PDA

View Full Version : Idle/Throttle Problem.

HostileJava
09-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Ok, I geuss I went messing in things I shouldn't have since I know nothing of the carburated a20. My throttle is kinda sticky, it likes to stay at 2k unless u hold your foot under the pedal then it drops till the engine almost dies. Well tonight I had some free time and the cruise control doesn't work so I figured I'd pull it out. after pulling it out and plugging the vaccuum line, the car barely idles at 200. So i stuck the cable back on and through the firewall and stuck in through a nut but theyway i have it wedged in it holds the throttle at 2k with the clutch in and 3k with it out. Like cruise is always on unless, agian, I stick my foot back under the peddle. So i guess the cruise cable was holding enough pressure on the pedal before to keep it at 2k at idle. My question is was it a mistake to pull the cruise control out, is there a way to adjust the throttle so that it stays semi open at like 1k with the clutch out? Is the spring bad on the pedal or do I need to adjust somthing there? Carb gods answer my prayers.

A20A1
09-24-2004, 05:51 PM
you can add a return spring to the carb... I forget how the cruise is hookedup... you only removed the cable?

HostileJava
09-24-2004, 07:20 PM
No, i pulled out the cable, and the cruise unit itself, not sure what it's callled, but the unit that pulls the cable back and forth to move the throttle.

accordlxi2.0
09-24-2004, 07:37 PM
of the cruise control, i think that's called servo unit.
my car is doing the same thing, and i'm trying to get mine's sovled . . . . i have cruise too!
so you pulled the cruise out and it did'nt do it afterwards?!

i don't wanna get rid of my cruise.
but when i had my 86lx, i lowered the idle to 200rpm's.
i did that for a few reason though.
i can't wait till i convert to efi!!

HostileJava
09-25-2004, 03:59 AM
of the cruise control, i think that's called servo unit.
my car is doing the same thing, and i'm trying to get mine's sovled . . . . i have cruise too!
so you pulled the cruise out and it did'nt do it afterwards?!

i don't wanna get rid of my cruise.
but when i had my 86lx, i lowered the idle to 200rpm's.
i did that for a few reason though.
i can't wait till i convert to efi!!

No when I pulled out the cruise that made it worse, this thing idles like shit anywhere below 1k and when I pulled the cruise out it started idling around 100-200. So I guess the cable to the cruise was pulling the gas peddle up enough to get the idel around 2k normally and now without it it dips way low. Basically I think I just need to get more tension on the throttle cable, but I have know idea how to do that on the carb, on the FI it was easy , it was just two nuts you adjusted back and forth on the throttle body.

SteveDX89
09-25-2004, 05:53 AM
Adjustment of the throttle cable on the carbs is the same way. You'll have to pull the air box off to get access though. You'll see the cable and the 2 nuts that you use to adjust it.

accordlxi2.0
09-25-2004, 07:30 AM
of course it seem's like everything is easier on efi ,it sucks though.
the cruise cable probably need's to be lubed too.
i recently read what a20a1 wrote, about the throttle keeping slack and so forth so i have to really check it out today.
i hope it's easier for you.

HostileJava
09-25-2004, 07:57 AM
of course it seem's like everything is easier on efi ,it sucks though.
the cruise cable probably need's to be lubed too.
i recently read what a20a1 wrote, about the throttle keeping slack and so forth so i have to really check it out today.
i hope it's easier for you.

Do you have a link to that?

accordlxi2.0
09-25-2004, 12:05 PM
it right under ya . . . . .

http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37870

HostileJava
09-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Nevermind I figured it out, I found where the cable connects and tighted that up and then had to adjsut that screw that stops the throttle from going back all the way.

accordlxi2.0
09-25-2004, 02:50 PM
so okay what would yours do.

like when the engine was cold, you could rev it without it holding to 2,000rom's itself??
then once it's in normal temp range it'll do that??

HostileJava
09-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Mine would idle at 3k cold and drop only to 2k with the cruise installed, once I pulled that off, it allowed the pedal to come all the way out and it would drop to 200, I was able to adjust the screw though that controls how far the throttle closes. That solved the problem.