PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like the 3G?

Reptile
07-25-2002, 07:19 PM
quite frankly i have to say i like it because its just flat out perfect. These cars are fast and stylish, they look bada$$ and they can back it up. the only minor complaint i have it that my new LX isnt as fast as my old LX-i. Some complaint huh? Anyway why is it you guys like these cars, im new here and this is my first post so i wanted to make it special. Lets all thank the Honda God for makeing these great little vehicles for us to enjoy.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: H

87accordlxi
07-25-2002, 08:15 PM
although i would never say these cars are fast, i do find the power to be adequate and peppy enough for around-town driving. the car is smooth on the highway and handles nicely. the engine has been bulletproof, but there have been more small niggling problems compared to my 86 Ciera. but then again, what do you expect from an older car? overall, i love my car because i can trust it and it will always get me from point A to point B

Stefi-blueLX
07-25-2002, 08:48 PM
First of all, it was and still is my first car, it's blue,
and those pop-up lights! I love em!:D I just think
it's a cute car. I mean I don't see any other sedans
with pop-up lights, you know? It looks kinda sporty.
Plus it's a Honda. :D

87accordlx
07-25-2002, 08:49 PM
i love the reliability, the styling, if i had of knowen about this board before i bought the car i would have held out for a fuel injected engine but the carbed one has more than enough power for what i use it for, oh and the interiour is well thought out and pretty comfortable

anchovies
07-25-2002, 09:37 PM
no idea...or can't explain..
but i like it
maybe its the body lines
maybe the flipups
maybe a combo of everything i guess...but i hate my 13 year old engine compartment...yikes

88Ex-i
07-25-2002, 10:21 PM
i'd have to say its the lines..........i have a coupe, and the lines on it are so sweet. and the pop-up lights are one of a kind. also, they never ever (rarely) die on their own. Drive em till they die....

AZmike
07-26-2002, 12:33 AM
For me it's the perfect compromise car:

It's powerful enough to be fast (sort of) and still get great mileage (33 mi/gal city, 36 mi/gal highway). It's big enough to haul a bunch of stuff, people, or whatever, but still small enough that it handles well. It's old enough that it's pretty easy to fix it and get parts (not like those new computer-does-everything, dealer-has-to-fix-it cars), but still new enough that the parts are still available and there are still wrecked ones to pick at that haven't been crushed. In sort, the 86-89 Accords were so well designed that they do almost anything pretty well.

Add to that it's low price and Honda's super reliabilty and it's really a hard car to beat.

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-26-2002, 12:40 AM
I dunno....I think I just like everything about it. I know it's no muscle car or anything, but I too find the power to be perfectly adequate. I LOVE the steering, the tranny ratios are just right, the flippies, the lines, and just the overall stance. I also find it to be very comfortable on trips, especially with cruise control on (I know many peeps won't agree with me on that, but I think it depends on the person and the body shape, size, etc). Always nice and smooth at high speeds, and everything just feels right, and tight. And we can't forget the reliability! You just can't kill these 3geez! I can ALWAYS count on her to take me where ever I want to go, when ever I want to go there, and I don't have to worry about breaking down. No worries on my Illinois-Ohio ventures, or any other trip for that matter. Like one review I read for the newer Accords said....it simply does everything right.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: 3geez

:D

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Oh yea I also forgot to mention size. I feel exactly the same way that 89LXi4dr does. It's big enough to fit all my stuff, people, and is comfy, but it's small enough that it's not a heavy ass tank with sloppy handling. I like the interior layout too. Everything is easy to reach, and the pushbuttons are cool too. Instruments are large and easy to read (I have VERY bad vision, and can still see them real well. Whenever I drive my sisters Maxima, I have to lean forward to see exactly how fast I'm going b/c the numbers are so damn small, lol)

It's just plain sexy all over! LOL :lol

Inabj2
07-26-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
Oh yea I also forgot to mention size. I feel exactly the same way that 89LXi4dr does. It's big enough to fit all my stuff, people, and is comfy, but it's small enough that it's not a heavy ass tank with sloppy handling. I like the interior layout too. Everything is easy to reach, and the pushbuttons are cool too. Instruments are large and easy to read (I have VERY bad vision, and can still see them real well. Whenever I drive my sisters Maxima, I have to lean forward to see exactly how fast I'm going b/c the numbers are so damn small, lol)

It's just plain sexy all over! LOL :lol

:eek: :eek: :help: :help: :omg:

omg man how do you read the signs?

