PDA

View Full Version : DIS from the dist....

maka_RTH
09-15-2004, 11:49 AM
ok.., i'd still like to have a DIS setup, as i'm sure several people would like to have one. i've been thinking recently, and i have a couple ideas..., i just don't know how well they'd work cuz i don't know exactly how a DIS setup get's the signal to send the spark and whatnot... so anyways, yah. i was thinking of using the stock distrubutor, and using the signal that the ignitor sends out to let the ignition know when to send the spark. i believe the distributor also has a tdc sensor? which would work for the unit so it knows which cyl is #1. anyways, like i said..., i haven't really looked at things(like, for example, a msd dis ignition). also, if the vacuum advance uses the ignitor to advance/retard the timing.., we could possibly use a 4g dist and do the same thing. if anybody has any ideas or know how this stuff works a little better than me, lets hear it.

*edit: to clarify i'm basically thinking of using the dist as the crank trigger

NXRacer
09-15-2004, 12:28 PM
that seems like an aweful lot of work for what you get.

I think sean was using a crank trigger sensor for the timing. Sean didnt provide a lot of information as to how he rigged his up. You'll probably have to read up on how it works and what you need to do to make your own.

maka_RTH
09-15-2004, 12:32 PM
yah, i think they normall go off of crank triggers..., but i don't know that the a20 has one. correct me if i'm wrong. what i was thinking you'd mostly be splicing into wires to/from the coil or something.

NXRacer
09-15-2004, 12:36 PM
from what i remember reading through seans threads, you have to rig up your own crank trigger.

it would be infinately easier and less expensive to run OBD-1 and uberdata. the ONLY reason why sean didnt go with that kind of ECM is because he's an engineer and wanted it to be PERFECT. The amount of time, energy, money and brainpower he put into that setup would kill a normal human being. :D

maka_RTH
09-15-2004, 12:41 PM
yah, that's kinda why i was also possibly thinking the 4g distributor... i just don't know how easy it'd be to had a crank trigger..., and i was thinking the dist might send out a signal that could be used like a crank trigger

NXRacer
09-15-2004, 01:04 PM
doesnt DIS stand for distributorless ignition system???

maka_RTH
09-15-2004, 01:14 PM
yah, basically i was thinking have making the distributor the crank sensor. it wouldn't use the cap and rotor anymore, which is where "distributor" gets it's name, it "distributes" the spark to the cylinders.

A20A1
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
HUH?

We don't have a CRANK TRIGGER

The distributor runs off the cam so it can't be a crank trigger.
When you switch to the crank triggers electronic pickup you don't need the distributor, what you do need is the firing gizmo that sends the signals to the individual coils. And some way to connect the crank trigger to the crank.

maka_RTH
09-15-2004, 02:28 PM
basically, i was thinking instead of rigging someway to hook up a crank trigger to the crank, just use the distributor instead. true, it's not right off the crank, and if you have an adj. cam gear, then it would be off some with that too.., but basically use the signal that the ignitor sends to the coil as a signal from a crank trigger. i don't know if this makes sense.., or if it would work or not.., that's why i posted to see if it could work.

MoonScryer
09-15-2004, 03:47 PM
Sean was running his off a crank trigger to a set of Dodge Neon coilpacks, if I remember right. The magnets were directly mounted on the crank timing belt, not on the pulley. The problem with the cost was the fabrication - he had to have the crank wheel made from scratch.

Most crank triggered ignition use a Hall effect to produce their reading for the ECM. Check out SDS EFI's site for one such setup, and some pictures on how it is done.

maka_RTH
09-15-2004, 04:07 PM
thanks for the link.

PhydeauX
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=

andy

Slavic
09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I just found this hall sensor trigger setup (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Hall+effect+injection&btnG=Search) page. There's also these kits I mentioned: in Universal Programmable High Energy Ignition Kit + other neat stuff (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=36552&highlight=Hall+effect) thread that I'm trying to evaluate.