PDA

View Full Version : car wont start? anyone have an alternator for sale?

bobafett
09-25-2004, 07:45 PM
well my 3g is finally needing to be fixed. im definetly not used to this!!!

for that past year, i have noticed that when i step on the brakes, my headlight and dash lights dim for a split second.... i didnt really think anything of it, but today i went to start my car, and it would turn over, but not start and run. then when i got home from work and tried it, it started, but barely. so i went and got gas, and let it run in my driveway for a while, and shut it off. when i went to start it again i got nothing. just the RRR RRR RR RRR and my warning lights go dim every time the starter tries to turn the car over.

i dont THINK its the batteries fault, cause it has always worked fine for 3+ years, i dont know why the car would do this all of a sudden. but i have never had any starting problems in the past, this is definetly a new developement. im pissed off too, cause i was looking forward to driving the accord for a while, so i can install some of my parts on my 240!!! :(

help me out guys

88Accord-DX
09-25-2004, 08:35 PM
well my 3g is finally needing to be fixed. im definetly not used to this!!!

for that past year, i have noticed that when i step on the brakes, my headlight and dash lights dim for a split second.... i didnt really think anything of it, but today i went to start my car, and it would turn over, but not start and run. then when i got home from work and tried it, it started, but barely. so i went and got gas, and let it run in my driveway for a while, and shut it off. when i went to start it again i got nothing. just the RRR RRR RR RRR and my warning lights go dim every time the starter tries to turn the car over.

i dont THINK its the batteries fault, cause it has always worked fine for 3+ years, i dont know why the car would do this all of a sudden. but i have never had any starting problems in the past, this is definetly a new developement. im pissed off too, cause i was looking forward to driving the accord for a while, so i can install some of my parts on my 240!!! :(

help me out guys
Sounds like your alternator is going out. You can test the alternator with out taking it out. This is not recommended, on late model cars it could mess up the ECM. Jump the car off, while it is running, take off the negative battery cable. If it dies, your alternator is bad. Here is a link to one on ebay, don't know if you have an ebay account though, just trying to help out. link>>>>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7924501469&category=33573

keruhas184
09-25-2004, 09:49 PM
That ebay link is for a used alternator... its not even rebuilt. Speaking of which, I need a new alt. myself. I was looking at the NOPI universal rebuilt one (part #951+1861) that puts out 70amps ($77.73 shipped), but has no warranty. I'm not sure whether to buy that one or one from autozone (65amps, $85+core hassle, LLT W.)... What do you guys think?

88Accord-DX
09-25-2004, 10:01 PM
That ebay link is for a used alternator... its not even rebuilt. Speaking of which, I need a new alt. myself. I was looking at the NOPI universal rebuilt one (part #951+1861) that puts out 70amps ($77.73 shipped), but has no warranty. I'm not sure whether to buy that one or one from autozone (65amps, $85+core hassle, LLT W.)... What do you guys think?
Well, he asked if anyone on here has an alternator. Don't think many (if any) people on here going to have a re-built alternator hanging around. Personally, I would buy a alternator with a warranty as you mentioned. I paid about $89 for mine at O'reillys w/ lifetime warranty. If I was you, you're better off with a warranty even though the universal one is cheaper w/o a warranty. Your call on that though. The alternator comes out easier up through the firewall and engine by the way.

*little edit* If you want to go the cheapest route, you can take your alternator to a starter/alternator re-build shop & let them re-build your alternator for around $35-$40. All they do is clean your alternator up, replace some diodes that rotate around an armeture and/or replace the armeture if it is worn to bad.

maka_RTH
09-26-2004, 08:13 AM
also, you could get a new 4th gen alt. that puts out more amps..., and requires slight modification(i think using washers or something to that effect...). there's a thread on it in R&D here (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=30936)
although, if you do want a used one.., i do have one in my '86 hatch parts car i could pull out. it's still good.., but don't know how old it is...

keruhas184
09-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Hmmm... thanks for the link. But I think that 4gen alt only works for efi people :(. So I guess I either get a rebuilt one from Autozone, or a rebuilt Bosch from NOPI. Smurfguy was pretty adamant that Bosch is the way to go... is it really that much better than Autozone brand?

Thanks!

smufguy
09-26-2004, 08:56 AM
yeah, Bosch is better than Beck & Anley. But the Autozone alternator has a limited month warrenty. So what i would do is, Get the alternator from autozone. I have had mine from autozone for the past 5 months and i have put about 12K miles on it already and it works like new.

Dont forget to get the new belt (the number i already gave in the thread) while putting in the 4g alternator. THe only mod u will have to do is change the bolt (get a machine bolt from walmart) and remove the top 12mm bolt on the alternator bracket.

Chris, dont get used alternators i have had one and crap out on me on the wrong time. :( sucked for me. But anywho, the new ones are cheaper. I paid like 75 i guess for the 4g alt.

also, jump your car and see how it works out. Usually, that prrrr prrrrrr noice comes only if ur battery is low on juice, ie its not recharging on the go or there is a leak somewhere. SO i would say try jumping it and see what happens. ALso check the alternator clip and see if its loose.

note: once the car is off and the key is taken out. Remove the positive or the ground cable from the battery terminal and put a test light between the cable and the terminal to find out if there is any power leak. the bulb glows, if there is any.

keruhas184
09-26-2004, 09:18 AM
yeah, Bosch is better than Beck & Anley. But the Autozone alternator has a limited month warrenty. So what i would do is, Get the alternator from autozone. I have had mine from autozone for the past 5 months and i have put about 12K miles on it already and it works like new

Yeah, the Bosch alt from NOPI is $125 vs. $85 from Autozone, and I have to pay the core shipping charge. I'll stick with AZ unless MeanGreen makes one for our cars (and for carb ppl).... I just sent them an email. Thanks for the help guys.

maka_RTH
09-26-2004, 01:16 PM
i know mean green makes one for our cars.., not sure about carb though... i got the mean green one myself(however it hasn't been installed in a running vehicle yet...)

Slavic
09-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Want to try the 2nd generation (91-95) Acura Legend alternator? It should be only a bit more expensive and a huge upgrade.
I dont know exactly what year it is but I bought an acura legend alternator that bolts up perfectly except for the need of a couple of washer at the top mount bracket. I think its an 93 or 94 becaus I remember trying an 89 and the alternator clip plugin was different. I have a 2500 watts stereo system and I can play it at full blast without the light even dimming in the night( I mean not even a little dim!!!) i WISH i KNEW EXACTLY WHICH ALTERNATOR THIS IS. ALL i KNOW IS THAT IT WORKS GREAT ANT IT COME FROM AN ABOVE 89 LEGEND. Quoted from http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=34328