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-26-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Inabj2

:eek: :eek: :help: :help: :omg:

omg man how do you read the signs?
Heheh....well I can't see the green street signs at all until I'm right up close (as in going past the street I just needed to turn at, lol). Driving by landmarks is pretty much the way I do it. Other than that though I don't have any problems. I think one of the problems seeing the gauges in the Maxima are that they're not very bright. All the lights work and all, they just don't get as bright and they glow that funky green color, and the numbers are thin too.

:)

Inabj2
07-26-2002, 01:32 AM
I like it cuase its the only car i can use right now. I like its flip flips and the lines are decent. But what i like it the car has a very responsive throthle and it feels pretty fast, enough to hold its own and beat many newer cars of its class on highway show downs! and in case off extremely stupid driver m dad on it has once one a show down vs a bmw 740. I know i know the car should of killed us but the guy driving that bmw was a moron obviusly. my beloved 3geez has humbled aggresiv pizza delivery guys with recent corollas models onstop light brawls, and on one occasion a camry (driver? or is camry slugish car?) and has countless kill ratios vs many other cars of its class, and a few glorious losses vs cars of more performance, one moemorable bout was vs an audiTT. The audi tt won, of course eventually but the look of his surprsed look at how much go my 3gee had on his face and him having to step full gas to beat my 3 geez nd him looking at side wodering why it took so much of his audi to beat my 3gee. Its sleeper car that everyone understimates but packs sting. And my dad enjoys this car immensely. He when he can (no trafic ncops) has several times cruised onthe beltway well eyond 100 mph. I believe he has reach betwen 115 and 120 mph several times on our 3gee stock. This car will always have a special place on my heart, And will one day mod it. But right now since its more of my dads car then mine am looking for a 1986.5-1992.5 toyota supra turbo to call my on and sup it up to 375 hp with suprasstores stage 6 kit. once im don with the supra ill shall return and sup up the 3gee if my dad has by then gotten a new vehicle.

Inabj2
07-26-2002, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i

Heheh....well I can't see the green street signs at all until I'm right up close (as in going past the street I just needed to turn at, lol). Driving by landmarks is pretty much the way I do it. Other than that though I don't have any problems. I think one of the problems seeing the gauges in the Maxima are that they're not very bright. All the lights work and all, they just don't get as bright and they glow that funky green color, and the numbers are thin too.

:)

Cant glasses help the problem? I have bad eyesight to but with contacts i get more then perfect eyesigt. I get 20/10 vision! ya!

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-26-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Inabj2

Cant glasses help the problem? I have bad eyesight to but with contacts i get more then perfect eyesigt. I get 20/10 vision! ya!
I've had contacts since my freshman year in highschool (I'm gonna be 21 in a couple months), and glasses before that since I was 7. I wear the Torec's (which are a freakin $100 each....grrr) to try and correct my astigmatisms (sp?). Even with the contacts though I'm still pretty far from 20/20. I remember quite a few years ago when I had glasses, I was 20/100 (L) and 20/60 (R) with the corrective lenses, but I think it's imporved a bit since then. I really just want to get that laser surgery. My dad just had that done and he said the difference is amazing.

