PDA

View Full Version : DC Sports Short Shifter

nswst8
09-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Okay all I need some info. I'm ready to throw this shifter in and I need some quick help.
1. Does this shifter hit the heat deflector shield
2. Its just a straight drop in, right.

The car is apart and I'm trying to put this in now. So any suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated.

nswst8
09-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Bump

SteveDX89
09-23-2004, 02:39 PM
I believe it's a direct replacement. I think if you adjust the ball all the way up, it will hit the exhaust heat shield. Try setting it in the middle and see how it feels.

EDIT - I'm thinking of the Pacesetter shifter. What car is this from?

maka_RTH
09-23-2004, 03:35 PM
it should be the civic one. i think like '84-'87. i'm trying to decide between the two myself..., pacesetter or DC...

RobT5580
09-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I have the pacesetter and set it to the middle and it hit a tad. All i did was looked for the crape marks on the heat shield and hit it down with a hammer and its perfect. Overall it should be easy the only issue i had was the bolt head would turn on top while i was turning the ratchet below the car so i put some vise grips up top so it would hit something and hold the bolt still. Other than that no issues.

AccordEpicenter
09-23-2004, 05:23 PM
yeah dont be afraid to mod your heat shields guys

nswst8
09-23-2004, 05:50 PM
it should be the civic one. i think like '84-'87. i'm trying to decide between the two myself..., pacesetter or DC...

Got it from www.ajusa.com they had a back order on them and now they are only listing the shifter itself and not any of the shift knobs any more. So just a word of caution if your interested in the DC Sport better get one soon.

eightyfivelude
09-23-2004, 10:04 PM
hey,

if you really feel like it... just take the heat shield right out. It really doesn't do a hell of a lot. I took mine right off of my car. Shifter doesn't get hot, e-brake handle doesn't get hot. I have the pace setter adjustable in my car and i can set it where ever i want without it hitting anything.

Matt

Matt

maka_RTH
09-23-2004, 11:34 PM
which one do you guys think is a better design? the DC sports one or the pacesetter one?

Volitech
09-24-2004, 05:35 AM
I have the dc and its as smooth as can be!

MarioBurke
10-01-2004, 08:42 PM
i have the pacesetter and if I set the ball almost to the top i cant hit any gears without grinding them!?

Hash_man_Se_i
10-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Does DC make one specifically for our cars? or is this from another car? i would personally rather buy a DC product then a pacesetter.

maka_RTH
10-03-2004, 12:47 AM
the DC one is for an '84-87 civic i believe. and i too like DC over pacesetter. it's just with the price difference, and pacesetter is adjustable.., i'm not sure which one is really better.

MarioBurke
10-03-2004, 01:15 AM
i havent used the DC sports shifter but anythings gotta be better than this pacesetter

nswst8
10-03-2004, 04:55 AM
Does DC make one specifically for our cars? or is this from another car? i would personally rather buy a DC product then a pacesetter.

nswst8
10-03-2004, 04:58 AM
which one do you guys think is a better design? the DC sports one or the pacesetter one?

I haven't seen the Pacesetter, The DC Sport was a direct drop in, only had to adjust the heat deflector shield with the 3lb adjuster sledge :rockon: Other than that it was a breeze.

MarioBurke
10-03-2004, 09:14 AM
the 3lb adjuster sledge.

Also Known as the "Ford Fine Adjustment Tool"

nswst8
10-04-2004, 07:33 PM
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Sabz5150
10-04-2004, 07:37 PM
I have the Pacesetter and I've never had a problem with it. I also installed the urethane shifter bushings and the two combined make shifting precise and fast.

I also prefer any performance parts that are adjustable over non adjustable ones.

(My adjuster sledge is 9lbs)

thegreatdane
10-05-2004, 06:35 AM
i have the pacesetter and if I set the ball almost to the top i cant hit any gears without grinding them!?

That's most likely a combination between your synchros not being all that good anymore and the fact that with a short throw shifter your shift will be alot faster. Therefore the synchros doesnt have enough time to synchronice the gears which creates grinding. Simple as that.

A short throw shifter WILL be harder on your synchros because of the faster shift.

MarioBurke
10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
That's most likely a combination between your synchros not being all that good anymore and the fact that with a short throw shifter your shift will be alot faster. Therefore the synchros doesnt have enough time to synchronice the gears which creates grinding. Simple as that.

A short throw shifter WILL be harder on your synchros because of the faster shift.

yeess i know this.

but if you drive another car with a short throw shifter such as a 4th gen accord or a GSR you will know what i mean. the shifter is just not that great.