PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Prob

dub88acc
09-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Alright, I know I wasn't supposed to do it but I did it. I accidentally forgot to put the honda power steering on my 3gee and now its all messed up :mad: :mad:

When I turn the wheel it locks and then pulls itself to that direction. Now today it really got locked and I had to jerk real hard, and now my steering wheel is not centered. How can I recenter my Steering wheel and how can I fix the jerking motion? :help:

When it was really becoming a problem I kind of sucked all the old power steering fluid out and put the honda. It still hasn't made a difference. I need Help. I almost got in an accident because of this. :help: :dunno:

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Check your tie rod ends to see if they are binding up. That can cause the wheel to lock in a certain position. Other than that, try flushing the system with clean fluid. Basically remove old fluid by removing the return hose from the fluid reservoir. Then reconnect the hose and add new fluid. Cycle the wheels back and forth for a while and add fluid as needed. Then repeat the procedure. My $.02

dub88acc
09-16-2004, 06:05 PM
I'll try flushing it this weekend, since I got school tomorrow. Yet how can center the steering wheel. The "H" is leaning towards the right. Do i just force back into place??

Neuspeed87lx
09-16-2004, 06:22 PM
did u just flush the fluid or did u take any of the power steering lines off ? ... an alignment would take care of the wheel being off centered

NXRacer
09-16-2004, 06:59 PM
i dont know if an alignment will help. it almost sounds like he tweaked his steering wheel a little bit by jerking on it so hard.

smufguy
09-16-2004, 08:52 PM
I'll try flushing it this weekend, since I got school tomorrow. Yet how can center the steering wheel. The "H" is leaning towards the right. Do i just force back into place??

okay here is the way i centered my steering wheel. Loosen the nut on ur steering wheel and remove it. hold it just by the splines. go on a long stretch road or a long parking lot where u can do about 30mph straight with no traffic. while going straight pull the wheel off the colum and reinsert it in the center position. Sounds dumb, but thats how i do mine (i fuck around too much). then come to a stop and put the nut back on and ur set.

if u still got the sticking problem, swap out ur power steering pump for a used one (junk or rebuilt) and see if it works. If it works, then ur good, if it does not then its prolly ur rack got busted. if u want one, i got one but its gonna be all the way from NJ to FL.

AZmike
09-16-2004, 09:04 PM
I would never remove my steering wheel while driving, but I guess that's just me. When mine is off center I stick a piece of tape at the top so I know how much to turn it once the car is stopped.

dub88acc
09-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Can't I just get to people to hold the tires in place, and jerk the steering wheel back in its place, or will that damage it even further.

88Accord-DX
09-17-2004, 09:26 AM
I don't know about pulling the steering wheel off while your rolling, but the steering wheel comes off easy, loosen the nut. It slides off splines. I would drive the car untill your going straight, then pull the steering wheel off, and line up the ' H ', and put the steering wheel back on the splines.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-17-2004, 05:58 PM
I think the safest method by far would be to drive straight and simply stop while holding the wheel in the same position. Then just pull it off and reinstall. Much safer than pulling it off while driving and achieves the same goal.