PDA

View Full Version : Modding ECU clock?

Shakedown
09-21-2004, 08:26 AM
I've heard about being able to change the RPM's which the car shifts at (on an automatic of course). I heard you take out the ECU clock chip for a couple of minutes, then put it back in and start up the car and floor it and get it up to however many RPM's you want it to shift at, then release the gas and it sets it at that RPM. But wouldn't you need to do it for each gear since it shifts at different RPM's? Could somebody please tell me how this works if I don't have it down quite right, and perhaps if its worth it. :dunno:

SteveDX89
09-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong, for these cars at least. The ECU has nothing to do with the transmission.

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2004, 08:49 AM
ummm dude, i can't agree with ya, i have proof, but thier are some e-trans out thier.
mine's has it, i need to take pic's but my dad gotta get a new battery for the digi-cam.

but here are some links though:

http://chineseguy.8m.com/cgi-bin/i/pix-cars/Honda/Accord/1988/88b-acc1.jpg

here's another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2489821635&category=6755

but as for the ecu itself has a clock umm, no
the ecu depend's on speed and throttle pressure, and on efi model's the tps also, and a few other thing's.

so you whould more than likely have to adjust the t/v cable.

SteveDX89
09-21-2004, 09:05 AM
Ok, since DX and LX models don't have ECU's, how is the tranny controlled?

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2004, 09:11 AM
i knew this would come up.
i know for a fact the prelude has a e-tran's thier's is an separate ecu for it too!
and the last time i looked under my seat on my 88 lx i had an ecu, which work's, compared to the 86 ( which did'nt work, hmmmm)

shepherd79
09-21-2004, 09:12 AM
ummm dude, i can't agree with ya, i have proof, but thier are some e-trans out thier.
mine's has it, i need to take pic's but my dad gotta get a new battery for the digi-cam.

but here are some links though:

http://chineseguy.8m.com/cgi-bin/i/pix-cars/Honda/Accord/1988/88b-acc1.jpg

here's another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2489821635&category=6755

but as for the ecu itself has a clock umm, no
the ecu depend's on speed and throttle pressure, and on efi model's the tps also, and a few other thing's.

so you whould more than likely have to adjust the t/v cable.

Our cars have no E-trans. it controls with a simple cable. the more you pull the harder itwill the shift.

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2004, 09:23 AM
what the f%$k ever.
look i know that my 86 did'nt have these solenoid's on the top, but this one does, so what are these trans universal or something? . . . . .
plus noone's perfect, i seen the damn solenoid's i thought maybe this one had a e-trans so what hit me with a 2x4!!!

SteveDX89
09-21-2004, 09:50 AM
The box under the seat on your lx is not an ecu. It's a solenoid controller. It's for all the little shits inside the black box in the engine bay. And yes, these trannies are universal. You can use any A20 trans on any A20 engine.

Shakedown
09-21-2004, 04:36 PM
so I'm lost in this, does the ECU clock control the shifting or not? Well the guy who showed me how to do it actually pulled out the ECU clock chip so I know I didn't misunderstand anything, and apparantly he had done it to a couple of other Honda's and it worked. So if the ECU clock doesn't have anything to do with it than what would I have to do to change that?

smufguy
09-21-2004, 04:55 PM
so I'm lost in this, does the ECU clock control the shifting or not? Well the guy who showed me how to do it actually pulled out the ECU clock chip so I know I didn't misunderstand anything, and apparantly he had done it to a couple of other Honda's and it worked. So if the ECU clock doesn't have anything to do with it than what would I have to do to change that?

bro, here is the deal. NOthing too confusing. our ecus dont control anythng besides fuel injection okay? even the ignition timing is done under vaccuum. so dont think our trannies are controlled by the ecu. its just the cable. On the 4th gen and up (talking about accords) they were controlled by ecus. cause of their sports mode controlled electronically irrespective of the throttle.

and next time, check the lil status of a member when he replies. cause guaranteed if he is a Se-i user or above (check also his post count and where he actually hangs around) to get some credibility.

accordlxi2.0: why the outburst? U been here long enough to know that ur carb car does not have a ECU. the shit u got is just an emission box that, like steve said, controlls ur emissions and no more. And dont compare a lude to the accord.

