdata solution gets worked out.

AccordEpicenter
09-23-2004, 05:22 PM
you need an electrical means of controlling the timing retard under boost... mechanical stuff i plain wouldnt rely on and also getting it to work the way you want it to just isnt worth it. Yeah i know my manifold welds look like ass but they dont leak and are hella strong... plus they look decent from the inside too. As for the clutch i got my double diaphram pressure plate and 6 puck sprung copper ceramic clutchnet clutch today... hopefully ill install it tomarrow :)

Accordtheory
09-23-2004, 05:50 PM
dude you RAWK. :bow: One more turbo 3g on the streets. I gotta say a drunk monkey could make better looking welds but if it holds and there are no holes, then the rest is aesthetics which dont matter really. hope you get a new clutch in soon so you can really feel the power of that beast.

A drunk monkey?? damn, dude you had me laughing for like mins, but I am crunk tho

TheSummoner101
10-08-2004, 11:11 AM
nice :D and i like the silver on black on the eye lids!

mykwikcoupe
10-08-2004, 05:24 PM
so if your produceing boost at 4k them youve got like a 3k powerband. Seems kinda high dont you think? Is it drivable or is it the type of thing that kicks in too late. Although with it spooling up so late you wont have to worry about a stronger clutch for takoff.

bobafett
10-09-2004, 08:55 AM
if you shift at 6500 you end up around 4000 so it works if your racing!! lol

accordlxi2.0
10-09-2004, 09:19 AM
DAMN that's a big intercool, it make's it look's like your car is smiling.

Oyvind Ryeng
10-09-2004, 09:58 AM
About the late spoolup, is it possible that the wastegate is not held completely shut until desired boost has been reached? In other words, the pressure inside the exhaust manifold is leaking past the turbo into the wastegate and just out the tailpipe?

Justin86
10-09-2004, 11:14 AM

Yea damn I need to finish this OBD-1 swap. :uh:

You need to paint the IC black for more of a sleeper image ;)
First off I'm trying to figure out how to mount a big FMIC with out pulling the hood latch. I might get one custom made. I see you went in front of the latch. What are the dimensions of your IC?

AccordEpicenter
10-09-2004, 05:43 PM
About the late spoolup, is it possible that the wastegate is not held completely shut until desired boost has been reached? In other words, the pressure inside the exhaust manifold is leaking past the turbo into the wastegate and just out the tailpipe?

Yeah... im thinking because the wastegate actuator rod is loose its making my spoolup times nasty and slow... Im gonna try and work on it.

You need to paint the IC black for more of a sleeper image
First off I'm trying to figure out how to mount a big FMIC with out pulling the hood latch. I might get one custom made. I see you went in front of the latch. What are the dimensions of your IC?
Custom Coach FMIC: Aluminum Front Mount Intercooler - 31x6.5x2.75
2 1/2" inlet/outlet. Internally finned, handmade and works excellent. I had to notch the bumper beam on the bottom about an inch or so to get the fmic to fit, i also had to move the power steering cooling lines back behind the hood latch before the radiator, which i had to notch the core support so the lines would fit with the fmic in.

PortugalFocus
10-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Man that FMIC looks nasty. Great job I know that musta taken a ton of work. Great job with it.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Damn guys I guess when I do the efi swap I will need to start a turbo project. Seems like I will be left out if I don't :)

blazin3gen
10-13-2004, 05:04 PM
how in the hell did i miss this? bro that right there is damn awesome!! i wanna drive that thing :D

truetune
10-14-2004, 12:13 PM
yay another turbo and the numbers are going up yay. oneday I shall join the trubo beast.

Headnoise
10-14-2004, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't drive that P.O.S... Oh... wait... I should smack myself now...
You gotta tell us what your speeds are after you get your new clutch... I think my stock will blow you... ;)