PDA

View Full Version : MSD coil & 8mm wires

HondaBoy
09-19-2004, 09:46 AM
i had suspected that my old original 1986 coil could be gettin to the point that it needed to be replaced. well i ordered an MSD blaster 2 coil, the cylindrical one not the smaller one that looks like a box kinda like a GM one. anyway, i got it yesterday and put it on. it started up really nice and smooth i noticed. although the old one wasnt too incredibly bad, there's definately a difference in idle, its smoother. it doesnt bog much now either. i should probley get something better than Autolite standard copper plugs eh? there's no funky sounds from the radio either, like a winding sound some people have. so thats good. i'll have to keep an eye on my gas mileage too, thats really what i had wanted to get better since gas is gettin up there in price. there's not like a shit load of power increase like some people will think that an MSD coil will do. duh. but its noticeable when i dont have to rev it up as much in traffic to keep up. well all's good with the new MSD coil.

HondaBoy
09-20-2004, 08:17 PM
i decided to replace those Autolite's with some good old NGK's. gotta say i should have done that a long time ago. NGK's usually last a bit longer than Autolite's from my experience. i'll stick with them from now on unless i can get something better, ah probley not. with all the new items in place, theres a bit more power and definate increase in gas mileage! the gas mileage is what i was aiming for, so there ya go. maybe a new cap and rotor could help, although i replaced it a bit over a year ago. i like the smoother idle and not haveing to rev the engine as high through traffic. anyway, i'm not tossing my old coil or 7mm wires because they may be useful if anything ever goes wrong, hope not.

Magny
09-21-2004, 01:49 PM
hey, when you put the coil on did you have to get the 0.8 ohm ballast resistor as it requires if our car doesn't support it, or did you use it without the resistor. if you didnt, I'm slamin mine in and putting my taylor wires in today. but gotta get another battery first cause the one I got now, doesn't hold a charge. alternator is fairly new considering its only about 9 months old.

HondaBoy
09-26-2004, 11:26 AM
i didnt use the ballast. i think that was for electronic ignitions, not for use with fully manual ones like ours. nah, and i dont recall anyone else using one on our cars. but from what i read in the instructions, we wont need the ballast connected. i really have noticed more pick up since having my car loaded down with a few friends in it, mind you they werent any of my light weight friends, lol. maybe thats mean. anyway, there's a bit more gas mileage there too. hopefully it'll start saving me some money! well all in all, its runnin better.

keruhas184
09-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I think everyone should get a new coil as a part of a tune-up. For $30-$50 you really can't go wrong.

A20A1
09-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah I never used a ballast resistor... but some people say that their ignitor, or some other distrubutor part burns out. I'm running the accel super coil (not super stock coil)

Check out the Ignition FAQ for ignition parts if you'r planning on buying something.
Ignition FAQ (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37102)

:D

sbHatch86
09-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Hey Hondaboy, how much do the MSD blaster 2 coils cost ?

Mike's89AccordLX
09-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Yeah you won't notice a ton of difference unless you get an actual ignition system and not just a coil. You will probably get some whining noise with an ignition system. I'm putting one in my car in a day or so. Crane Hi-6S

sbHatch86
10-02-2004, 08:19 PM
hey Mike, how much is a Crane Hi-6S?

Mike's89AccordLX
10-02-2004, 08:23 PM
It's about $130 but I paid $90 for mine. It works so nice. Even with my street/strip cam grind my idle is smooth which it didn't used to be like b/c I had that camshaft.

I suggest anyone that has a pretty well modified car to get an ignition system. I haven't driven it far enough to check if I get better gas mileage but I'm sure I am.

You can get them at www.summitracing.com and many other places.

86hondadx
10-08-2006, 11:22 PM
do you think anything would burn out with a blaster ss coil from msd? i bought one and just wanted to know what you think about it. i also have an msd digital 6 plus on the way for the rev limmitor and 2 step.

HondaBoy
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
it should be fine. my wires are still great and the plugs seem to last quite a long time compared to how they used to. like i havent had to change them in almost a year. seriously, this coil has made a difference since i got it a few years ago.