PDA

View Full Version : absolute barometric pressure

racerx
09-16-2004, 11:06 AM
so i went to the track last night (in the prelude), and on the time slip, it gives all the standard race data plus the time, temp, humidity, and "Absolute Bar".

I'm guessing that stands for Absolute Barometric Pressure. It was 23.90.
From what I remember from chemistry class, this means that the atmospheric pressure was 9.2psi!!! (Abs Bar = 14.7 + current pressure)
Oh, and the track is at about 7500ft above sea level.

Is this correct? How do I figure what my 1/4mile time would be at sea level, judging by these numbers?

shepherd79
09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
easy, go to a track that is at see level.

AZmike
09-16-2004, 11:38 AM
so i went to the track last night (in the prelude), and on the time slip, it gives all the standard race data plus the time, temp, humidity, and "Absolute Bar".

I'm guessing that stands for Absolute Barometric Pressure. It was 23.90.
From what I remember from chemistry class, this means that the atmospheric pressure was 9.2psi!!! (Abs Bar = 14.7 + current pressure)
Oh, and the track is at about 7500ft above sea level.

Is this correct? How do I figure what my 1/4mile time would be at sea level, judging by these numbers?

I'll convert 23.90 in Hg to psi for you. 23.90/29.92*14.696=11.74 psi

Neglecting a lot of other factors, you could expect 15-20% more power (air being about 20% denser at sea level). I'm sure there's a rule-of-thumb calculation for quarter mile times and power somewhere online if you want to estimate a run in different conditions. Your time would NOT be 20% less.

racerx
09-16-2004, 12:11 PM
easy, go to a track that is at see level.

http://www.coprelude.com/forums/html/emoticons/hahano.gif

anyway, yeah, i figured out that i'd have a 15-20% power increase, but i've never found a decent 1/4 mile time calculator so i'm still kind of in the dark.

i'm going to be heading down to houston over thanksgiving, so maybe there'll be a track there that i can run on... hopefully it'll be open.