Reptile
07-26-2002, 06:36 AM
0you guys have hlp to prove my point, these cars are just flat out perfect. My old LX-i never lost to a mustang (those things are slow as hell) and when that little punk kid rearended me and took my entire back end off that wonderful car just kept runing like it always did right up until the time the the recker truck came for it. I mean she hit me so hard she warped the body on my 3G but it took that kind of a hit with 175K of a hard life and i barely felt a thing, in addition to it running great afterward still. As far as the body goes, theres nothing i can think of complaining about, i want a body kit and thats it for my new accord. That old 86 was responcible for hlping to get me my job, staying sane and also got me and my stepdad to become close. That car did nothing but improve my life and i wish there was some way i could have repaid it. I know there are plenty of cars out there that are a lot faster than the 3G but as some one be fore stated it holds it own against all these newer cars easily and can even do battle with a few that arent in its class. Also on a side note my younger bro has a 4G Accord LX and i now have a 3G LX and i have to tell you those cars are better than ours in the performance area, but they feel like a boat when your driveing them. They are entierly to big and bulky, and even though they have the engine our LX-i's have it sure doesnt feel like it. He was always saying that i sohouldnt drive as fast as i do, however one time on a 2 hours drive back home one time when i let him drive the entire way in my car he never once went under 70 even in the 55 zones. THis kid is scared to death of cops and he almost never speeds in his own car, but here he is in mine cruiseing at like 75-80 like i always do. I couldnt resist the urge so i leand over to him and said "little old car likes to go over 70 doesnt it?" He just smiled a little and kept on going at that speed for the rest of the ride home. He's never once said a bad thing about my car again since, and though i know he likes his more (as it should be its his) he no longer thinks of my car as inferior to his, nor thats its entirely me thats the one thats going so fast.

I dont know if this is the aniversury or not of my old friend leaving me cus when i lost the old 86 i lost a good months worth of time, i was in so much greif. All i want to do is say thank y0ou to that car cus it did every thing right and now i want nothing but Hondas from now on. Thank you Old Friend i miss you.:sadwave:

Jdub07
07-26-2002, 09:23 AM
Not only do I love this car I almost postponed my own wedding because of it!!! Coming into a marriage I had my two cars and she had one. For some dicked off reason everyone was telling me to sell the honda sell the honda you wont need it and you can use the money! It got so bad that I told my fiance maybe we should wait to get married if my keeping the honda is such a big deal. I mean what the fuck it doesn't cost anything to keep it why sell it? what the fuck we gonna get for it? WE DON"T NEED $1200 that bad. Long story short, they got off my nuts I still have both my babies and I even bought her a new car for our one year anaversary. So keep your fuckin honda...they will only die when you die!

chronicsinners
07-26-2002, 10:05 AM
i personally think you guys are making the 3rd gen accord out to be the best car ever. Dont get me wrong i like my car, but it will never outrun a ITR, it will never outcorner a lowered miata, It will never do alot of things, they do ahve character, and ample features, and longevity, however if i wasnt in the financial position i am in i would get another car in a heartbeat. One thing it does have is originality however that is also its downfall, the reason they are cool when modded is because no one has one, the reason there are no parts are because no one has one/not interested. Yes i like my accord, but apparently not as much as some people here...
my .02

Big Body LX
07-26-2002, 10:45 AM
I sold my 96 Accord LX for 6600 and used 750 of it to buy this car... my 1987 Honda Accord LXi hatchback. The first day I had it I snapped the left axle. We fixed it finally and I'm driving around town and notice the right axle is giving me noises... FAWK!!!!

This car is a pain in the ass... and I hate it everytime I drive it.. but then I turn a corner and feel the ass end kick out, realizing that my 96 NEVER did this and I achieved it for 750 bucks????? I'll keep it :)

netfreak
07-26-2002, 10:46 AM
My first car that I own.. I love the looks and it beats the crap out of my mom's 96 corolla. All the features on it are also nice (power locks, power windows, sunroof, cruise control) everything that corolla never had.