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2004, 05:10 PM
first off i stand corrected, once i got done with my shit, i went to my car and looked and where the wire's going to the solenoid went into the rest of the harness, i kinda tugged it and it was'nt connected . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . .. . . . . i don't think i said it right stevedx89, what i meant to say was, okay now since the 3geez don't have a e-trans, i did'nt mean if any a20 tranny was universal, i meant that, when your original tranny goes to shit ,they replace it .But this has the solenoid's, but the 3g has no control over shift's , but it'll still shift, that what i meant.

like i said noone's perfect, so what i made a fucked up mistake, thought it was e-controlled just 'cause i looked at the solenoids,b ut then once i pulled those wire's and seen that they were just there.
it's really no reason to resort to some name calling.

BTW, shakedown if you want to control your shift's like i said before your gonna have to adjust your t/v cable.

UPDATE::::::::

i just read everything over and noticed that shep edit.
that's why the outburst.

Shakedown
09-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Hmm...well right now I'm starting to learn all this car stuff, so bare with me, you were at that point once too. I'll have to talk to the guy again, make sure I completely understood him (which I'm positive I did, but it can't hurt to ask again).

Damn me, I wish I had a manual :sad2:

SteveDX89
09-21-2004, 06:23 PM
Hmm...well right now I'm starting to learn all this car stuff, so bare with me, you were at that point once too. I'll have to talk to the guy again, make sure I completely understood him (which I'm positive I did, but it can't hurt to ask again).

Damn me, I wish I had a manual :sad2:

Yes, manual trannies own. I love them.

accordlxi2.0
09-21-2004, 06:23 PM
oh wait someone else had done this??

and thank you for understanding me, it's not like i said, hey if ya bang a prostitute you won't catch a desise.

well if you adjust the t/v cable that'll help your shift's.
i don't know if it happenes on honda's but ford had a big problem with this.
if the t/v is out of adjustment then it screw's up the tran's.

Shakedown
09-21-2004, 08:53 PM
oh wait someone else had done this??

Ya a guy I know at a garage called Westside Customs in Hillsboro, Oregon did it to his Honda and some of his friends Honda's. Maybe there's more to it, but somehow he changed the RPM's

shepherd79
09-22-2004, 03:47 AM
take 12 mm wrench and adjust the damn TV cable if you want your tranny to shift at higher gear. it is not that hard to understand. by adjusting the TV cable, you will allow tranny to shift at higher RPM, but that is about it.
if you still convinced that there should be something to do with ECU, take it to that shop of yours and let them rape you just to tell you that they can't do it.

accordlxi2.0
09-22-2004, 06:09 AM
BUT, i'm just guessing right off, since you wanna raise the shift point's past the redline or no??

smufguy
09-22-2004, 12:50 PM
u cant raise the shift point above the redline

HondaBoy
09-26-2004, 11:16 AM
hmm, i think the only way to get to different shift points with our automatic tranny is with a performance shift kit. this would probley be because the 3gee's auto tranny is fully hydrolic isnt it? oh and yeah they said before that something about messing with the tv thingamajig.

smufguy
09-26-2004, 10:31 PM
or hold the bitch in and do it manually :)

Shakedown
10-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Well, I was bored last night so I took out the ECU Clock chip in the fuse box in the engine bay for a couple of minutes, put it back in and started up the car and floored it up to 4k RPMS then released the gas and it did change the RPM's somehow. Normally it shifts at 2.5, 3, 3.5 but after that it shifted at 3, 3.5, 4. It must've reset after I turned the car off though, but it somehow affected the shifts.

smufguy
10-03-2004, 08:38 PM
pulling the ecu fuse on the car with a tranny that is not controlled by the ECU and it affected it huh? Well its just a coincidence man.

Shakedown
10-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Hah, I tried it again and set it too high at 5k, now I have to floor it to get it to third gear...haha, gotta fix that

accordlxi2.0
10-05-2004, 06:01 PM
okay first off, look around the tranny do you see two solenoid's???
i have those but it's not conected to anything.

i'm not saying that i don't belive and i'm not saying i belive you . . . . . .

smufguy
10-05-2004, 08:04 PM
have u ever talked to a tree? well we all did with a buncha ppl here talking about their ecu controlling their ecu. End result?? ignorance and failure to realize the fact, aparently still exists.

bboipinoy112
10-05-2004, 08:56 PM
heh. this guy is nuts man.

