PDA

View Full Version : Sticky paint

Klue
09-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi all, I am in the process of redoing my interior and i was wondering why the paint seems to remain tacky in some places. I did a search first and found out that krylon fusion was the best pain to use. So i removed the door panel and cleaned the the panel, masked it off, cleaned with rubbing alcohold, let dry and applied paint. On the panel itself, the only place that doesnt dry to a hard finish is the upper part with the door relase mechanism. The whole area with that particular material remains tacky. So my question is has anyone experienced this and has a remedy? (ps i searched)

Vanilla Sky
09-21-2004, 03:18 PM
i would think that you are painting while it's too moist... make sure you paint when it's as dry as possible... also, you may want to give the paint some more curing time...

another thing may be that you are still leaving behid residue from hands reaching to the door handle for years... this can be VERY hard to get off... you'll want to scrub it with regular dishwashing liquid first, then do that a few more times, and then go with the alcohol rubdown... and make sure you use 100% alcohol, not "rubbing alcohol"

NXRacer
09-21-2004, 03:25 PM
i'm guessing either the paint takes an exceptionaly long time to cure or you used too thick of a coat to start with.

Klue
09-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Thanks for your advice, iam gonna put in in my garage tommrow, its pretty dry there

howndamane
09-21-2004, 05:34 PM
eww man that sounds messy. good luck with it. best thing to do would be to not touch it and let it dry...do what vanilla said and also try to smooth the paint out where it is iffy and maybe spray it over with another coat.

Klue
09-21-2004, 06:45 PM
Well since i cant exactly start over, i decided to use this other vinyl paint i got at Canadian Tire, i sprayed it over like 2 coats, it seems to have solidified a bit more, but in some areas its not sticking....(probably due to prep work) ill put it out in my garage tommrow while iam at school,
thanks guys

88accordalltheway
09-21-2004, 06:48 PM
yea, vinyl paint is the way to go for the vinyl stuff. I used it my interior, and it came out preety well, but i dont have any pics yet.

zero.counter
09-21-2004, 07:36 PM
The warmth from your hands or anything like ambient temperature actually tends to reactivate tacky paint. Always wait at least 24 hours to really cure, set up and dry. The next time you paint, make sure not to make one heavy coat, but moreso several light coats and allow ample time to dry in between. You may have a very heavy coat and moisture may have played a great part in your problem. If you don't feel like doing it over, one method that I have used successfully is applying a carnuba wax to the sticky area. The wax coating removes tackiness, though it may have to be repeated if the tackiness reoccurs.

If you try sanding (possibly wet sanding with a high grit), be careful not to rub too hard as it may tear the paint away and expose the surface of the material painted. Put it in the garage and place a fan on the high speed setting in there overnight. :)

HostileJava
09-22-2004, 05:25 AM
Let me give you some advice with the Fusion if your going to use it again. Even though it says it doesn't really require any prepwork.

1. Lightly sand the piece your going to paint.
2. Wash with hand soap and dry THOUROUGHLY.
3. Shake paint for at least 1minute.
4. Put on a very light coat.
5. Count to 15 while shaking the can.
6. Apply another very light coat.
You can apply up to 4 coats using this light coat 15 second shake method.
7. Wait 20min recoat with same process
Continue Process till desired color/thickness.
8. Let cure for 24 hours before handling.