PDA

View Full Version : cheap but good turbo setup

Ludi Mali
09-20-2004, 09:04 PM
I was lookin for some turbo info and came across this article.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/0309pon_turbo/

The guy put together an entire turbo system for under $800, and its solid. I think a major part was he used the stock cast iron intake manifold, granted its very restrictive, but it should be strong enough to handle the boost. Do you guys think this is a possibility on our cars? other than that, its a pretty interesting article.

night
09-20-2004, 10:46 PM
you get what you pay for. but that doesnt count if you have to pay for the same thing 2 or 3 times....

A20A1
09-20-2004, 11:29 PM
If you want to use the stock carb manifold you should at least cut it back some to have a larger opening then weld on a new flange. Then drill and weld a flange for the wastegate... if you're going external.

Justin86
09-21-2004, 09:17 AM
it is possible, esp if you can do everything your self to save money.

NXRacer
09-21-2004, 09:56 AM
there are a few guys running boosted d15/d16's that utilize the stock exhaust manifold for the turbo manifold. Its a cheap DIY project that works. How well it works is another story. . . . . . . .

Ludi Mali
09-21-2004, 01:02 PM
yeah, but paying upwords of 500 for a custom manifold is rather cost prohibitive at this juncture. I was planning on opening up the ports on the manifold more. And yes it wouldn't be as efficient as a custom manifold, but i think you'd still notice a big improvement over stock un-turbo'd.

4sillypwr
09-21-2004, 08:03 PM
in fact there are a LOT of people running stock manifolds on boosted d15/16s. they just use the one from the hf crx or std civic. it's a little shorty mani cuz they got the close coupled cat. if you can weld the flange onto the cast mani you should have the skills needed to make a homestyle log manifold.

-david