PDA

View Full Version : Carb question

andresinibus
09-16-2004, 06:48 PM
I have an Accord 87 2.0 carb auto tranny my question is what can make my car miss idle when in gear at a stop sign? what i mean is everything is fine when i step on the gas but as soon as i get to a stop sign it starts like to miss the rpms are like at 1000 then sudenly they drop to 750 then they go back up what can it be help

DanG86LX
09-16-2004, 08:05 PM
..major vacuum leak, like bad PCV or EGR or brake booster or some other broken or dangling vac. line.
.. clogged/blocked carb idle passages, some ppl turned up idle screw and the car idles through main venturi which is kind of rough..
.. bad dizzy cap/rotor so the spark jumps to the wrong cylinder..

SteveDX89
09-17-2004, 03:07 AM
Replace the PCV valve first. If that doesn't help, we'll try to find out what else it could be.

njpeter
09-17-2004, 04:22 PM
you will have to learn the intricate balance of the accord idle control system, which defines conventional thinking at every turn. Silver manual is suggested I believe you can find vital parts of it described elsewhere.

Best to hope it's an obvious air leak, get a good light and start looking around first, you need a reasonably good ear to catch a small leak, but it can be done.

Of course check the basics, but I suspect you'll find a hose leaking, perhaps on the alternator side of the engine where a whole bunch connect to tubes on the fender, they often get stressed during belt changes. Careful around there too. the big plastic bits are quite expensive, and not easy to find at a junkyard.

A20A1
09-17-2004, 06:58 PM
use carb cleaner to find the leaks... direct small spurts at the vacuum lines, carb base, and intake manifold gasket... but spray it away from the inlet to the carb so you don't mess up your test and get a false result... what will happen is if there is a leak the vacuum will suck up the carb cleaner and the idle should go up... if it does you know where the leak is.

andresinibus
09-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Ill try the carb cleaner and look for results i put a new PCV valve like two months ago so i dont think thats the problem also why do you think the my ideling is so high i have it at 1000 rpms because if i go below that it starts to shake rally bad and the book says it has to be like 750 rpms for the normal idle is it beause of the air leak

A20A1
09-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Normal Automatic idle is about 1000 - 1200 in neutral... in gear the idle should be about 800 - 900.

I could be off though.