PDA

View Full Version : Rust in gas tank spout

Scarface
09-24-2004, 04:21 PM
I bought a 87 lxi and didnt notice untill i had to go get gas but there is rust all over the place where you fill up you tank. WHat kind of problems can this cause me?. I know when I bought it the guy just had the injectors cleaned.

HostileJava
09-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Rust won't really get into the tank at all, the filler on my hatch was completely rusted out around so that there was space between the body and the filler cap. Never hurt anything, the rust will eventually spread out further though.

maka_RTH
09-25-2004, 12:43 AM
if i remember right there was a recall or something about the gas filler/neck. i'm sure somebody knows more.., but you might be able to get it replaced for free at the Honda dealership.

Scarface
09-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Just checked all data and your right theres a recal on the fuel filler pipe.
So to take it in, how does that work? Do I just call them up? Do I have to be the original owner?

Thanks for the Heads!

maka_RTH
09-26-2004, 08:09 AM
If it's a recall i think you just go in and say that you need it replaced. they'll ask for your VIN number to make sure that it hasn't been done before(i think). if you know the code or something for the recall, you might want to take that too.., since i've heard of some dealerships saying there were no such recalls on different things. i've never actually done this, i've just read about others doing it.

accordlxi2.0
09-26-2004, 08:43 AM
it is a recall on 86-87 honda's, i had the same problem, and some how rust got in my fuel filter's.
honda replaced the whle hose assembly and that spout thingy, plus got a refill! :)