PDA

View Full Version : Alternator and ECU code 12

NeubJ
09-15-2004, 08:13 PM
My car was running fine beforehand then I went out to start it and it made a weird sound. Then I noticed my rmp needle was moving up and down pretty fast. I drove it around and it was fine above 2000rpms but below that the needle was up/down. Then bam- battery light comes on. I go to my local parts store and they run a diagnostic test and say its the alternator.
So back home I go and notice my interior lights are dimming pretty quick then bam-the check engine light comes on. I made it home and check the ecu and it blinks 12 times. Im assuming I had two problems that just decided to go at the same time. Or does the alternator have anything to do with the code I got?

Any tips on removing alternator would help me out. (looks like it is gonna be a pain to take out)

night
09-15-2004, 08:18 PM
alt comes easy out the bottom. fix that first. then see about code

88Accord-DX
09-15-2004, 10:34 PM
alt comes easy out the bottom. fix that first. then see about code
I don't know on different model Accords, but I had to pull my alternator out through the firewall. Re-built alternator isn't cheap. Sometimes they're on ebay.
I wouldn't re-commend this on cars with an ECU, (like yours) but you can test the alternator by taking off your negative battery cable while it is running. If it stays running, your alternator is good. Do another diagnostic test after you re-place the alternator.

maka_RTH
09-15-2004, 10:54 PM
alt comes out easiest out the top. take off the stock air intake off the back of the pgmfi, then it will fit out there. test it with a volt meter though. it the alt works you should be getting about 14 volts when you're running.

maka_RTH
09-16-2004, 12:04 AM
code 12 from the FAQ:
12 85-98 Accord
EGR Lift Sensor (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)
defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor

shepherd79
09-16-2004, 03:29 AM
since you have EFI, you should be able to slide the alternator between firewall and intake manifold. it is very easy to do.

accordlxi2.0
09-16-2004, 09:13 AM
yea remove the air box, and you have more space, and more better than removing the axle . . . .
and sometime's when the battery get's so low the ecu start's acting loopy.