PDA

View Full Version : just got car back from shop PROBLEMS!

ehulst
09-23-2004, 05:11 PM
so i got my car driving down the road with the new tranny in.........i started to slow down cause some kids where in the road and bout 45 secs later still slowing down my car drops into neutral from D4.......did it 4 times on me while slowing down.........so i drove it back to the shop and he said there wasn't any oil in it or and tranny fluid was low........so he filled em up and she ran fine, but then bout 15-20mins later she did it again on a hill......it was hesitant to go into a gear like it was confused......i think it just might be air in the fluid so i put some Lucas Auto tranny fluid fix into it and seems like its working better......but what would be the problem low fluid?
the other problem is there a clinking sound coming from the front of the motor.....i can feel it kinda on my valve cover so i'm thinking its a rocker like its been mentioned on the board or a mount...could it be a exhaust leak?(Hmmmm)..any other ideas on what these major problems could be?

smufguy
09-23-2004, 09:17 PM
how is the TV cable. Is it too loose or is it too tight? also check the tension on ur throttle cable too.

If the hesitation persists. u possibly need to drain the ATF and change the screen in the tranny. Its a dirty job, but hope some minor stuff is what is causing it, so u dont have to spend too much time on this.

ehulst
09-24-2004, 02:17 AM
the TV cable to me seems lose.......i can move it around fairly well......i can move it side to side bout 1-3 cm......i thought the same thing but hes like no its not that its fine......but i'm worried bout the tinkin noise from the front of the engine......

ehulst
09-28-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm still hearing a noise from my engine right in the front like something is hitting my valve cover........i fixed my lifters they were loose but i still hear that taping sound under the valve cover...i cant pin it down..i can hear it inside the car whilte driving.....it starts at 2500 or less and just stays till i slow down.....i think it might be a rod knocking?how bad is it to drive with a knocking rod.....herd its very $$$$ if waited too long.........i've searched and i'm just woundering what else it could be.......

shepherd79
09-28-2004, 05:59 PM
check your piston compression.
if could have blown head gasket.

AccordAddict
09-29-2004, 05:21 AM
hey my car does something similiar, it started the other day. when i start accelerating (and only when my window is down) i can hear this ticking noise when i press on the gas, it maybe something hitting the wheels or whatever but i dont know what it could be. i can only hear it when my window is down though, not threw the car.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
The ticking noise you hear is most probably detonation or pinging. It happens because either your ignition timing is off, you are overloading the engine (too high of a gear), or you are using gasoline with low octane content. Also, ehulst, are you getting the noise when you are trying to accelerate with RPM below 2500? If so, chances are you have overadvanced timing. Reset it and try again. You may also be running lean, but timing is usually the prime suspect.

P.S.: On a slightly different note, since you just had your transmission swapped (ehulst), the TV cable may not be adjusted correctly resulting in the transmission not downshifting properly. Follow the shop manual procedure to adjust it correctly.

A20A1
09-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Okay with the car off
Loosen all of the adjustment nuts for the trans TV cable and throttle cable giving room on the adjustment shaft in both direction.

then get a stick and hold the pedal down against the floor.

now pull on the cable shaft and adjust so that the slack in the cable is removed...
Just before you finish tigtening the adjustment nuts down all the way, remove the stick and pull the throttle shaft just a tad bit further away from the carb and tighten the nuts fully, this will keep the floor from blocking you from getting WOT. You don't want to do it too much or you'l end up with an idle problem.

Now reinsert the sitck and hold the pedal to the floor again.

This time you will adjust the TV cable at the trans.
lift the TV lever all the way up with one hand and then let it fall like 1mm-3mm and tighten the adjustment nuts, this will give it play and it will keep the TV lever from interfering with the trottle cable reaching WOT.

remove the stick and start the motor and check the idle... if the idle is too high after the car has fully warmed up then you should check the idle diaphram... if loosining the adjustment screw doesn't drop the idle then the throttle cable is too tight... or there is a vacuum leak to the throttle contorller

ehulst
09-29-2004, 03:51 PM
ok i'll try all of those ideas....thanks fella's.....i just don't wnat a blown engine right now.....lol

smufguy
09-29-2004, 05:08 PM
its probably not detonation. For too long i have run my car with full ignition advance with no pinging or what not. It only happened at higher engine rpm. Not doing it again. now its advanced liek 3degs max.

as for the noice, where EXACTLY is it coming from?

88Accord-DX
09-30-2004, 12:45 AM
I would have your valve clearance adjusted, and timing. Sounds like the rocker arm or arms are tapping cause of to much valve clearance. Spark knock/ and or detonation is from too much retard or advance in the timing which is mainly felt after acceleration when it is not idleing. The tranny part I don't know, I specialize in the engine part. I would have to hear the car and drive it to give some better advise. But let us know how it is going.