MiGeY
07-26-2002, 11:05 AM
I like it because it is just a nice car, now that I just painted it I swear it looks like a mid 90's car.

Oh ya and they last for ever :D

Hoshizakido
07-26-2002, 01:20 PM
ill never give it up. the styling the not so shabby performance 1/4 mile high 16 low 17 in this altitude. the real reason i love hearing the question why spened the money fixing that thing why dont you by a new car? my reply with a smile what waste 10k on a civic si when im just as fast.

accordlx
07-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Who said that their car will never outcorner a miata?? Mine will. I'd put mine up against a Miata in the twisties any day. It might have a little better acceleration but have beaten many cars you would never think of on back roads. (BMW's, Saabs, Mercedes etc.) With a little cash, you can make anything handle awesome. My car starts every morning, (remote start on a carb no less) gets me where I'm going and doesnt eat a hole in my wallet at the gas pump. I know my car corners better than my 79' unmodified Corvette.

The best thing I like about my car is that I have no car payment. That frees up my money to spend it on what I want. There is no rule written anywhere that says you have to drive a car less than 5 years old in the State of Ohio. Until they write that rule, Im not getting a new car. My car does exactly what I want it to do and at the right price. Car payments are for the birds if you ask me. If I blow the engine, well, I'll get another engine. Tranny, same deal. I don't have any rust so that's not a problem. I'll put any part on it I want because I could care less about resale value. My car works and it works well. It has never failed me and I don't have to order parts from Europe like my BMW did. Rarely, in this day and age do they make a car that is dependable as a 3rd gen Accord. If you don't believe me, take a look around the next time you go out for a drive. See how many other cars you see on the road that were made in the same time frame. You'll see very few compared to the number of 3rd gens on the road. They might not look the best but they keep running forever.

Jdub07
07-26-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by accordlx
Who said that their car will never outcorner a miata?? Mine will. I'd put mine up against a Miata in the twisties any day. It might have a little better acceleration but have beaten many cars you would never think of on back roads. (BMW's, Saabs, Mercedes etc.) With a little cash, you can make anything handle awesome. My car starts every morning, (remote start on a carb no less) gets me where I'm going and doesnt eat a hole in my wallet at the gas pump. I know my car corners better than my 79' unmodified Corvette.

The best thing I like about my car is that I have no car payment. That frees up my money to spend it on what I want. There is no rule written anywhere that says you have to drive a car less than 5 years old in the State of Ohio. Until they write that rule, Im not getting a new car. My car does exactly what I want it to do and at the right price. Car payments are for the birds if you ask me. If I blow the engine, well, I'll get another engine. Tranny, same deal. I don't have any rust so that's not a problem. I'll put any part on it I want because I could care less about resale value. My car works and it works well. It has never failed me and I don't have to order parts from Europe like my BMW did. Rarely, in this day and age do they make a car that is dependable as a 3rd gen Accord. If you don't believe me, take a look around the next time you go out for a drive. See how many other cars you see on the road that were made in the same time frame. You'll see very few compared to the number of 3rd gens on the road. They might not look the best but they keep running forever. :werd:

89BlackH-Back
07-26-2002, 03:34 PM
my friend has a 86 accord lxi coupe and it has a 89 prelude motor in it and he also had a hatch with a prelude motor in it, well he crashed the hatch and i realized that i never got to see modifying of that car and i jus thought about it, I said damn that car would look phat lowered to the ground, so I couldnt find any hatches so i started looking at the CRX and i saw a lowered one and it looked phat but I thought they would look better if they were longer, so finially I decided it was time to get a car so i went and looked at a maroon 89 Lxi coupe and on the way home I got lost and on this road I saw this Black 89 Accord Hatch, so I was like damn so I stopped and it was a 5 speed so I knocked on the guys door and come to find out he was a lawyer from downtown and his son didnt want it because it wasnt a 2002, so I offered him $1900 now the more I do to it the more I like it, hey plus i slid into a ditch jus this past winter and my friend Chuck was like we are screwed I threw it in reverse and it rode out of that ditch like a lawn tractor it doesnt get better than that

Paul Aerodeck86
07-28-2002, 12:35 AM
I like it, because it's real great car!
I can beat many new cars on it! And Accord 3gen real stylish... Yeah, it's little oldie, but looking good! Many people don't trust to me, that my car is 1986! With HID converison and chrome wheels it's look fantastic!

