PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed Swap

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-17-2004, 11:30 PM
I said i would not do this but i Blow my auto out for the 2th time now and at $1500 to fix it each time TO HELL with that :rocket: .So it tme to do the 5 speed swap i got a A2QA5 out of a 88 Hatch and i am putting tomorrow / saturday.I like to get some feed back from who ever has the same 5 speed that i am putting in my Accord. :rice:

shepherd79
09-18-2004, 03:59 AM
1st, i don't know how you manage to blow up auto trannies so much. do you put oil in there?
2nd. what do you need help with?

sporkHSP
09-18-2004, 12:33 PM
Pm me with questions if you have any specific ones, i did it this summer (instead of fixing the auto that i killed), the only thing i havent done is the reverse lights, but beyond that, i can share everything i know. the tip that i will give you, that i didnt know, is that you should take the torque converter off of the flex plate after you unbolt the tranny( there are bolts on the back side of the flexplate), taking the tranny off with the TC attached is a huge bitch and cost me/us about a days worth of work.

oh, BTW, the manuals are a lot more fun, and alot more torque.

SteveDX89
09-19-2004, 07:31 AM
oh, BTW, the manuals are a lot more fun, and alot more torque.

The transmission has nothing to do with the amount of torque your engine produces. It just has better gear ratios for putting the torque you have down. :)

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-19-2004, 09:38 AM
I got it all in yesterday NICE and SWEET Power the only problem that i have is take off NO Traction i leave nice daul tire mark's for day's so 1st and 2nd is good but 3rd is a little high need to change it .But over all it all good :rockon: it all :rice: Baby.

sporkHSP
09-19-2004, 03:49 PM
i know you dont get more torque from the transmission. i was refering to the improved ability to put it to the wheels. my first full day with the manual i laid down the loudest high pitched queal in first and second, i could never do that with the auto, and i tried. alot.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-19-2004, 07:29 PM
i know you dont get more torque from the transmission..
If you think about it you do get torque by going to a 5speed over the auto. You have more control over the 5speed on where you release the clutch unlike the auto that lock up at 2700 rpm's.Higher RPM's is more Hp and more Torque to the wheels .So i did get more torque by changing to a 5 speed if you look at it that way. :rice: Baby

sporkHSP
09-19-2004, 07:54 PM
...thats kinda what i was saying when i was "corrected" the first time.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-19-2004, 08:03 PM
...thats kinda what i was saying when i was "corrected" the first time.
We all look and listen and say thing's in different way's but we understand each other in the end. :rice: Baby :lock:

1987HondaAccord
09-28-2004, 12:00 AM
i think i'm gonna have to do the swap some time in october... how long did it take you and were there any tools that made the job easy?

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-28-2004, 07:22 AM
i think i'm gonna have to do the swap some time in october... how long did it take you and were there any tools that made the job easy?
It just over 6 Hours to do the swap that the peddle to. My only pain was the shifter you can't take the heat shield out to put it in so you half to work around it.

sporkHSP
09-28-2004, 07:41 AM
it took me 2weeks from start to finish, but i didnt work that much, maybe like 3 solid days.
tools:
Air tools would be a godsend
transmission jack or any jack that can hold and balence it

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-30-2004, 10:18 PM
it took me 2weeks from start to finish, but i didnt work that much, maybe like 3 solid days.
tools:
Air tools would be a godsend
transmission jack or any jack that can hold and balence it
You are my Hero I wish i could Milk something like that .But i can't when i start something i wont stop untel im done i will work non stop . Guess im a Nut :nuts:

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-30-2004, 10:23 PM
By the way i did my peddle's took out my auto and put in my 5speed and did all the wireing in 6 hours with out air tool's did it all by hand.

sporkHSP
10-01-2004, 06:42 AM
well, you're a haus. We had the hardest time with the transmission bolts, we couldnt get the leverage to turn em that much, but after that it was cake.