EDIT - and if you want to know how to shift passed 6k rpms in our 3geez honda accord. i know how, and its not that hard to figure out how to do it either. :cool:

accordlxi2.0
10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
i still don't under stand how this is possible.
i forgot the name of the e-tranny it came out in like 91 or something, it's the kinda where it uses a ecu to adjust to your driving tactic's.

i know the sable has it, but like i said i was wrong . . . . .
my other 2 3g's did'nt have a e-tran's so i don't know why this one would be different.

smufguy
10-06-2004, 07:53 AM
fellas, it was in 1990, the 4th gen, they brought the sports tranny. Or to say the shitty auto with sports mode and all it did was under full throttle (pedal to the metal) it shifted at 6K. thats only if u had the sports on. ANd our 3g trannies dont have em. THey are just controlled by how hard u pull on the TV cable, hence the throttle and its duration. I am not a geek about autos. but all there is to it is that its not controlled by the ecu. PERIOD.

PS: Mods, if you guys can lock this stupid of a thread. please do and if any other threads do arise in this manner, please delete them. Its a waste of our time and space here to answer these fellas who dont wanna listen. :uh:

SteveDX89
10-06-2004, 08:05 AM
have u ever talked to a tree? well we all did with a buncha ppl here talking about their ecu controlling their ecu. End result?? ignorance and failure to realize the fact, aparently still exists.

Mods, if you guys can lock this stupid of a thread. please do and if any other threads do arise in this manner, please delete them. Its a waste of our time and space here to answer these fellas who dont wanna listen.

Ahahahaha. Get 'em Praveen.

HostileJava
10-06-2004, 08:14 AM
Haha this is so funny, I can tell you boys when I pulled the auto out of my 89 SE-i the only electric wires connected to that were the backuplights and the cables going to the starter. And If you can't control where you're auto is shifting you're not driving it right, just floor it till u get to the point where u want it to shift let off the gas slightly it will shift and then slam it again. Easy. I've done with my 86 LX-i hatch and my 89 SE-i Coupe. In fact that's the only way to drive it, till it breaks.

Vinny
10-06-2004, 08:23 AM
OK let me enlighten some people. Fuse 11 under the hood is the ECU/Clock FUSE, not the ECU clock CHIP. The / between the 2 words indicates it provides power to the ECU AND the clock, there is NO ECU Clock. When you pull the fuse you RESET the ECU's memory (stored faults / PGM FI light) and the DASH CLOCK's memory by temporarily removing power from them.

In doubt see p 12-16, 15-71, and 25-13 of the downloadable service manual found HERE (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html)

Praveen if this thread bothers you so much dont reply to it. When you become a mod you can close all the threads you want that dont meet your standards or dont want to buy into your beliefs. Heres a concept...........If they dont want to listen to what you have to say then stop talking. Don't take offense Praveen, its not just you whos wanting threads locked and the like. Some of the attitudes on the board are getting a little stale

SteveDX89
10-06-2004, 08:33 AM
OK let me enlighten some people. Fuse 11 under the hood is the ECU/Clock FUSE, not the ECU clock CHIP. The / between the 2 words indicates it provides power to the ECU AND the clock, there is NO ECU Clock. When you pull the fuse you RESET the ECU's memory (stored faults / PGM FI light) and the DASH CLOCK's memory by temporarily removing power from them.

