PDA

View Full Version : Plans for Senior Project

mag_pbg
09-20-2004, 03:34 PM
For my Senior Project my topic is A20A3 Perfomormance so heres the list of the stuff I plan on putting on. Delta 262 cam, Pacesetter headers, cat-back with Dynomax muffler, MSD 6 ignition, port match intake manifold, MSD Heli-core wire set, and port my head. Hopefully all of that will put in some good times at the track. So far I have put on a ram air intake, bored out throttle body, msd blaster coil, removed ac and ps, and removed most of the emmisions crap. So what do you guys think¿

howndamane
09-20-2004, 04:00 PM
sounds pretty good. are you in highschool or some kind of tech school? i think all that should score you some points though, good luck bro.

mag_pbg
09-20-2004, 04:06 PM
Im still in high school. I plan on putting all of this on a bottom end from the junkyard that I plan on rebuiling with a rebuild kit from rpm machines. Im hoping for around 150hp but keeping it N/A.

HondaBoy
09-20-2004, 08:07 PM
i'd say you'd score about 135-145 real engine HP. thats respectable, and especially with the new cam and head work, its noticeable unless something wasnt done right. even with the header alone you should notice a good bit of new power, more torque which is what you need the most.

mag_pbg
09-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Someone suggested shaving the head, but exactly will that do for my car¿

1987HondaAccord
09-21-2004, 10:08 AM
it would increase compression because the combustion chamber is smaller

smufguy
09-21-2004, 05:10 PM
well, your project actually consists of just bolt on kits with some work on ur own. So i guess u will be good to go. Why dont you do something like tubular front end or tubular suspension parts (control arms and sway bars) and stuff like that. Now thats a real project. u can also do a prototype variable runner lenght manifold (we did it for our SAE car in 2001) or even run ITBs.

ps: since ur looking for 150 hp, look into high compression pistons and stronger valve springs, retainers and a new oil pump.

mag_pbg
09-22-2004, 09:15 AM
I got my head yesterday, but the stupid bolts for the intake manifold wonm't come off, well all but one, the one by the egr valve on the top. I stripped it completly off. Ater I get that off Im going to port it my self, and have a cam made for it.

Justin86
09-22-2004, 11:07 AM
well, your project actually consists of just bolt on kits with some work on ur own. So i guess u will be good to go. Why dont you do something like tubular front end or tubular suspension parts (control arms and sway bars) and stuff like that. Now thats a real project. u can also do a prototype variable runner lenght manifold (we did it for our SAE car in 2001) or even run ITBs.

ps: since ur looking for 150 hp, look into high compression pistons and stronger valve springs, retainers and a new oil pump.
Yea now thats what I'm talking about. you want higher compresion for sure, and also an OBD-1 swap will help you fine tune it even more.

mag_pbg
09-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanx for the suggestions, it will all depend on how much $$$ I can get. Which bring me to my next question. Im getting the head dipped, shaved and a 3 angle valve job done, how do you think a good price for all of this would be, I plan on port matching it at home so I won't have to pay for that. Also does anyone make performance vavle springs.

smufguy
09-22-2004, 08:00 PM
we might share the same type of valve springs with other motors, despite the change in part numbers (atleast from honda) so check the companies by sending in ur old ones so they can match up.

A good head job would cost you an upward of 300 bux minimum.

Justin86
09-23-2004, 08:37 AM
getting it diped and shaved is not much, about $60. The valve job will be spendy and a port & polish. For springs retainers, not sure about which could work, but I know people have gotten the parts.
I guess you plan on swaping a B16 intake to require the port match, other wise it is not required.

mag_pbg
09-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Sorry this thread keeps on going and going, but will they know how much to shave off and how much that would raise compresion¿ It doesn't look like there is much to shave off.

smufguy
09-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Sorry this thread keeps on going and going, but will they know how much to shave off and how much that would raise compresion¿ It doesn't look like there is much to shave off.

if you look at the shop manual, it says clearly what is the tolerance or to say the service limit. the warpage is 0.05mm and the head height service limit is 89.8mm. so check those and he will be fine.

check this page for more info >>> http://89accord.netfirms.com/cylinderhead.htm

mag_pbg
09-24-2004, 08:19 PM
hey whats up, well I went to my local performance shop, and got a quote for my head. For a 3 angle valve job they are going to charge me $125 and to clean it and shave it, it will be $25. Everybody that has had work done from them say they are really good and the price doesn't seem half bad.

Strugglebucket
09-24-2004, 08:45 PM
I would suggest a clutch upgrade to go with all this engine work. And since you'll have I/H/E with a cam, a lightweight flywheel would be good too.

mag_pbg
09-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Clutch won't be a option sadley, I have a auto:( but I will be putting on new axles, will prob. have a upgrade the igntion.

mag_pbg
09-24-2004, 09:21 PM
ok one more quick question, should I get I stronger head gasket then what they sell at autzone, I don't plan on putting in high compression pistons yet, but I don't think anyone makes a good steel gasket for our cars, I did find a place that sold them for the b16 b18 and b20, just wondering if any of those would work, couldn't remember if they shared the same head, well othe than the b20 (dohc)

Justin86
09-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Don't worry about the gasket, just get the one they have at autozone, shucks. With head you really can't shave off a lot to raise compression, without having an adjustable cam gear to make up for the difference, as I have been told. You will be better off getting higher comp pistons.
With the auto you can get a higher stall converter, or just do a manual swap.

1987HondaAccord
09-27-2004, 12:54 AM
do a manual swap. if you're changing the axles anyway, it wouldn't be that much more work. and it would be a lot more fun!