And it's real unique car. In Moscow among 3 000 000 car, aerodecks - not more 50!

Looking great, isn't it? ;) ;)

http://www.pauldesign.ru/photos/honda43.jpg

Einstein
07-28-2002, 06:51 AM
High reliability used car for a good price.

Cheap enough I didn't have to put collision on the car.

No airbags to steal, antilock brakes to go bad.

I liked them when they were new.

The seat material held up well over the years.

A20A1
07-28-2002, 04:57 PM
a miata is like half the size of the 3g... wtf. I'm sure a toaster with wheels could turn on a dime if you gave it a push... some people will never learn... and you can't fit your friends in the mita either.

well anyways... I like the car because its my first car... I learned everything i know about automotive stuff from working on it.
And I have fun learnign new things, and moding it bit by bit.

I'd rather spend a few months or even years learning about each part I install and what it does, then throwing down a whole lot of money and having everything bolt up in a few hours just to be on the fast track to higher HP.

89AccordDXHB
07-28-2002, 06:45 PM
I like my 3Gee due more to what it means to me. My car is the bottom of the pile DX Hatch so can't like the car itself as much as I would like a "true high performance" car. I'm just being honest. Anyway, I like my 3Gee cuz it's the first car I paid off on my own, it wasn't salvaged with missing pieces (like my previous cars), and it's doing a great job with over 150k, five years later. I haven't got in an accident in it (knock on wood). It doesn't break down in a way that cost me an arm and a leg.

I never considered fixing it up until I ran in to this board. I had a 1000 watt system in it once till it got stolen. I have yet to see how much more fun it will be after I fix it up more.

It's a good car and it's doing a great job. It lets me make payments on my other car. I've purchased two new cars while owning this one because I can rely on my 89 Accord to be there.

Excuse me while I go to the garage and hug my car....:gay: :wtf:

1989 DX R
07-28-2002, 06:57 PM
The lines, the reliability, the uniqueness. Its all there.

Asturias
07-29-2002, 01:58 AM
It's like having a compact Legend coupe and I like the retractable headlights!

Reptile
07-29-2002, 04:17 PM
Thanks all of you for taking the time out to make these post. It's great to see this car get such a loyal falowing, but why hasnt the aftermarket picked up on this car yet. I know i dont need to say this here but this car simply rules.

Einstein
07-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Asturias
It's like having a compact Legend coupe and I like the retractable headlights!

Hey I had a legend! LS coupe...

I put the looks of the accord in between the legend sedan (blah) and the coupe (beauty, eh!).

The Legend was an absolute blast to drive, always chirping second gear and predictable handling. Too bad the power steering was slow as a butter churn :( .

Asturias
07-30-2002, 04:07 AM
Most definitely! I actually was in the market for a 1986-1990 Legend but my friend just happened to be buying a new car and she had taken such great care of her Accord that I decided to buy that instead.

