PDA

View Full Version : Failed Emissions

MrBen
09-25-2004, 07:26 PM
The record of the report taken 2 years ago, and the one taken today, can be seen here: http://www.emissiontestwa.com/testrecordmultivin.cfm?lic=756lnz&vin=jhmba5428gc030191

Right now I think it's the A/F mix... but I want opinions of what you all think. The car's got a lot of miles on it as you can see.

Thanks

A20A1
09-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Well the off idle mix seems okay... so something below 2,600 rpm is causing the problems.

It would be good to get a Vacuum reading at idle with a vacuum gauge and also a vacuum reading at the rpm they use durring the test.

Does it burn oil?
Is there oil in the air filter box?
Did you do anything tune up wise... like replace the PCV valve before the test, or did you just go as is.

smufguy
09-26-2004, 09:08 AM
when i failed for my CO and Co2. i was burning rich obviously. And this is what i did. I got new plugs, an adjustable fuel press regulator ( bumped the pressure to 35psi) and advanced the ignition timing a lil bit. Also, i poured in the gauranteed to pass emissions stuff and i passsed with no prob.

MrBen
09-26-2004, 09:26 AM
I went as is... and yes it burns a little oil but nothing major. I had a major tune up 2 years ago.. and the PCV valve was replaced then. No oil in the air filter box.

What do you think I should do?

A20A1
09-26-2004, 12:29 PM
vacuum reading... it would be nice to know it's not because of a vacuum leak.

MrBen
09-26-2004, 12:40 PM
I doubt it is... I just did one not too long ago. I'll do it tomorrow.

Just because is uses a little oil... do you think that it diminishes my chances of passing emissions?

A20A1
09-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Well I scaned in my oldschool vacuum testing sheet.
This is why I wanted you to test vacuum.

Even though it is numbered 1, 2 ,3 4, etc...
They are listed in seperate categories
- STEADY POINTER
- POINTER NORMAL - DROPS OFF / RISES
- FLUCTUATION POINTER

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3692
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3693

these are two images joined together.

smufguy
09-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I doubt it is... I just did one not too long ago. I'll do it tomorrow.

Just because is uses a little oil... do you think that it diminishes my chances of passing emissions?

well how about use the engine stop leak (the max strength one) and go and give it a try, and then when u get back change the oil?

I always use Engine restore in my car in every other oil change. It defenitely helps my car idle / run smoother.

MrBen
09-27-2004, 05:46 PM
I drove it over to my mechanic because right now I don't have the time to find the problem... he says it's burning way too rich. He adjusted it so it was that way in the first place, so my guess is he's a moron. Oh well, as long as it gets fixed. I cringe at the thought of him fixing my car but there isn't much else I can do right now since I'm moving tomorrow and the day after. I'll update this tomorrow.

A20A1
09-27-2004, 11:10 PM
damn he adjsuted it rich... not an easy task the first time around.

Unless he messed with the float or a vacuum line, instead of the A/F screw.

MrBen
09-28-2004, 01:14 PM
It was the O2 sensor. He said it was original. Also adjusted the mixture and found out he adjusted it wrong. Runs MUCH better now.. and passed emissions. Check out the link I gave in my first post for the update. I wish I had known it was the 02 since I could've done it... and not paid for the labor. *sigh*

I can't wait to have my tools and garage back..

blazin3gen
09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
cool :rockon:

danronian
09-28-2004, 02:45 PM
My car also just failed the emissions test but then my mechanic told me he "turned the timing up real far" (which cost me $25) and then it passed. He said it's probably the 02 sensors since they look original and everything else ignition wise was just replaced recently (other than the coil). Do these sensors come out easily or do they tend to break? I figure I'll replace them once I start working again, real soon hopefully. Should I get the bosch brand or go with cheaper ones?

smufguy
09-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Should I get the bosch brand or go with cheaper ones?

from autozone, there is nothing really lower. Its about $30 if i am correct, for one. 86-87 guys are lucky, we 88-89 guys have to spend the double to get two. :(