PDA

View Full Version : Radiator just cracked!!

Dr._8t9LX
09-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Got off the freeway today and steam was blowing out of my hood. Temp guage was almost to the redline so I shut the engine off. There is a crack next to the cap on the neck of the radiator!!! Damb it! Got Fluid all over my clean engine!!

Question: is this common with '89 LX?

could something else have gone wrong like termostat or water pump, first and heat made crarck?

Any advice appriciated, i haven't done a search yet.

Gota go, tow trucks here.

J Cox

:pc: :uh: :mad: :sad2: :dunno:

:cool:

carotman
09-22-2004, 04:28 PM
well, it's not common. If your thermostat broke like mine and just let a little bit of coolant, the upper part of the radiator might have gotten quite alot of heat. Still, mine resisted like a champ.

I guess there was a defect in the upper rad tank.

A20A1
09-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Was your fluid full and did you check it recently before it cracked?

I had mine go from constant water leaks... which cause overheating.

Dr._8t9LX
09-22-2004, 05:23 PM
I cleaned it up and it is a 2 inch crack about an inch down from the cap. Engine seem ok, but i got my fingers crossed. Honda wants $350 for a radiator so I am gona try JB weld or something first. Then I guess I gota check the thermo and the h20 pump.

Thanks

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-22-2004, 05:52 PM
My radiator is doing a similar thing. Except right now it is just a really slow leak. These cracks occur because the plastic becomes brittle from expansion and contraction and eventually cracks. BTW, a new radiator from http://www.rockauto.com/ is about 75 bucks.

smufguy
09-22-2004, 08:29 PM
I cleaned it up and it is a 2 inch crack about an inch down from the cap. Engine seem ok, but i got my fingers crossed. Honda wants $350 for a radiator so I am gona try JB weld or something first. Then I guess I gota check the thermo and the h20 pump.

Thanks

get one from autozone. Mine went out two months back. It was on the bottom. Shit was corroded and rusted ( i got it from a junkyard for 20 bucks). bad mistake. The new one from autozone cost about 120 bucks and its a direct fit. They only come in universal, meaning its a radiator for auto cars. U can use it for the manual with no problem, but u just wont use the tranny cooler lines.

IF i were you, i would get it from autozone. It comes with limited lifetime warrenty so u can be happy. and it fits perfectly.

Dr._8t9LX
09-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks guys. I bought some radiator fiberglass patch stuff, we will see if I can make it to work tommorrow.

I am trying to only put genuine Honda parts in my baby, but the Autozone/Kragen route does look good. I allready use aftermarket for replaceable parts like shocks, airfilters, oil, etc...so why not some of the "permenant" parts too.

shepherd79
09-23-2004, 03:33 AM
if i was you, i would stay away from plastic ratiators. i believe in 86-87 radiators were made out of metal. they switched to plastic in 88-89 i think.

Dr._8t9LX
09-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Good tip! I will look into that thankz

acranox
09-24-2004, 04:27 AM
I bought one from radiator.com and it was $99. I think it had metal tanks, but I'm not 100% sure. I've had it about a year and a half now, with no problems.
I generally like OEM parts, but when the OEM part is over three times as expensive as an aftermarket, I just can't justify it.

DBMaster
09-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Actually, unless it is an all-aluminum performance radiator I would stick with the plastic tank/metal core combination. I bought a reputable brand (CSP) aftermarket all metal radiator in 2000 and it was leaking at a tank to core solder joint three years later. The company that sold it to me made good on the lifetime warranty and said they had switched to the plastic/metal combination for just that reason. My mechanic also said they did the same thing. Lifetime warranty is great and all, but who wants to have to replace the radiator every three years?

The new one has been in for almost a year now and no problems so far.