PDA

View Full Version : Panel vs Pod

CALM01
09-15-2004, 04:08 PM
hey there, i have an 89 Accord Si and want to know (yes i have searched this site) what people think of K&N panel filters as opposed to a pod...the pod will be connected to stock piping (the cops here in Aus are defect lovers and chrome gets them off)

Also was wondering if the panel filter will give me that sweet sweet snarl that pods give.

Appreciate any feedback.

PS i'll post pics of my baby as soon as i figure out how :rice:

shepherd79
09-15-2004, 06:17 PM
what is POD? do you mean cone filter?

smufguy
09-15-2004, 06:22 PM
unless he means the pod as in the cylinderical filter. Well the snarl or growl that u get is because the aftermarket/home made intakes dont have resonators like the stock ones and thus there is no sound dampening and its the suction that makes that noice along with resonance. U have a SI huh? got pics of it? Love to see some australian 3gs buddy.

NOTE: Check the FAQ to see how to make a home made CAI.

CALM01
09-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Are we call em pod filers over here....they are shaped like a cone so i'm guessing thats what you mean. In response to Smufguy: my mate has a 4th gen which he just put a cone/pod into using purely the stock piping...he pulled out the air box and connected the pod straight on to the pipe...he gets the snarl. However with mine the box is one the back of the efi/engine (whatever..lol) so this is not an option for me...i have checked the CAI home made instructions for that civic...however i was wondering if anyone knew of performance gains from a panel filter (not talking dyno or anything)

So i guess your saying that with 3G's the stock piping dampens any noise...sniff..sniff..such a shame.

PS i'll post pics of my baby ASAP...hopefully this time in a week they'll be up!

smufguy
09-16-2004, 05:12 PM
well, i have a 4th gen with the same set up as your buddy. Its on my sister's car and since the resonators are gone, we dont have sound deadening anymore and hence the snarl.

For you, Dont worry about power gains on number, and intake alone would not give u numerical power gains on a dynochart esp on a car with a stock exhaust. If u wanna utelize better breathing, get better exhaust. Also, you are not gonna gain anything by replacing the stock filter with a good one (with stock pipings) cause its mad restrictive already.

Do what Fubari (dude with that username from UK), he just stuck a pod filter directly onto his Throttle body. Do that in the meantime while u scavange ur intake setup ;)