In doubt see p 12-16, 15-71, and 25-13 of the downloadable service manual found HERE (http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html)

Praveen if this thread bothers you so much dont reply to it. When you become a mod you can close all the threads you want that dont meet your standards or dont want to buy into your beliefs. Heres a concept...........If they dont want to listen to what you have to say then stop talking. Don't take offense Praveen, its not just you whos wanting threads locked and the like. Some of the attitudes on the board are getting a little stale

:mod:

HostileJava
10-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Steve you're like the peanut gallery. And Vinny technically you're not correct, every ecu has a clock speed that it operates at and uses that to time it's communications with every device it's connected to, so technically your not resetting the clock since once you apply power to it again it will start operating at the same frequency, but you are stopping and starting the ECU clock.

accordlxi2.0
10-06-2004, 08:50 AM
LOL, i think that's what got him confused. ECU/CLOCK fuse.

smuf if that's all that sport's mode does then that suck's.
when i posted about the tranny that adjust to your driving i was'nt talking about the 3g or the 4th g's.
i'm convinced that our car's does'nt have a e-tranny.

smufguy
10-06-2004, 09:03 AM
believe me, if i was a mod, a whole of this kinda crap would have been cleaned up. It just have accumilated too much that its beyond belief. One guy i know who works his ass off to clean stuff is MIke. maybe other mods do it too, but not that much. Well, if indifference is what people need, well then thats what ill give. :welcome:

Vinny
10-06-2004, 09:07 AM
James read what I said carefully. The term ECU Clock was made in reference to the fuse labeled ECU/clock. IT IS NOT A FUSE FOR THE ECU CLOCK.

Theres is nothing technical about what I mentioned, its simple english 101.

A slash or slant or solidus or virgule [ / ] (take your pick of names) is used to indicate a choice between the words it separates.

The slash can be translated as or and should not be used where the word or could not be used in its place. Notice there is no space between the slash and the letters on either side of it.

Removing fuse 11 removes the 12v constant signal to the ECU's stored memory, thus clearing it. Removing fuse 11 also removes power from the DASH clock, thus removing power to its memory. Nowhere did I say anything about resetting any clock contained in the ECU

HostileJava
10-06-2004, 09:25 AM
James read what I said carefully. The term ECU Clock was made in reference to the fuse labeled ECU/clock. IT IS NOT A FUSE FOR THE ECU CLOCK.

Theres is nothing technical about what I mentioned, its simple english 101.

Removing fuse 11 removes the 12v constant signal to the ECU's stored memory, thus clearing it. Removing fuse 11 also removes power from the DASH clock, thus removing power to its memory. Nowhere did I say anything about resetting any clock contained in the ECU

Because pulling that fuse, breaks the circuit to the ECU which causes the contents of memory to be lost and the ECU clock to stop. That is the defintion of a reset in electronics. So essentially you are resetting the ECU clock. Haha, besides I don't want to get into it with you, I just enjoy messing with you.

Vinny
10-06-2004, 09:37 AM
believe me, if i was a mod, a whole of this kinda crap would have been cleaned up. It just have accumilated too much that its beyond belief. One guy i know who works his ass off to clean stuff is MIke. maybe other mods do it too, but not that much. Well, if indifference is what people need, well then thats what ill give. :welcome:

Sometimes people need an actual reference to clarify what they are thinking to be properly educated. For some people you can tell then all day but unless they can see it in print for an accredited factual source you are wasting your breath. That’s why I reference the shop manual whenever I can in situations like these.

As far as the "if's" go that may be true. And if my son were born with a vagina he would be my daughter.

Back to the original post.
the three pages I referenced SHOULD clear the picture up.
12-16 - Self Diagnosis Indicator, troubleshooting
15-71 - Throttle Cable Adjustment/inspection
25-12 - Clock input test (Dash mounted didital Clock)

And James said steve was a peanut gallery............ :kekeke:

SteveDX89
10-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Vinny is 100% correct. Pull that fuse to reset your ECU and I guarantee you'll be resetting your clock in the dash. If I'm correct, you will also have to reset all your radio settings.

James :pc:

HostileJava
10-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Vinny is 100% correct. Pull that fuse to reset your ECU and I guarantee you'll be resetting your clock in the dash. If I'm correct, you will also have to reset all your radio settings.

James :pc:

Nope, your radio and cig lighter are on the same fuse :P

And all I'm saying is that the ECU has it's own internal clock, not to tell time, but to time communications with different devices and it's own internal calculations. If you understood how an information bus worked you'd understand what I'm saying. It's all good though.

accordlxi2.0
10-06-2004, 10:29 AM
like when to go into close loop.
duration of the injector's, stuff like that??

Shakedown
10-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Ya when I pull the fuse it resets the dash (radio presets, clock, kicks out my cd)