1988starter
07-30-2002, 04:11 PM
I love the look, the lights that sexy pinstripe I have. The blue color that I only see on my kind of car. I love what power I have and I love being able to be a part of this group.

jigga225
07-30-2002, 09:03 PM
Man I just like the fact that I think it looks better than most other cars out there. Or maybe its just that I belive that. (Cause I;m big headed and I think nobody can fck wit me)

And it's 15 years old andI can hang wit the best of em - f the rest of em

HondaLuxury
08-01-2002, 02:05 AM
The one thing that I liked most about my 3geez was that they were so solid, I can really appreciate this now that I own a Mitsubishi, sure it handles about twice as good as the accords, but it just doesn't feel like a quality car. My accords felt like they would never break, no strange noises, nothing ever went wrong with them. Also, the Accords were just a pleasure to drive, everything was where it should be, they rode smooth but still handled well, and I think that they had good power. My last LXI was stock and I clocked 0-60 at about 7.5 seconds, it would get rubber in 3rd gear if I wanted. I think that the fuel injected engine has the perfect power curve, lots of torgue for a 4 cyl, but nice high end, too. Well, i'll stop talking now. the Mitsubishi just ate a transmission, so I guess that I'm just missing the hondas...

Reptile
08-01-2002, 04:29 AM
I know Mitsu's have never been known for their durability. Also i like that you timed the 0-60 time for us. Isn't a Camaro's 0-60 like 7.8 or something. I know that those POS Mustangs cant go any where near that fast. Does anyone know the 0-60 times for those cars for sure?

Inabj2
08-01-2002, 08:48 AM
ITS NOT 7.5 seconds stock. 9.5 seconds stock more likely.

Reptile
08-07-2002, 06:55 AM
Can anyone else think of any reasons to like these cars?

1988starter
08-07-2002, 07:34 AM
Backseat is more than aqiquate for sex.

markmdz89hatch
08-07-2002, 08:07 AM
especially the hatch b/c you can fold the back seats down too

markmdz89hatch
08-07-2002, 08:23 AM
...anyways....

I like mine for all the reasons listed and repeated already.

Also b/c I hate to get rid of things, especially without just cause. My '89 DX Hatch was given to me by my grandmother over 2yrs. ago with only about 120K on it. She bought is brand new, and kept it the garage it's whole life. Sure, there's a little rust, but for now I'll just call it character until I get it taken care of. I spent a rediculous amount of $$ (4G's) on the stereo, had it for a yr. then the whole car was stolen and interior and windshield destroyed. Everyone said get rid of it, I said, now is my opportunity to personalize it, after all I have to start from scratch anyway. So here I am, with a car that has so much work into it. Um... ...nope, no way will I get rid of it.

If it's broke, fix it, no need to say, stop dumping $$ into that car, just to spend 300 a month on another that can't match reliability, looks, handling, cost of ownership, etc. The car is all there. Like said before, it was way way ahead of it's time, Honda prides themselves for making the 3G specificly. They have also released statements that it's by far the most reliable engine they've EVER made.

It does bring people together. My friend and I have learned all the hands on stuff just from working on my car. Work on "the Honda", as it's known in the family, has brought my family back together.

And hey, it's my first car. Although I have a 300ZX, and it's much faster, I still love taking out the honda when it comes to just cruisin.

Reptile
08-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Can you give me a link that shows that Honda said this is there best build car, and how proud of it that they are?

markmdz89hatch
08-07-2002, 12:44 PM
i can try...
You'll have to give me some time on that one, it was like 3 yrs. ago when I found that...:confused: :banghead:

Reptile
08-07-2002, 05:43 PM
It's cool just plz try and get it for me. I will really apreiciat it.

Reptile
08-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Any luck so far with that link mark. I would really aprieciate it.

Reptile
08-23-2002, 05:25 AM
Have you found it yet mark?

conozo
07-28-2005, 11:15 PM
I like my 3G because
-flippy lights that i can make them wink by pressing the button quickly a few times
-sporty looks (its interior and exterior is about 6 years ahead of domestics)
-sporty ride
-big enough for 5 tall people, yet small on the outside
-watching the miles grow on the odometer
-easy to work with (no computers)
-And my #1 reason i love this car is that i have to drive all the road trips with friends because none of their cars which are 94 or newer are not as reliable and gas effecient as mine.

88Accord-DX
07-28-2005, 11:17 PM
EDIT

Got to much cash it in. BOTTOM LINE.